Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

just make them bigger

use round stock

2. tjsr19

tjsr19
    from Lincoln NE

I can get bigger ones I dont know how to mount then and let it bend a sharp bend. I did think of using round stock but these hinges are easy. would you just mount them to the top and shorten the top plate to fit between them?
    Thank you for the help.

3. Do a write up on this build!

4. tjsr19

tjsr19
    from Lincoln NE

I will I am building it very low tech but I am trying to use easy and cheap materials and I am not doing the angle iron version I got two scrap pieces of plate for 5 dollars 1 10"wide by 50" 1/2 and one 10"wide by 52" by 3/4". I plan on using the 3/4 for the top plate and bolting that one down to the 1/2. I will use a bolt in each corner. Then I will use a bolt in the middle of those that will be threaded in to the top piece only, so I can tighten it to raise the plate up. I don't know if I will need to reinforce the top plate. I will if I need to. I will brace the bottom plate by making a frame that goes around it and make table legs that go down from there . I will bevel the top plate to allow me to go past 90. I just Traded for a plasma cutter but it is not here yet and I don't know if It will be powerful enough to cut a bevel on 3/4 I can rent one that will from my weld shop however.
    I am open to thoughts and ideas. I do know this thing will way a ton and I like that as it will be stored outside and I don't want it walking off.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  5. vendetta

vendetta

my latest toy-brought the 1hp motor,rubber end wheel,belt,a few bearings,a spring and various bits of steel/aluminium to make the rest.wanted a small workshop size linisher.

Attached Files:

• lin.JPG
      lin.JPG
      File size:
      32.6 KB
      Views:
    • lin 2.JPG
      lin 2.JPG
      File size:
      16.3 KB
      Views:
  6. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

NICE!!!........................Your design, or from some other plans???.........I really like it!
    Could you do a "build" on it, and show how you did it?..............Please:D:D

7. lawman

lawman

They are all very nice. Tom (Tired Old Man)

8. Made these hinges for my break. Used 4-bar bushings and 5/8 rod.

Attached Files:

9. vendetta

vendetta

NICE!!!........................Your design, or from some other plans???.........I really like it!
    Could you do a "build" on it, and show how you did it?..............Please

thanks-sorry i didn't take photos as i was building it,i copied the idea for the main beam that has the rubber wheel on the end and the tracking adjuster on the other end.the beam mount,sanding support under belt,belt tensioner,motor mount,stand all just kind of evolved.i brought a belt and made it all to fit that.the drive wheel diameter was determined by what aluminium i could get cheap.i've added a few detail photos.

Attached Files:

10. tjsr19

tjsr19
    from Lincoln NE

Thank you I might build some like these.

11. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Thanks very much, Vendetta!!!!............................The gears are turning!

12. Patdoody

Patdoody

[​IMG]

I didn't make the drill press, but I did modify it. I was super tired of my cheap horriblefreight bench top drill press that couldn't drill through anything. I found this old prentice bros drill press for cheap on craigs list. Its one of those old machines that ran off the central belt drive in a factory.. I added a 1hp "farm" motor to it with an adjustable shiv and this thing rips. It uses a morse taper chuck as well, so alot of differnt tooling can be used with it.

Also made this for papa dukes last month.. I know its wood[boring] but it is made from 100% recycled 2x4's from crates at work... not all the way done in the photo but it came out great.
    [​IMG]

I have some more home made junk I will have to snap photos of tomorrow.

13. Very cool drill press...love it

14. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Excellent job. How wide is the top and how did you surface it? Looks like all long pieces? There must have been a fair amount of surface irregularity. Big planer? Very professional job.

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vendetta! That is SWEET!! Any chance you have those pictures in a larger format or could you post them using a photo host like Photobucket? If you need help, I'll load them for me. Just email them to me... [email protected]. Looks awesome!

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That bench RULES!!

17. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Wow some amazing stuff! And a few ideas too.:D

Here's my little contribution. I did the vise grips a while back, Working in a gas station and having to change fuel pumps or tanks from under a lift it came in handy clamping the fuel line so I didn't get a gas shower. The grinder stand was made from scrap I had around the shop, I'm going to put a rim under it soon. The welding cart was made up from a merchandise cart that the local dollar general was throwing out, So much easier to move around now the arc welder weighed a ton and I had to use a hand truck to move it.

