Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod/custom Big Rigs? Peterbilts Etc Etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GRSMNKYCUSTOMS, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS Member

ok so i started a thread last week about it, and Ryan asked me to wait till this week so lets try it again, cuz it even sparked his interest!

i know there is alot of truck drivers on the hamb, and i know chrome shop mafia is here, so lets discuss hot rod or custom tractors.
    i am going to be purchasing a late 50's early 60's peterbilt to pull the car hauler for my custom shop, and i was hoping to learn a little about which ways these trucks are being customized (and basically how far the envelope can be pushed!), and what is availible on the market.
    and i dont know about you fellas but wouldnt some pics of these trucks be great????

lets see what we can stir up!....fellas?
  2. the duke

the duke Member

sounds like a neat post to me sorry I don't know jack about semis
  3. In my seldom humble opinion, old trucks do not benefit much from envelope pushing. Like '32-'34, '39-'40 Fords, they are cool with just a little detailing.

Here's my Viper Brother Terry Lee's '56 KW. It's for sale or trade

chili

Attached Files:

4. muffman58

muffman58 Member

As a former over the road truck driver, I been watching the ''Trick my truck'' show with some intrest. I didn`t want to sound like a dumbass, but I had thought that chrome shop mafia on here might be the same as the show. I really like what they do on there and think the drivers of these rigs do also! They have really out-done some trucks to the point that I don`t know if I would drive them over the road. Too dam nice! When I drove National Carriers had some real nice trucks. I can`t remember but there was a place in Iowa that also had nice ones, all black & chrome. I think a sprint car driver owned them! Have you bought one yet? You gonna get a 379 Pete?
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. screwtheman

screwtheman Member

I'm not sure how "traditional" it is. :confused: But there's a truck customizer about an hour away from me doing some crazy stuff...

[​IMG]
  6. Redsled

Redsled Member
    1. S.F.C.C.
    2. 46-48 chevy sedans the bomb sedans owners

We spotted these on the hot rod power tour last year.

Attached Files:

7. Mootz

Mootz Member

New show on CMT (GASP!) called trick my truck. Did a 50's style rig that turned out pretty cool. White tuck and roll, pinstriping, painted steelies etc... Check out the photo gallery here:

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/Trick_My_Truck/100003/episode.jhtml

Show has a real redneck feel to it but I can't help but watch. They do some pretty cool stuff for good people.

Mootz
  8. Lil John

Lil John Member

AHHH TMC. Out of des Moines. Used to be all KW. Now he went off and is into Freightliner Classics...Black and shiney alluminuminum:D...I belive your right he did have something to do with winged sprints
  9. Mootz

Mootz Member

Not so traditional but chopped nonetheless. Has a pretty mean look to it...

[​IMG]

Mootz
  10. Jr.

You might want to check out www. eastcoastlargecars.com They have quite a few pictures you might be interested in. I might have a 57 KW to sell, I was going to fix it up but got sidetracked on a 73 KW extended hood.
  11. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia Member

Ah, yes, 4-State Trucks, Inc./ Chrome Shop Mafia's Mob Sled, that was an interesting truck... i'm proud to say that the strap-less exhaust and strap-less fuel tanks were my idea directly for that truck... it's an awesome truck in person...

Take-care...

Troy.
  12. 392_hemi

392_hemi Member

Sure would like to have a Mack Mod. B.
  13. brandokust

brandokust Member

Sounds kinda wierd but i dream of becoming a long hauler, sitting behind the wheel of some big ass rig with tons of chrome and just cruizin down the highway for miles. Hey, it's basically a rod run with a pay check at the end.
  14. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia Member

As a side note to you guys:

I'll be at the M.A.T.S. (Mid-America Truck Show) in Louisville, Kentucky, next week, so, if you'd like some pics of custom trucks, send me a PM and i'll send what i can when i can.

As another side not, the Trick My Truck show on CMT should be in its second season, hopefully, as, I was talking with Ryno a-little while back and he informed me that there were no for-sure answers, but, that it seemed like it will be going for a second season. Also, i've seen a few things saying that it's confirmed for the second season, so, if you guys liked the show, then it should be coming right back atchya'...

If anybody needs contact with 4-State Trucks, Inc./ Chrome Shop Mafia for some obsucre reason, i deffinetely can put you in contact with Bryan, he owns the place.

As a final side note to all of this, as I've been in contact with Bryan for a little while, last year, when the Mob Sled was being showcased for the First Annual M.A.T.S. Big Rig Build-Off (It took second), i was talking with him and ended up bringing up the idea of a "lead sled" themed semi truck. So, he's put me in charge of designing it, and, hopefully it will be something not only the truckers dig, but something you guys will like, also. I'm not releasing details on the truck, nor do we have a set time-frame of when it will be built, but, Bryan would like to build one.

Other than that, this thread deffinetely catches my interest, because semi-trucks are another area of interest to me, greatly...

Awesome thread!!!

Later...

Troy.
  15. scarylarry

scarylarry Member

Hey Troy, how DID you hang the tanks??
  16. AZAV8

AZAV8 Member

O.K. all you picture posting wizards. Somebody with a copy of the Hot Rod-Rod & Custom No. 10 Quarterly from 1979 post the pictures of the '41 Ford cab over car hauler. Starting on page 32 is a rod test of Chuck Porter's cab over he used as a car hauler. Its hot rodded with a Dodge big block wedge V8, turbocharged. Yes, that's the same Chuck Porter of the hot rod truck recently discovered in California that was in a thread here recently. This is a neat truck and is exactly what needed here.

