Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot rod black paint job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodymanmp, Feb 24, 2009.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

2. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

our coupe was done with dupont hot rod black and it came out great.
    Gasser Girl[​IMG]

3. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Actually I forgot all about it but back in the day I helped some friends shoot some paint at an auto class at a college...and it was streaky as heck! The auto teacher took one look at it and said 'is dry and patchy the look you're going for?' then took the gun, set the spray pattern correctly, and showed us the right way to do it.

We still f'ed it up, but it wasn't the teachers fault! :D

4. TomH

TomH

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  5. bodymanmp

bodymanmp

Just repainted my 37 again with better results,i think tou need at least 3 coats to get the proper look and sheen,also i tried to keep it wet ,but had trouble ,65 degrees and used med. Temp. Hardner ,maybe should use slow????? Could not really tell what it was going to look like until this morning,looks good now,i think its harder to paint than gloss paint,at least you can wet sand and buff,with this what you see or spray is what you get,thanks for all the help

6. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

The colder the ambient temp, the faster of a reducer/catalyst you want. The warmer the slower. Glad you got better results, it is tough to spray sometimes, you need to have optimum conditions.

7. BBobb

BBobb

This is the ......nevermind

8. I had the same results with the tiger striping thing , and found that three coats fixed it right up.The next day it looked great. Got paid, next ?