Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

J.D.:eek:
    I guess it will suffice for flushing the pipes of mfg. contaminants!

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

What's the Coke for?

3. wrljet

wrljet

Balance
    The coke bottle keeps the whole thing from tipping over.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the true definition of "counter"balance

Attached Files:

biggeorge, jeffd1988 and loudbang like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

6. Ryan locked down the anvil thread and redirected people to garagejournal.com, which I know is another of Ryan's sites and I've been a member over there for a long time. garagejournal is great for all sorts of stuff like discussing building plans and LED lighting and choosing the right in-floor heating, but most of those guys are not HAMBers, and they are not DIY builders. I want to be able to discuss tools with guys who get dirty and build cars. Since when don't we discuss TOOLS on the HAMB?

This is a railroad track anvil that was made by a good friend of mine. He made it when he was going to school in the '50s and when he was moving into a home recently I rescued it from the scrap pile. It had been covered in rust and looked pretty bad, but I cleaned it up and now I use it pretty regularly. My friend John had been an industrial metal fabricator (along with a photographer, jeweller, deep sea diver, biker, inventor and all-around tinkerer... a lot of people thought he was a very strange guy, I thought he was very strange and very cool... our kind of guy).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John died last Thursday morning, so I think I'll go bang on his home made, DIY railroad track, not-HAMB-approved anvil in his honour.

Stogy, tubman, little red 50 and 15 others like this.
  7. bct

bct

20170228_184228.jpg
    Updated pic of my bead roller

8. Cool anvil and I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.

Steve

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  9. Mart

Mart

Ditto. Having a tool that belonged to a passed friend is very special. You'll think of him every time you use it, and you'll cherish it more.

Mart.

10. BradinNC

BradinNC

[QUOTE My friend John had been an industrial metal fabricator (along with a photographer, jeweller, deep sea diver, biker, inventor and all-around tinkerer... a lot of people thought he was a very strange guy, I thought he was very strange and very cool... our kind of guy).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John died last Thursday morning, so I think I'll go bang on his home made, DIY railroad track, not-HAMB-approved anvil in his honour.[/QUOTE]

I think you friend was a hell of a guy, and you were lucky to know him.

Cosmo49 and loudbang like this.
  11. Thanks guys. He was hard to get along with and pissed off a lot of people, including his kids, but he was a really interesting guy. I got a lot of huge old hammers and other strange tools from him, and before he passed I let him know that a lot of his tools were cleaned up and back in action. He was happy to hear that.

bct, loudbang, BradinNC and 1 other person like this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sorry for your lose and thank you for the story that will live on as will his anvil.

loudbang likes this.
  13. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

Bump

Sent from my cell phone when I shoulda been working, using the H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  14. Anvils and tough men can be beat on but never broken.

loudbang likes this.
  15. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

That was in my fortune cookie the other night! Lol

loudbang likes this.
  16. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

This a rotary gizmo I built for my hand held spot welder that is also counterweighted DSCN0939_445.JPG

Stogy, wrljet, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  17. carla borgert

carla borgert

argentina metal shaping

Attached Files:

Ulu, biggeorge and enloe like this.
  18. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

19. Here is a seal puller for that pesky rack lip seal in the right-hand side of a Mustang II power steering gear. Several years ago I was putting stock MII X-members in several cars with the power rack and that seal is impossible to reach without something like this tool. I am sure some took company makes one for $$$$$$$$$$$$ but I have more time than money so built this one. Works great. Gear seal location.jpg tool 1.jpg P4210015.JPG View attachment 3507193 Tool hinges.jpg tool wedge.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  20. topher5150

topher5150

I wish I had some pics, but when I was on the robot team in high school one of the mentors had a small portable lathe that he cobbled together, he made a bunch of accessories for this lathe. He also had a Bridgeport mill, and a lathe in his basement.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Well I'm certainly not the first one to do this but here's a little press frame that I built out of odds and ends I had laying around and I'm using it here to swage a piece of tubing out so I can use it as a doubler over another tube.
    20170429_113901.jpg
    You can barely see the swage sticking out of the top of the tube, but it was made from an old 3/8 Drive Socket extension.

Everything else is nuts and bolts and steel plates that I made for something else years ago.

The bottom two nuts are clamped in my vice to keep the thing upright. I covered my workbench up with rags and stuff because there was so much clutter you couldn't tell what was going on in my first photo.

22. Was putting the grille lacing on my '35, so I dug out an old tool I had made ages ago for setting the split rivets. Thought it might be interesting on this thread. Even works with the crappy steel rivets that Vintique provides.
    rivet tool 1.jpg rivet tool 2.jpg

Coggs_n'_gears, Stogy, Ulu and 7 others like this.
  23. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

A cluttered bench is a busy bench!

Stogy, loudbang and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You know he was just hiding the super secret stuff. ;)

Stogy, loudbang and Jiminy like this.
  25. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Because bored. Who DOESN'T need a "tight access" 13/16 for dirtbike spark plugs? Lightening holes to make it faster.

Attached Files:

Stogy, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

They don't make rags large enough to cover my clutter.

Stogy, '51 Norm, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  27. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Yeah, I think I must have been skipping school the day the lesson was "A place for everything, and everything in it's place".

Stogy, scrubby2009 and loudbang like this.
  28. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Not mine but this is great

29. rgdavid

rgdavid

Thats excelent,well done.
    Another thing on the list to make.

30. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

by the way for anyone who tries my little trick to swage a tube of any length, will need to reverse the process once the swage is installed in the tube a certain distance. I made a cross hole in the workpiece and pinned it under the lower bed of the press. Then you must draw the swage through the tube, by running the press in the opposite direction. Of course she swage must have a hole through it to run a draw rod, and the workpiece part that has the Cross Hole is cut away as scrap.

I found that once I had a tube of more than four inches it was impossible to swage it by pressing without distorting the tube considerably, but by drawing the swage through the tube with a bolt or rod, even a long work piece is kept perfectly straight.

This is the same sort of process they use for "button rifling" a gun barrel, where a carbide swage with the rifling shaped into it his drawn through the barrel to create the final shape.

Unfortunately I did not take photos of me performing this process, but with a 3/8" draw rod I was able to swage a piece 12 inches long and keep it perfectly straight.

loudbang likes this.