Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Detroit, Hop Up, & More!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 4, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Hot Rod Detroit, Hop Up, & More!

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Cyclone_racer likes this.
  2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The Jalopy Journal has four typos in it...and that's about it...hahaha

kidcampbell71 and Speedy Canuck like this.
  3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, the Motor-Fuckin-City in print. I also did a quick review of that here in the shop after 'rama this year. Worth it, even with the new stuff it's all historical and not focused on just 1 thing. And your vid had a typo too, kid. That Mercedes is a Super Comp or Super Gas car with some really sophisticated (at the time) suspension engineering. It won the Riddler that year.

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Real race cars don't win show trophies. They win Wally Parks statues. :)

I know that car though, it had this strange pivot in the center of the chassis and a bad ass SBC. I was actually running Super Comp at the time and never saw the thing at a track anywhere though...

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Paint

Paint

But your post has a typo too, Ridler has 1 d. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2015
  6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Sure glad I didn't respond,,,,
    I am still standing by my mailbox awaiting my copy of HOP UP ( is all caps correct???)

7. I polished the wheels of the Dale Hunt Riddler award Grand Am drag car...friend of a friend when I was a kid...
    That book is really cool. I bought it the second day it came out...tells a lot of the history...but not all of it!

8. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Ryan, Watched your video and must admit I was motivated to buy all three books.
    But the comment about copy being shit that nobody reads anyway...Oooh, ouch. Well, I've been thinking it's about time to quit anyway...

Pat Ganahl

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's the self deprecation that makes a writer, right? :)

10. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

If a publication is not worth reading it is not worth buying. I did not realize the value in Rodders Journal until I read a couple of issues. Subscribed ever since.

Saxman likes this.
  11. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

Ours has 4 mistakes too. but if none reads em its fine! There are some rad articles in Both Jalopy Journal and HopUp writers make the difference. Good job to all you literary folk. Ill have to pick up That Detroit book looks awesome!..

Thanks for the words Ryan , we may be getting good comments on the first , but lets see if we can keep the momentum going. Thank you so much

Tim Sutton

12. I lived dead center in Hot Rod Detroit when all that was happening. The car on the cover would become the little deuce coupe. "Chili" Catallo bought that car when he was 15. His parents bought a grocery store from my parents and he was a good friend. We drug that car out of the weeds and he made it into a a show car 4 times over before he was 21. That photo was before A Bros or Barris had anything to do with the car. In the beginning, it was the Silver Sapphire. Body by Pete's Custom Collision and Scallops and striping by Paul Hatton. I was at the first Autorama and so was the Frank Mack T. Great memories for an old guy.

Fly'n Kolors likes this.
  13. I'm one of those people that is guilty of not paying enough attention to the bylines. But you and Baskerville were two writers I always noticed, and always read.

14. flamingokid

flamingokid

Whether it was sports,cars,or literature,I always have to read my favorite writers word for word.But I also look at the pics. ;)

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I was wrong, that car was in C/A and ran a best of 7.87 @ 171. Yes, it was a swing arm chassis that actually worked and deserved the Ridler that year. I know that's not normal TJJ subject matter but there's a few real racers among us. AND it's in the book review so...:cool: