Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs History of the Custom display ~ GNRS ~ OFFICIAL thread info & photo's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Oct 1, 2010.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks for clarifying Rik,

We have a handful of more surprise announcements to make. Rik will do that when he has time to spare.

Once again, a HUGE thanks to Rik Hoving & Jeff Neppl. I could not of done this without you guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to the garage, Axle

2. More announcements, Axle? I think I need to sit down...

3. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Not to go off topic but whatever happend to Joe Moreno's Buick? Magenta pinkish color that was also painted with Murano pearls. And my hats off to all those involved with this.

4. Rikster

Rikster

Sad story here

5. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

Wow, thanks Rikster

6. Rikster

Rikster

The next announcement is Dick "Peep" Jackson 1957 Ford Thunderbird II.
    And the best thing is that this wonderful late 50's style Custom T-Bird is being brought to the show by the man – Dick Jackson – himself.

Paul Kelly Photo
    [​IMG]

Dick rebuilt his dream car from the late 1950's in 1998-99, but has since then sold it to John Gagnon. For this show John was not able to bring it, and since Dick was already a guest of honor at the Customs Then & Now exhibit it was only natural for him to bring his old custom himself.

Dick originally built his 1957 T-Bird in 1958. The car was first golden rod yellow (as it came from the factory) and later in 1959 he painted the car the famous Sam Bronze with gold scallops outlines in white by Dean Jeffries.

Photo from the Mary Ellen GT350 photo Collection
    [​IMG]

Barris photo
    [​IMG]

And later he painted it Sam Bronze with Gold Scallops

The car was considered a mild custom car, but still had several very nice trick. Like the 1955 Chevy headlights with scooped tops. A grille made from a turned upside down 1957 Chevy Pick Up truck with hand-formed vertical grille bars copper plated. two Buick portholes get some extra air into the engine compartment and the hood scoop was modified in a same way as the scoops over the headlights. The rear wheel openings where modified to look like the front units.

[​IMG]

The taillights where radical pieces and created using flat red plex on which two 1958 Chevy Lenses and bezels are mounted and Buick bullets fill the left over holes to create a very space age taillight. The taillight style where soon named Satel-Lite, and Dick gets the credit for them. Several how two articles where done on creating similar taillights in the little magazines in the late 1950's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The exhaust was routed under the bumper and the holed for it in the bumper where now used as back up lights with frosted plex, with a Pontiac start in it.

In 1998 Dick found another 1957 T-Bird – not as nice as the first one he started with in 1958 – but the end result is nearly the same.
    This custom is nearly identical to the first time Dick built it, only now he had help from Dave Whittle, Dennis Rickleffs, Glen Cannon, Mike and Edie Salais, and Guy Hannon. But all the body and paint work was done by Dick... just as in 1958.
    The only real differences are the slightly longer scallops and the Bellflower pipes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But other than that including the "Little Bastard" script on the trunk its excactly the same car... and built by the same person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. I am sure there are others with alot of knowledge and deserving, and I hope I'm not stepping over my bounds, but I would like to nominate Rikster as the Official HAMB Customs Historian. Your extensive info on all these cars is so impressive. Look forward to meeting Rik, and Axle, and Jeff, and everyone involved with this event and with a passion for these amazing cars.

8. U.K.ROADSTER

U.K.ROADSTER
    from Birmingham

Makes me wonder what else you gents have up your sleeves.

9. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Is that me , or from that angle the supposed 56 olds headlight are looking like peaked headlights with regular 52-54 ford rings ? :confused:

[​IMG]

10. Rikster

Rikster

Sure looks like it... sharp eye Zed

11. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

thanks a lot my friend ! :D

12. Janne

Janne

Looks like they are not ´56 Olds:

Attached Files:

13. Screenz

Screenz
    from Texas city

Its it time to get on the plane yet!!

14. dw123

dw123

2 weeks to go!

15. OK guys, Luke and I have come up with this special 6 1/4" x 9 1/2" plaque to offer those that attend the GNRS a fitting souvenir of their visit to what is sure to go down as the greatest gathering of significant customs cars ever gathered in one place. They're painted Kustom Kopper and belt sanded.

We would especially like to thank Allan Bergman of Sweden for allowing us to use what we thought was a right on image for this plaque. And I need to thank Luke for his work on the plaque artwork.

I'd also like to thanks John, Axle, Rik, Jeff and Luke for all the time and effort they have put in getting this effort off the ground and ready for our viewing pleasure.

These plaques will be available in the Customs Then and Now building (#9) at either the O'Brien Truckers or Kustoms Illustrated booths. If you want to reserve a plaque for pickup at the show send me an e-mail at [email protected] .

See you in Pomona!!

Dennis

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  16. I sent an email because I definately want one of those. How great are those going to be.

17. Those are killer!! Great job guys. And thanks for listening to our suggestions....I'll be sending an email to reserve a few tonight.

Bryan

18. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Excellent job Dennis & Luke ! Hold one for me. Thanks very much

19. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

Please hold one for me. They look awesome.

Joe Germann

20. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I'm in for one too !

21. dewayne1956

dewayne1956

I'm in for one to.They look great.

22. I just sent an email to reserve one of the plaques. Those are awesome!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  23. Good God....I hope time stands still during the GNRS weekend. I am going to soak up every minute of the event and takes tons of photos! Alex, you and those that help set this up have waaaaay outdone yourselves with this event.

24. 40Vert

40Vert

Awesome plaque, e-mail sent, two more weeks and counting! Thanks goodness cause it's pretty cold here in Indiana.

25. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

Please hold me one for the boys, I sent email and pm. Thanks
    Thanks,

26. What a killer plaque !!! That thing is so sweet,I will be buying one of these forsure.Thanks for all your effort Dennis & Luke for doing the plaque.I think that has to be one of the best souvenirs I have seen from a carshow.

27. Trencher

Trencher

Haven't been watching this thread a whole lot since I won't be going this year, but glad to hear Kurt will be bringing out the Caddy....I helped put this car back together at Tim's shop...this is one WICKED custom!! the body is SSSOOOOO straight and nice..

28. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Dennis, how many plaques are you making & how are you getting them there?

29. They're going out on the Brown truck.