Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. I received part of the program I need to set my plasma up but now at the moment I haven't had much time to do anything on it. I will wait until I have everything I need (as well as some time to do it) in probably a couple of weeks time. I will definitely post a video of it running when I get that far. Thanks for your comments.

Mtw fdu.

2. txturbo

txturbo

I'm with ya.....free beaver is hard to pass up :D

3. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I've been hanging out at a site with a bunch of welders and blacksmiths and they gave me an idea for a new project. This is a little bench anvil made out of a chunk of railroad track. This one was gouged and bent because it came from a local derailment in the 70's. DSC02142 (1).JPG 016.JPG

firepilot, Fender1325, lawman and 2 others like this.
  4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My cnc Plasma Cutter...Plasma torch is held by arm that clamps to cnc milling machine spindle..First plan was to clamp work over hanging table which gives about a 12"x 12" cut area but on second thought if I drop table low enough I can do larger pieces directly over table, provided I can do a water pan for spark catching..Spindle up shuts torch off by a micro switch I tapped into torch on/off button. Haven't tried yet, once I get through fixing stuff I'll get a chance to try it..

Attached Files:

5. bct

bct

nice work on the anvil . I have one too... but what I use the most is a 8" chunk just cut square on both ends . I use it on end , upside down and the way it was meant to lay . so many angles and curves to use.

whtbaron likes this.
  6. Here is my cnc plasma cutter almost finished. The first video is a practice simulated cut with everything going up and down when it is supposed to and the second video is a marker pen test. Soon I will post an actual cutting video.

Mtw fdu.

firepilot and Ulu like this.
  7. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

That's gonna be sweet!
    To CNC my own parts would be amazing. All I ever did was write the programs & plot templates.
    But the truth is I need an anvil so bad I'm almost more jealous of whtbaron. ;)

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Neat! I got to get my butt in motion...New enthusiasum!!!!!! Forward!!!!o_O after I fix the truck:(

9. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

LOL... trade you even... another anvil for a plasma cutter any day! One of the things I've learned by hanging out with the blacksmiths is that you really aren't supposed to be beating on a proper anvil with cold metal. A lot of my ag repair and (hopefully more) rod building involves beating the snot out of cold steel. This is the first in what I hope will be several different shaped and styled RR anvils to save my grandfather's anvil from getting abused any more than it already has.

10. Thanks for all your comments guys!!!

Mtw fdu.

11. Really interesting thread here. I'm watching. Not all is lost in the world while people manage to produce like this.
    Keep posts coming.

studeboy likes this.
  12. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417617981.845252.jpg
    Starting on my Chicago planishing hammer clone

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Homemade roller, after a little tuning up, it actually ended up working pretty good.
    roller.JPG

firepilot likes this.
  14. gatz

gatz

uh....what is the function of the circular saw ?

15. Toe nail clippin... just kiddin.
    I guess the roller is just clamped to a bench at which the saw rests.

16. Same as the broom.
    They rest there until needed.
    What I find interesting is the lift platform and car being used to push down. Neat

firepilot and redzula like this.
  17. gatz

gatz

I need to be more observant.....

18. txturbo

txturbo

Wow....that is one heck of a multi use tool

19. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Yep, I can't complain about this one....sweeps, rolls, cuts and holds the car up in the air! On a more serious note I like the use of the castors.... maybe changes what I need to make a really crude English wheel.

20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

21. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

the table looks to be bolted to the floor so idk how its holding up the car

22. Huh; guess I need to watch the background better when taking pictures.
    The casters worked pretty good, once I moved them further apart from where I first mounted, them. Then we had to knurl the top drive wheel so it would grip instead of slipping. Not sure how tight it will roll the tube before it would buckle, practice piece that is in picture was tighter than what we needed, so I quit there. Just rolled the arches into some new top "wood" for an A sedan.

23. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg At the request of my son ,on Christmas break.
    We built a mini foundry.

24. Now that's cool.

25. I have been keeping you guys up-to-date with my plasma table build. I have now finished it and here is a short video of it running. The material is only 6mm (1/4 inch plate).

Mtw fdu.

whtbaron, lawman, firepilot and 3 others like this.
  26. Impressive, good work.

27. gatz

gatz

Neat plasma machine!
    How or what was used to accomplish the Z touch-off ?

28. Mart

Mart

That's pretty neat!

29. Thanks guys for your comments.

The Z touch-off was set using the switch height. There are a lot of settings on the whole machine which I had to play around with to get it to go. I am now glad that after 9 1/2 months of hard work it has been worth it.

Mtw fdu.

30. gatz

gatz

nice work there, Rip.... and economical to boot.
    Adding the chip brushes is a good idea; I need to do that on my 14" Walker-Turner as the urethane tires get loaded up with scarf, then the blade slips and comes off and then I cuss and throw things around....not a healthy atmosphere.