Register now to get rid of these ads!

how do you get rust off of glass?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rebstew187, Nov 18, 2005.

1. rebstew187

rebstew187

On my 61 Bel Air the rear roof has the overhang or visor over the back window.through the years I guess it has gotten pin holes in the gutter and the water drips on the back glass.on both side it has rust stains in the glass.I have seen a few of these 61's that has the same stain on them.I have tried a few things on it but nothing seems to work.anyone know what will take it out without scratching the glass

2. dadseh

dadseh

Get moms pot scrubber pad and some soapy water.

DADSEH

3. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia

If dadseh's suggestion doesn't work, maybe try a 50/50 with vinegar and water. I don't know if it'll affect the glass, but it should take the rust stains out.

Take care...

Troy.

4. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

It may not come off. If a car has been setting for a long period, the acid in the rain will actually etch the glass, and the rust will be imbedded right into the glass itself. My fleetline rear glass is like that.

5. L B

L B
    from So Cal

You got glass in my rust.........

6. L B

L B
    from So Cal

tripple 000 steel wool will get it off and won't scratch or harm the glass. I think you got rust on my glass ? L B

7. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Try a place that deals with jet boats. Many times headers (like Basset) dont clear the back of the transom and the headers "drip" water on them, leaving rust stains. I tried freaking EVERYTHING, or so I thought, then tried some cleaner they had, spay on, whipe off. Completely clean in seconds.

8. Lionheart

Lionheart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NAVAL JELLY rust dissolver, any auto parts store, hell even Wallmart has the pink gel.

9. InPrimer

InPrimer

Soak a rag in COKE* TM and it will eat the rust same goes for light rust on chrome. Back in the '50s it was the only way we knew how...

10. I've had luck with soaking a rag with vinegar and letting it sit on the area, keeping the rag saturated with a spray bottle...don't get it on the paint...

11. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Try some toilet bowl cleaner, I have used that and it will take calcium off the glass also, but do not spray glass cleaner on top of it, it will smoke and really scare shit out of ya if you dont expect it.......I know I tryed that too....RP

12. Distilled white vinegar about 40% acetic acid. Carefull it will burn your skin.

13. KnuckleBuster

KnuckleBuster

The center support for the visor on my 54 Chevy does the same thing - leaves a rusty stain right down center of windsheild.

Try some CLR spray - let it sit for a while then whipe it off - it may take a few shots, but I find it works really well.

Good luck,
    Jay

14. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Any cola will do.
    Pepsi, cheap stuff.
    As long as it's cola.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno how you'll do it, but Metal Prep removes rust from glass. Use it full strength, maybe the rag deal like posted above. Let it sit a lil while, gone. No etching or damage. Did a headlight lense a few years back that was basically junk due to caked on and stained glass. Soaked it overnight and voila...a NOS headlight lense.

16. guiseart

guiseart

Rubbing/polishing compound and a buffing wheel on a drill... seriously... and a teenager.

Or a teenager on a drill

17. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

The best way to get a smooth clean surface on glass is to use "Whink" its in a brown bottle, get it at the grocery store . Make sure glass is out of direct sunlight. Wet area around glass but keep glass as dry as possible. Apply Whink to a dish rag , move rag in a circular motion applying a bit of pressure, you will see the rust and all waterspots go away. Rinse with fresh water Now apply Rainx or something like it. This is the way that the entire yachting world keeps all that glass looking so clean! Dont do in direct sunlight or allow the whink to set on it for a long period or it will fog/etch the glass.