Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hopping up a 21 Stud Flathead V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod28AR, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Putting an engine together for The Race of Gentlemen next year and looking for some input. The engine is a '36 Ford 21 stud Flathead. I'm going to run a 2x2 intake, is either going to be an old Evans or new Eddie Meyer, with two Stromberg 97's. Mallory distributer and headers. Biggest questions are what would be the best choice for heads? I was told that 1932 heads would raise the compression? Should I get a set of 32's or mill the stock ones? Also cam choice, this will be a race only engine. What would be a good all out race cam? Should I run gas or alcohol? Any thoughts would be great. Not looking to really dig into the engine too deep. Thanks!
    -Dean

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The '32's are the lowest compression set that can be found!
    First...does engine have flattop or domed pistons? Either type will fit any 221.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I would need some research to figgerout some of this...I have a chart of early head CC's, need to know more about the chambers on each to sort by piston type. CC specs run from an astounding 99 in '32 down to 60 on some...you may need to explore milling and redoming as all comp ratios are pretty low with stockers.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If the '36 is the replaceable main type, use of a 4" crank is at least semi-reasonable, and the extra displacement would boost your compression possibilities. With the early type crank this is only barely possible, needing lots of machining and welding.

5. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

as for a cam, how about an isky 77b or a max1. both very mild and should work with stock heads. on the intake, why not an edelbrock slingshot? i think that would fit your block. it was a great manifold way back when and it still is.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On the early engines, it is worth considering manifolds like the slingshot mentioned or Thickstun and such because moving the generator is pretty difficult on '32-6 types.

7. ukgav

ukgav

Here are the compression ratio specs from the vanpelts website.
    [​IMG]

Cast iron heads from 37 appear to have the best ration although milling the stock heads would probably work well.
    Some one on the fordbarn has recenty offered regrinds of your core cam to Littero L100 specs which apparently is a very good all rounder.

Another option would be to convert it to a pump in head motor and use the repro Eddie Meyer heads and matching inlet. I have them on mine and they work really well. Mine is an early poured main and flat top piston engine so I will be using the Meyer equipment on a converted Ford Pilot engine (similar to 36-38 US 21 studs). You can buy the block off plates and engine mounts to do it.
    Here is my motor. Also runs a 77B cam and adjustable lifters. With domed pistons the Meyer heads would give around 8;1 but the flat tops bring this down to 7;1. Good for 17.4 second quarters and 87mph at Pendine with an early 3 speed and 4.11 gears.
    [​IMG]

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would consider sending your cam to someone who understands these engines and regrinds cams. Dema Elgin comes to mind.

9. As for an intake height is the only issue so the Thickstun is out. How about the Navarro 2x2 Racing intake?? Looking for top HP. Thanks,
    -Dean

10. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

Hexigon tool 2x2 , 110 race gas , 21 stud heads with no dome , flattop pistons , mill head .030-40 , 97's stock jets and power valves , mallory dizzy and use the stock cam . your only going 660 feet haha . worked for me and josh

41FordSuperDeluxe likes this.
  11. fryguy

fryguy

I have a couple pair of NORS 21 stud heads for the 37 and early 38 motors. These are not the pump in head but the center water outlet. I have a pair at the machine shop right now getting CC'd. I want to see if they are close to the ford spec of 7.5 to 1 compression figures. If they are, I want to see if I can get them cut a few cc's off to get the compression up to about 8 to 1. From what I hear, you want to get about a .040 to .045 valve clearance for great throttle response and engine crispness.
    Here is a pic of the heads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]