Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot rod 230 six cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gear jammin jake, Oct 23, 2014.

1. I know some people have done it but if anyone on here has I'd love to hear from you. My grandad has a 1962 chevy biscayne with a(I believe a 230 but someone said it was a 235?) six cylinder, it's up for sale to me an I was thinking of doing a engine swap but I thought a hot rodded six would be cool too, I know of the dual exhaust manifolds they sell, just wondering what kind of performance those add? And do they sound better too, I imagine they would. And also multi carb induction, does it help for a few ponies on something like this? Thinking about an offy or something similar, and does anyone know of a hevier flywheel(standard shift car, I have a older t10 that I may put in it) to get some extra torque, and also maybe rebuild it. Anyone ever done a stroker in an old six, I've got a few bucks saved up and thinking about a custom stroker crank unless a crank from another six would fit with a longer stroke. Sorry it's so long but any help is appreciated

2. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

you could make a 250 "stroker" using a 250 rotating assembly. Some guys have made 292 strokers, but I'm not sure what all that is involved in this. There are lump port kits for the heads that really help with flow. As far as pistons, 12bolt.com sells forged flat tops as well as a lot of other speed goodies. Here's a few dyno videos.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If the car in question is, indeed, a 1962 model AND it has the original engine, it is a 235.
    The 230 was introduced in 1963 model full size Chevy cars and pickups.

The new design Chevy six, in a 194 cubic inch version, was introduced in 1962 Chevy II/Nova.
    The Chevy II/Nova got the 230 also soon after. Trucks, 3/4 ton and above got the 292 in 1963 as well.
    In 1966 model year, full size cars and pickups got the 250 engine.

Your (presumably) 235 is a good engine and can be hopped up.....lots of available parts to do that.

Best wishes with your project.

Ray

4. As stated by Ray, the 1962 Biscayne has a 235 engine.
    Hopping it up ? Lots of stuff for the 235.
    Patricks and Tom Langdon has a BIG inventory of 235 hop up stuff.
    Patrick is a GREAT guy to chat with, IF you have a solid idea, as to what you want.
    Look at my 235 Avatar.
    She's hopped up and in my 1951 Chevy..

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014

5. Thanks guys, it's all factory so it is a 235, I assume the 230 parts will still work on it though. Kind of like the 396/402 thing, thanks for the link to 12bolt.com, wealth of info and parts. Any recommendations on carb and intakes, I like the look of the two or three one barrels under the hood, not so much on the four barrel.you guys are a Big help on this, thanks guys

6. What's it run like, I jut want something that's reliable, and will smoke the tires, it's got 4.11s and it's a one tire fryer too.i like the intake, why kind is that?

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

NO, 230 parts will not 'still work on it"..........unless you count a few nuts or bolts. The 194/230/250/292 is a complete redesign of the Chevrolet six.

The block, head, manifolds, all internal parts, bell housing bolt pattern...are ALL different from preceding engines.

That doesn't make the older engine a 'bad' thing...just different as regards many details and includes any hop up parts.

Ray

loudbang likes this.
  8. Oh okay, thanks, it is a 235, atleast I know for sure now, will a borg-warner t-10 bolt to it, and can I use the original bellhousing?

9. squirrel

squirrel

you should be able to bolt a T10 to it using the original bellhousing for the 3 speed.

although if it has an automatic transmission, you'll need to find all the goodies from a 3 speed 235 to swap it over.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The sixes look cool with twin carbs, dual exhaust, chrome valve cover and a few chrome dress up items. Add a cam and you can increase your HP about 25% to where it is about equal to the base 283 V8. Such an engine will take you anywhere you want to go at the legal speed limit and maybe a bit more, and draw as much interest at shows as a full blown big block.

However, there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to HP. If you want more power, the smart thing to do is install a 350 V8.

11. Okay, good old three on the tree, anybody know of a good column to switch to do the floor shift four speed, so I don't have two shifters. Or do you think I could find an original four speed, no shifter column

12. squirrel

squirrel

or you can remove the original shift lever. If you get fancy you can cut off the little nub that the lever pivots on, and fill in the hole, and paint the collar. But if you want a traditional floor shift swap, you just remove the lever and be done with it.

13. True, would be a hell of a lot easier too, do anybody you his have the factory specs, like bore, crank journal size, horsepower, torque and all that jazz

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Google is your friend. Also, I am a big advocate of buying a Shop Manual for any machine I am serious about working on......... FAXON books......they have everything in manuals....paper or DVD

Ray

15. Chester Merc

Chester Merc

Those six's can make good power if you build them right. If you can find a good head you'll be ahead of the game.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you join Inliners International, you can find anything you want for your stovebolt. Look them up online.

17. Bryan Bain

Bryan Bain

I jut want something that's reliable, and will smoke the tires[​IMG]

18. Don't know if you're asking ME how mine runs, but, if you are asking me, mine runs very well.
    Behind the 1961 235 is a 1959 Chevy 3 speed trans, with functioning overdrive.
    The rear is a Ford 9", with a 3:50 posi, if the idea of a V8 ever comes to mind. NEVER.
    My 235 has an .080 overbore, a Patricks 3/4 cam, an 848 cylinder head, a Petronix ignition, a jet coated Fenton intake and exhaust manifolds, with dual Rochester carbs.
    Over the stock factory engine, figures given to me from Patricks and Tom Langdon have indicated I have boosted the horse- power 10% to 15%.
    It runs good, it sounds good, but it won't lay a thousand feet of rubber ... if that's what you want.

19. This publication is from GM Heritage ..... the folks that provide ALL THE SPECS AND INFO THAT YOU COULD EVER WANT FOR YOUR 1962.
    Study it well, get all the info you can soak up.
    We may have a quiz, later.:(
    Click here and scroll down and scroll some more, etc.
    126 pages for you to absorb.
    https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...information-kits/Chevrolet/1962-Chevrolet.pdf