Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you get rid of mouse smell?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fortypickup, Jun 20, 2010.

1. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

I had mice in my headliner and it smells like...well...mouse shit! How do I get that smell out of there?

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

rip it out, clean with Simple Green, spray with a good deodorizer, install new headliner.

get a cat

3. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

my cat will rip out the headliner for me!:D

4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Go to the pet store and buy "simple solution" or "natures miracle" - enzymatic cleaner for cat pee. Spray liberally, let dry, spray again.

5. Hogdriver

Hogdriver
    from VA

I had a Vette that mice had invaded inside and cats had lived on top of outside. You have never seen so much mouse and cat shit in your life. I soaked everything with about 2 gallons of Natures Miracle that I loaded into a sprayer to douche the whole mess down with. I let it soak and just kept repeating the process until it finally smelled normal again. I also sprayed a shit load of Simple Green on the whole affair.
    Good luck.

6. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

7. Buy a car that does not smell!

8. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I burn rubber, that seems to work

9. thanks...they snuck into the Stude at the shop...taking it home...the cats WILL get it - if they make the trip....only the back of seat....

10. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

I totally restored the interior...everything new! When I got the first clues of mice in the headliner I tried everything...including mega doses of Van Halen cranked to 10...didnt work! Dam now I gotta replace all the new shit I put in! Stinkin critters!

11. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

Spray inside the car with straight lacquer thinner and let it air out.
    Dumbass Notice: Be sure to cover up or remove everything you don't want sprayed with lacquer thinner.

12. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

HeHe:D

13. JimSwann

JimSwann

A friend of mine told me to use 1 cup of baking soda and 1 cup of vinegar, dont mix. Use 2 seperate containers put the cup of soda on the pass. floorboard and other cup of vinegar on the drivers floorboard. Close the car up for a week or so and the smell will be less if not gone. I did use it in a stinky freezer and it worked, but have yet to try it in a car. I was thinking that the vinegar might cause some rusting. Anyone ever heard of this?

14. skoh73

skoh73

fortypickup- you're supposed to turn it to 11!

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Drink beer and eat beans. You'll never notice the mouse smell.:eek:

16. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Thats funny as Hell!:D

17. BTB-Derby

BTB-Derby

Your all heart on that one:D

18. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

...and thats even better! :D

Dudes I am so close to Nuking that dam car to get rid of the smell!:D

19. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

Or beans and beer and boiled eggs

20. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Rip the headliner out and don't look back. Wear a really good respirator. Mouse sh1t can carry the hantavirus, and when it dries out it is easily aerosoled. If you breathe it it can mess you up but good. It might help to wet the headliner down first so that the dust is not as easily made airborne.

21. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Thanks Man

I'm willing to try anything at this point!

22. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Now that could be toxic! Worse than the mouse shit!

23. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Thanks for the heads up...a respirator is actually a good idea...with the smell and all!

24. I once had that very same 'mousey' smell under the hood of my 55 chev. I removed it and installed a 'rat' and have not been bothered further by that 'mousey' smell.:D

25. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Would that be a 327?

26. I used a germicidal cleaner, not only does it kill all those bad things in rat & mouse shit but also neutralizes the smell....joe

27. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I did the vinegar and baking soda thing used it on seats
    the guy had cats keeping mice out that worked the bad cat pee
    it did get the cat pee smell out after a while

28. You need to use some professional cleaner like Bac-Azap which the animal pest control guys use. I've used this on job sites with very good results for mice, cat pee, bat shit and lots of other stinky aromas. The key is active enzimes that attack the smell causing bacteria. This stuff works. Here is a link to the best price I've found for it.
    http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies....en=PROD&Product_Code=WCSNBA&Store_Code=NWS001
    I have no connection with these people, just a satisfied customer who uses it.

29. All the beer, beans and boiled eggs will not work if that little critter has died up there:mad:. I speak from experience, I had to replace the headliner completly. Nothing would get the smell out except replacement, in your case maybe remove, clean and replace if you can salvage. I keep traps all around the garage and under the car now. It is amazing how bad those little bastards can smell and how much damage they can do to a stored car:eek:!