18. Patdoody

Patdoody

Thanks.. Most of the pieces were between 5-8' long benchtop is 11'x30" I started by ripping 2x4's in half then squared the ends. Also since alot had nails and knots I had to trim that out as well.. Then I laminated them together into 12" x12.5ish sections. I bought a 12" grizzly surface planer of craigs list for super cheap planed it till everything was perfect. then used one of those knock off kreg jigs to screw the 12", 12", and 6" sections together. Then cut off the irregular ends. Went over the entire thing with a belt sander, and finished with some clear lacquer... Over all it came out really nice, and including the cost of the planer I maybe only have 100.00 into it. I figure a butcherblock type top like this would be a few hundred to buy.

19. Patdoody

Patdoody

Do you have any info on this? I would love to build on of these for my press. Would be great to take over for the box and pan when I need to bend heavier stuff. Mostly how to did you knife edge the top ram?

20. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Very creative. I have those tools, lots of pallet wood and will duplicate your project. I would never have thought of a Kreg jig to get the pieces together. Congrats.

21. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I bought a piece of aluminium recently and made myself a bigblock Mopar cambearing-tool yesterday. Was fun being able to use the lathe again.
    A Mopar cam has a number of different bearingsizes so there's no 'one-size-fits-all' here. Still need to drill and tap the holes through the discs so I can mount a long tube on them, but the sizes all match up the bearings perfectly.
    The last and smallest bearingtool of the bunch is not pictured here.

I also added identifier rings on both the tool-ends which describe the bearingnumber that side of the tool is ment for.

Attached Files:

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow that home build metal finisher is to coool and the old art deco drill press is cool also

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The High school auto shop that I was a student in and later the instructor had a cam bearing driver set that a former student had machined out before I was a student there. He had made different size drivers for various applications and it worked a whole lot better than the adjustable ones. It was gone when I started teaching but that was still the best cam bearing driver I ever used.

24. Patdoody

Patdoody

Here are a few more things I snapped photos of while at my shop today:
    [​IMG]
    Welding cart made from a donated shopping cart
    [​IMG]
    Tool box I made when I was in apprentice school
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I didn't make this one but it is home made and probably the most serious chop saw you will ever see. It has a 220v motor. This thing will cut through anything. It has one of those motors with output shafts on either end, I want to add a 12" disc sander to the other side one of these days.

25. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Patdoody, that chop saw kicks ASS!!!!

26. Steel 35

Steel 35

I thought I had all the tools I needed till this thread! I already have a counter space problem and its going to get worse when I pirate a few of these creations. Here are a couple of my rolling table tops, one is a over the fender and around the tire model now I just need a regular car to use it ........ FNG

Attached Files:

27. vendetta

vendetta

Hopefully these pictures are better.
    a few details- i work in metric,all sizes are in millimeters.
    stand-900mm high.
    300x300x10mm base.
    2.5 mm folded upright tapers from 240-165mm.
    180x250x10mm top motor mount plate.
    drive wheel-195mm dia x 55mm wide.
    it has a crown machined on it to help belt run true.
    grub screwded to motor shaft.
    electric motor-1hp single phase.
    tension wheel-55mm wide x 55mm dia,also has crown.
    rubber wheel-75mm dia x 50mm wide,flat
    centre-centre of drive/rubber wheel 542mm.tension wheel,200mm from centre of drive wheel.97mm below drive/rubber wheel centre line.
    belts-1500mm long x 50mm wide.
    main arm is a piece of thick wall tube.
    i hope i have bored ya with details.

Attached Files:

28. vendetta

vendetta

last few pics.

Attached Files:

29. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Finished up the cambearing tool today I was working on earlier. I used the long handle of a large tap-and-die tool normally used for threading gaspipes.
    I welded an old oilpressure spring plug from a bigblock Mopar oilpump onto a threaded fitting and tapped the bearingtool parts with the same thread, so I can switch the tools quickly.
    Also incorporated an O-ring which holds the bearing securely while entering the block. I noticed this on someone elses post and thought it was a good idea.

Total costs: About $15,- just for the piece of aluminium roundstock.

Will try out the tool tomorrow and see how well it works, or not...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. brucer

brucer
    from western ky