Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes! AWESOME! THANKS! Great work!

2. Dyce

Dyce

I made the upper using a milling machine. You could leave the top flat, and make upper dies that you can remove. That way you can make a point, and a few radiused uppers. It works good the way it is though for sharp bends. It'sbar stock I salvaged from an old belt conveyer.

3. Patdoody

Patdoody

Good stuff.. I actually just got done making a replica. I don't have a mill so I used a piece of 1/4 angle for the top die...

[​IMG]

4. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Its not all homemade but the pedals are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

is that motor from a hospital bed?

6. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I think it came of a "lift chair" but i'm sure a hospital bed probably has a similar motor.

7. Dyce

Dyce

They really come in handy making brackets!!

8. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

YEAH ! I just pulled one off a hospital bed for this same set up! How's it working for ya?

9. Kustom Leatherworks

Kustom Leatherworks
    from Milwaukee

Some helpful tools here

10. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Well you can see I did reduce it down about 3:1. but at that speed it works great. Not too fast, but slow enough to make smooth turns. Some times I have to tap the pedal to turn a tight turn but other than that its wonderful. You can make a full depth pass on 18 ga. steel no problem. Motor has plenty of power. Speed control would be nice but having a power bead roller for next to nothing is nicer.

11. Patdoody

Patdoody

Yeah I bent up a piece of 1/8" steel diamond plate with it very easily. I have a 4' box and pan brake but hate putting heavier stuff in it, since its only designed for 22g

I took photos of making it I might throw together a "how to" build for it.

12. iagsxr

iagsxr

Bench at my house. Had to reload my computer lost all the actual fab pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still working out the backsplash.

13. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

You must have some DEEP pockets to be using heim joints on a work bench. Looks cool though.

14. MP&C

MP&C

15. vendetta

vendetta

my latest-a 600 wide press brake.i can use the arm for bending light gauge and narrower parts.as i don't have a press,i might just put a bottle jack on top instead of buying a press for heavier/wider parts.
    second picture is of some dies for putting swage around 1 1/2 and 2" holes in sheet metal.

Attached Files:

16. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

That tool was built by Joe Hartson and can be seen on allmetalshapers.com.I got a chance to use it at Kerry Pinkertons fall gathering in Huntsville Al.Joe is quite the machinist and craftsman .Dan

17. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just gave away a Ryobi electric log splitter, and the thought came up it would be a neat "power cavity" to use for a small press or even a tube bender...just an idea.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I got hold of a Dayton gear motor, the same one Murfman used to power his bead roller. He posted pictures of it on one of the bead roller threads.

It has a pair of wires which need to be swapped to change the direction of the motor.

I'd like to be able to wire it with a switch to change motor direction and a single foot pedal to control it all.

Anyone have any ideas or know how to do this ? It has me stumped right now.

By the way I have been in touch with Murfman and he did reply back initially, we corresponded back and forth by e-mail.

I asked him for details on how he wired his, as he has done what I want to do.

No response lately to my messages and he seems unable (or unwilling) to help me out.

Any help will be appreciated. Below are 2 pictures of Murfmans BR.

Larry.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A bump for my question above.

20. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

did you get a reversible motor?

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, the motor is reversible by switching a wire to the power supply it runs the other way.

What I want to know is how to hook it up so both wires are hooked up and when switched it will run one way and then move the switch and have it run the other way.

22. bct

bct

better hire an electrician if you can't figure that out

23. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Do a search on "wiring a reversing switch". Several ways to accomplish your task.

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Ok thanks for the help :rolleyes: Now run along skippy your mother is calling. ;)

Thanks I'll do that. Just thought maybe someone here had done it or knew how to do it.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  25. BISHOP

BISHOP

Its all in the switch. You just need a switch that caries a ground, and two positives oposite of each other, its very simple. Its called a 3 way switch. Top is forward, center is off, bottom is reverse.

26. Why not two pedals side by side, a switch in one wired for forward, the other with a swich wired for reverse. Very user friendly:):):)

27. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Holy Crap Andy! Super nice work. That truck should be a show piece if it's anything like your build work. country Gent

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have seen that done, and didn't want to go that route because it is too easy to switch motor rotation when the motor is under load by accidentally (or on pupose) stepping on the other foot switch.

The instructions for my motor state that the motor must be stopped and not under load before reversing direction.

I have found what I need is called a reversing drum switch. They have a neutral and you can stop the motor, switch direction with the drum switch and carry on with the single foot switch.

The wiring is relatively simple with it too.
    So, a drum switch and a foot switch along with a little fab work and I'll have a powered bead roller.

I bought a basic Magnum bead roller with an 18" throat. The fab work will involve beefing it up and mounting the motor.

29. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

A rigid pipe threader is wired in this matter. You need a heavy duty two way switch and a foot pedal. You should be able to buy a replacement kit from a Rigid distributor in your area.

[​IMG]