Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Capital of the USA, where is it???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Nov 3, 2011.

1. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

T.J. thats all of SoCal where can you go

2. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Valinda, between Maplegrove and Doublegrove and between Pass&Covina road and Valinda. Two hot rod on that street

3. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

que???

4. Deuces

Deuces

Where else but Motown!!! :D:):D

5. kozik

kozik

You would be surprised at how many cars there are stashed away in san francisco. I know of at least 60 really decent cars years 1917-1975 just in the area inside the red box. there may be more. when we do the Old Car Picnic which is really just word of mouth...we draw sometimes 800 local cars.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

How do you come up with that man? Well it is part of SoCal so.

7. Ebert

Ebert

I will take some shit for this, but SO-Cal......

8. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I take it you have not been to Weed

9. Greater DownTown Minnesota...in the season that is.

10. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Realy I had no idea

11. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I guess these aren't big events....

Grand National Roadster Show
    Motorama
    Los Angeles Roadster Show
    El Mirage Dry Lakes
    Antique Nationals
    March Meet
    Petersen Museum
    NHRA Museum
    NHRA Winternationals and World Finals
    California Hot Rod Reunion

12. rover

rover
    from pomona

Everyone knows its so cal, LA. Specifically... Pomona. The world flocks here to buy, sell, and race hot rods and hot rod parts. This is where it all started. It has definitely spread everywhere and is BIG everywhere. We hot rod EVERYTHING here. So many well known hot rods have come from so cal. More than anywhere.... Washington DC doesnt have the largest population nor is it the most exciting part of our country. But it is the capital. Definitely the most significant to our country. Same with a Pomona. Its the most significant. Remember, we're talking HOT RODS.

13. rover

rover
    from pomona

Correction... it started down south running from the MAN. But the pilgrims dudnt land in DC.

14. Deuces

Deuces

Ummm.. Sorry, but I don't touch that stuff anymore.. :rolleyes:

15. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Columbus,Ohio !

16. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

If you're asking where the Hot Rod Capital is now, you'll never get a concensus, it's everywhere and anywhere. If you are asking where it started I'd have to say Detroit. Henry Ford was racing against the Wintons in 1901 and he and Barney Oldfield raced one of the 999 cars in '03. Henry also set a land speed record on a frozen lake with a 999 car. That's hardcore hotrodding right there! :)

17. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

The reason Southern California gets so much credit is that is where all the magazines were founded.All they knew to cover was their own.I was stationed in California in the 60s and didnt see that many hot hods.The mid west has a lot of cars and they are driven every day.

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

That's just ridiculous.
    "They knew to cover their own"...whats that supposed to mean?

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yes, the midwest is known for having ALL the speed equipment manufacturers start there. They must have ALL moved to Southern California later on to be near the magazines, huh? :rolleyes:

We'll simply ignore all the Mickey Thompsons, Barney Navarros, Vic Edebrocks, Ed Iskenderians, Eddie Meyers, Frank Kurtis', Dode Martins, Alex Xydias', Don Blairs, and the THOUSANDS of others who created the whole thing. :cool:

20. outlaw256

outlaw256

well this is a question that will never be anwsered the way everyone wants it to be.we all have a place where we want it to be.i was born in chicago but thats not the answer, i moved to tn. but that aint the answer either. than i moved to al. and that aint it either tho i would love to have it been in anyone of those places.but being a student of history, all kind of history is cool to me.but from what ive read,studied and just kinda put facts together. it is gonna be s cal.alot of talent stayed on there after the war,which kinda drew more talent to the area. and with the weather being good for hotrddin yr. round.it was paradice in the making.jmho.

21. I was 14 when I moved to SoCal in 1969 from Brooklyn New York. I was crazy about cars. Here's my observations. In N.Y. there were a couple early 60 tripower Pontiacs on my block. Pretty stock except for the tripower. With the hood down, just an old man's sorta car. On the next block, this guy Jerry had a pretty cool 64 442. The guy dating my neighbor Trudi (wow was she cute) had a black primer with blue tinted windows early 50's Chevy with a 396 and a three speed stick. It sat really high and was pretty mean looking. Now, me and my friends rode our bikes all day, every day for miles. We'd see an occasional Mach I or GTO. And when we did, we'd stop our bikes and stare for a long time. Now, I move to the San Fernando Valley in the Summer of 69. On a day to day ....I saw everything that I thought to be confined to the pages of the magazines I'd been reading all those yrs prior. Straight axle 65 GTO as a local daily driver for one lucky kid, straight axle tri-5 Chevys....Hell the cop cars were 68 Belvederes with 440 Magnums blowin through Hemi Muff.s. I saw a handfull of pretty cool stuf every day that Summer. Now, Summer's over and I start my first year at North Hollywood High School. Holy shit! The student parking lot's full of "axle" cars, Max Wedges, 409's, Cobra Jet 428's (that guy's cousin drove a brand new Boss 429 Mustang every day), name it. One guy Pat drove a 66 or 7 Chevelle with 2 4's on a tunnel rammed big block every day. Another guy had a 64-5 Chevelle with a single quad tunnel rammed 327 with 5.13 gears for his every day car. Keep in mind, we're young, in school and have part time jobs after school at best. So, these were our only cars. My first cars were pure shitholes in case you wonder. I was a couple yrs out of high school by the time I learned the art of hustling to get better rides. I got my first Vette, a flared 64 with a 365 HP 327 in 74 at age 18. From there, the rest of my cars were pretty cool. I think a couple yrs later I had my 3rd Vette, a 68 or 9 T-Top with 350/4 speed, and I worked pumping gas and light mechanical work at the corner gas station. Try that today.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Word! This question is joke, right?!

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Mike why move all the way to L.A. when there is tons of stuff going on here that you won't or can't attend. Good Guys was last weekend and I didn't see you there or the our Party.

Heavy Rebel was in July and your weren't there.

Shady Side Drags was in June and you weren't there.

Auto Fair Spring or Fall and I'm pretty sure you didn't go to those.

I'm not dogging on you because I know you're busy with work and it doesn't allow for you to attend. However moving to a far more expensive city/state just so you can have even more going on around you and not attend doesn't sound like a smart move. Now if you just don't like the area and need a change of pace.....by all means move away. After all that's what landed me in NC.

Austin is the same size city as Charlotte with the same amount of people. However the quality of cars is way way better IMHO when compare to Charlotte. You might want to check it out because you'd like it a lot. best of all it's the South Still!

24. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

I know its not Denver but we are the skiing and snowboard capital of the world!!! I would say wendover utah is one week in august and love every minute of it!!!!!!!

25. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Who cares, really? Lets all be thankful we can have hotrods wherever we are and we arent all told we have to go to one spot!!!

Then I can see all the bitchy threads about that!:
    "Who was here first?"
    "Who had the hottest girl in high school?"
    "Who has the most traditional car?"...I could go on

I know I sound like a huge bitch but can we please get back to BUILDING hot rods and not all this petty crap like this and all the "look what I found" shit!?!:mad:

26. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

It's not Nashville, nor will it ever be.

27. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I vote for Berkeley.