My scanner is on the fritz right now otherwise I'd scan my copy and email the pics to someone who can post.

A little help please.
  17. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros. Member

Chrome Shop Mafia, hats off to you. You guys do some pretty cool trucks. My brother and I always go to Iowa 80 (world's biggest truck stop) in Walcott for the truck show in July. They have some real nice rigs from all over the US show up there. Alot of those guys drive them day in and day out. My Grandfather started driving truck in '48 and retired in '93. He had some stories from over the years. The best is when he met BC Frey at a truck stop out in Iowa. I think he said he had a White with a V-16 Detroit engine in it. Was known all over the country to haul freight in record time. Goverment even hired him one time to haul some kind of equipment from the midwest to out east. They said that there officals said the fastest it could be done was in 12 hours, he did it in 10!!!
  18. Hip

Hip Member

I just so happen to be looking at a
    52 Chevy COE at a guys yard. He's gonna sell it (cheap) but dosnt know when!:( I can't wait to get that thing home, and start cutt'in on it.
    This will kill two birds with one stone for me. My love for these style trucks and some way to tow my junk back and forth to Pomona or anywhere i want.
  19. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia Member

Larry,

Tell you the truth, i'm not sure how Bryan acutally hung them in the end, i had a few ideas that i had sent him, my idea was basically to have a sleave that would cover a real tank under the sleave, so that it would be more functional. I belive Bryan just took some standard tanks and weled bars off the back that were connected to the frame, i'll ask him when i'm down in Louisville. The Mob Sled's got some other trick stuff, too, i'll have to show your guys the truck that really sent Bryan into truck customizing, recently, the outlaw truck, it may be a bit more you guys' style, or not. Either way, i'll be sure to ask him when i'm down there, if i can get a moment to talk with him.

@ Zettle Bros.:

Hey, thanks, praise is always good. I hope that 4-State can continue to wow the trucking world and outside worlds with some of the insane ideas played around with.

I really hope that when we can get around to building our "Lead Sled" based truck, that is, Bryan and 4-State and myself, that you guys will truly be interested in it. The cool thing is that i'm fairly involved, or can be, with trucks like this at only 14-years-old, so, that's cool...

Meanwhile, i'll find a pic of the outlaw truck for you guys...

later...

Troy.
  20. Frank

Frank Member

A friend and I was talking about wishing there were some truck shows like that in Texas. How can I find out where some shows of this type are held?

My Daddy used to drive Mack's so I've always had a soft spot for them. His CB handle was "Short-legged Dog".

<--PROUD son of a Trucker!
  21. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS Member

i have a 47 advanced design chevy c.o.e. myself too that im building,...
    i brought this subject up just cuz i wanna get into a vintage rig,...and im hearing all this stuff about this t.v. show on cmt, but havent seen it yet. but there has to be a "traditional" scene for the rigs, i would assume, ...

these chopped ones you guys posted are fuckin crazy!.... im sitting here trying to figure out how you can possibly dump these things and still be able to haul with em,...or if its just a looks deal, like cant actually be used to haul a 8-10 car hauler.
  22. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can guess, this is the Outlaw truck, it was sold awhile back for about 85-grand, this was the truck that got Bryan a real name in customizing trucks. You can obviously tell he took a different path of low amounts of chrome, primer-look paint, black powder-coat exhaust, etc. etc. It's had a few changes recnetley to be road legal after it was sold to Donnie Landry. And, yes, that is a real bullet-hole, the whole passenger-side of the truck has been riddled with real bullet holes that have been plugged from the back to keep water and other things from finding their way in...

Later...

Troy.

P.S. What til' you see Dino's '54...
  23. Chrome Shop Mafia

Chrome Shop Mafia Member

Here are some pics of Dino's 1954 Kenworth:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ostrich (sp???) skin leather interior with hardwood floor, 265-inch wheelbase, etc...

later...

Troy.

P.S. After riding in this, it has a '96 frame under it, it still shakes, rattles, and rolls... haha...
  24. xtralow

xtralow Member

On a side note I was listening to a program on CNBC,they were interviewing an exec from one of the huge trucking operations I can not remember who but the guy was saying how there was a huge shortage of drivers and if the trend continues it is going to get worse,alot worse.

Remedy for this: build some Bitchn Big Rig's that Truckers Really want to Haul Ass in........ breaker Breaker One Nine This is chopped,dropped & Louvered PeteRbilt here!

let the Big Rig building begin,alot of styles and ideas from the HAMB would be cool on these big rigs....How a bout a Jimmy White "Freightliner" Special:D :D With a choprods whacked top !hahaha!.....

I worked at a Truck Stop for 4 years (my first after school job) There was nothing cooler than seeing a beautiful Big Rig come rollin in,there just wasnt enuff of em!!....Bitchn Big Rigs are cool,keep the photos coming!
  25. shadowmtkustomz

shadowmtkustomz Member

My Dad's truck.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ya, so it's photoshopped. So what. Looks friggen cool. Maybe when we win the lottery....
  26. Buick57

Buick57 Member

Hay
    What a cool thread I will try to get some picks together of some Aussie trucks....:)
  27. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup Member

here is my son mike's '03 KW....he spent last week bagging the frontend, here's a couple shots for ya, the first shot was last year and the other 2 were last week...mike

Attached Files:

28. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, and here I thought you were going to say "rebuild the railroads and clear the interstates for passenger cars." :D
  29. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS Member

30. bcarlson

bcarlson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Autocar is sweet!

Ben
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.