Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot August Nights pulling out of Long Beach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky Famoso, May 3, 2011.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

not just H.A.N. getting too greedy-the May 1 Spring Turlock (CA) Swap Meet charged $50 to sellers for a one day spot-this is for a low turn out swap, not the big crowds like in January.

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I get more bank for the buck at the smaller cheaper shows. Better friend time, less stress, just better all-around

3. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Ditto.....!

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well as I never had much desire to go to Reno in August it doesn't matter what it costs or that the longbeach deal is off. I originally thought the concept behind the Longbeach deal was That the party would start there and be a rolling party ending up in Reno the following weekend with one entry fee for the whole deal but I may have been way off on that.

I think Hot August Nights is one of those events that has outgrown it's self in not only it has gotten too big for those participating but attracts far too many non car people who go for less than stellar reasons.

Across the country there has been way too much emphasis on how big the participant draw and the spectator gate is for way too many events in the past few years. Not that it is wrong but quite often the push to draw more participants and spectators also dilutes the quality of the event it's self. Bigger isn't always better when it comes to car events.

As for myself I prefer to go to the grassroots style events as someone on the previous page mentioned. Quality over quantity in the whole event. Promoters or clubs who are more interested in the particular kind of cars and car people they get at their events than setting attendance records or amassing a huge gate revenue from the spectator gate.

5. For everyone that says they won't pay $150 for HAN, there is someone else who will. Every year the event is full at 5,500 registered cars. They estimate that another 500+ show up unregistered. With a week's worth of activities, the event is what you make it. You can participate in everything or nothing, it's up to you.

As for the shooting and riot stuff, that happened several years ago when Reno didn't know what real gang culture was. Several CA gangs rolled into town and with little law enforcement around things got ugly quick. It's very different now and they have not had the same problem.

6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Plenty of free stuff to do all week, no reason to spend $170.00 to H.A.N.
    If the event gets smaller, it will get better for the car enthusiasts.
    It's really time to put the problems that happened years ago to rest...

7. CalGasser

CalGasser

So if one's already registered for LB, will they get a refund? :confused:

8. cruzr

cruzr

sounds like you might have mailed them some money........

be interesting to see if ya get it back

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

fwiw,they will be honored in reno.just saying

10. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

one of the links posted said that the LB participants would get a full refund or get credit to go to the Reno show.

they tried getting $5,500 from us to have a vendors space for the the show in LB. that was crazy. they kept saying but there will be spectators upwards of 100K.... Not anymore.

11. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Tony Marini, Hot August Nights managing director, said the Long Beach registrants will be given a full refund, or credit, and be encouraged to come to Reno.

12. CalGasser

CalGasser

HAN, LB is officially dead as of Monday. I spoke with someone at the office and said fees will either be refunded or your choice to apply it to Reno. I'll believe when I receive check in hand. Hmm, "check's in the mail" - heard that one before! :mad:

13. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I sent them a check for $80 for a swap space. They haven't cashed it, but they also haven't contacted me to let me know the show is off. Thanks to the HAMB for letting me know!

14. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I knew it wouldn't last

15. Reminds me of the local equivalent "Hot August Nats" ... held in the middle of nowhere for one day and charging almost as much as the Syracuse Nationals for a swap spot for like a tenth of the turnout. I've never been.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

We've got a really great show here in August the same weekend, so no reason for me to spend time, money, or wear and tear on the long trip. I can sleep in my own bed and enjoy the show here.

17. You can read the Press Release for this on my site - go to my Events page and scroll down to August, there is a link to the info they released.

18. MadeInThe70s

MadeInThe70s
    from Reno, NV

Ol' Brucie should have been fired, not allowed to resign. Too dignified an ending for his part in this mess.

Feel pretty bad for the SoCal locals and the charities that are on the losing end of the whole thing.

19. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie