Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I make Flush mount Fender Skirts??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COS, Sep 2, 2010.

1. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I know there have been post on here about making skirts and have searched but can't find what I am looking for....

I like to get some ideas on how to make the skirts.. I have a good Idea on how I want to make the latch system to hold them on... See below vid... Figure if it works for a truck topper it would work for a skirt....

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z7d0M37xKzI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z7d0M37xKzI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Do I make a pencil rod frame and skin it??? How do I make them look the same and how do I get the contour of the fender right??

Give me a little slack I am half polish..... Any ideas would be great... Tips tricks or shit I shouldn't try....

Thank for the input....

-COS

2. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Looking for a finish product like this with out the flare lip on bottom....

[​IMG]

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I were going to make skirts I'd use a hammerform. basically you make 2 "skirts" out of wood and sandwich your sheetmetal between them with an inch or 2 hanging out. then you get a hammer and bend the extra over.

I'd have to look at some skirts to see how they attach, then I'd make up some brackets and levers and such that work the same way.

easy squeezy.

I don't see your pics due to blocks at work so I cant tell what your flare looks like.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

do not make them out of pencils.

5. geoking

geoking

COS,
    Another approach is a flexible shape pattern over a wire frame will give you the "information" needed for the contour. http://people.delphiforums.com/snotzalot/body/paperpatterns.htm is a good explanation. Just make a wire outline similar to that of your needed part. Cover the form with a couple of layers of tape, pull it off and lay on top of your metal to give you a starting point. Since this is not too difficult to make, I would recogmend you research flexible shape patterns as a start...one good place is www.metalmeet.com. The annual meet in OBlong, Il. is coming up and you could go there and have the friendly folks teach you all about it for free while having fun and actually making them while you are there. OR If you want to come to Parker,Co. I can help as well. The really nice thing about this size project is that you can do several times while you learn and the cost of materials scrap is next to nothing. You'll need a small english wheel to give you some shape. (Even an el-cheapo one for this small panel will work). If you really want focussed attention, contact one of the guys like Wray Schelin email= [email protected] and take a weekend class that let's you build your own project with tutoring. You can also ask on the web site whom is near you in Kansas City and find a more than willing metalshaper friend that will get you covered. The one thing to know about metal shaping is that there is always more than one way to get there.
    Whether a wireform with flex pattern, a hammer form as suggested above or anything else??? What works for you with your level of experience and available tools is the way to go. Have at it! You can make them> I promise you can.
    Regards,
    George
    303 847 9980 cell

6. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Thanks for the links fellas!!! That hamer form looks like the way to go!! I hope a tear drop shape will work with that method..... Now I need to go to lowes and get me some MDF....

-COS