Register now to get rid of these ads!

History History (and Build) of Just Steve's 1932 Ford Three Window

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roadsir, Nov 26, 2013.

1. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

2. Cool. The support bracket looks like a recycled speedway steering arm.

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

It does now that you mention it.

4. olskool34

olskool34

I don't know how I missed this thread but I remember reading about it. The story about the kid and uncle caught my eye. I remember that it said sometimes it pays off to wear hot rod clothing wherever you go. So glad to have found this thread. You are doing the car proud.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

It does pay to wear hot rod clothing, A friend got a nice 34 Ford cuz wearing a hot rod shirt.

Ago

6. scoggman

scoggman

Awesome!!! Keep the legacy alive!

7. gonzo

gonzo

Amazing story thanks for sharing!

8. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks guys...
    Just one update tonight. Got started on the tri-y's and decided to tackle the tough side first. These are 1.5" merging into 1.75", then the 1.75's will merge into 2.25". I think they'll look traditional enough, even decided to gas weld them.

Eric
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. That header looks so right!

10. looking good Eric , will you be driving it to our car show in September?

11. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks,
    I'd like to. It might be a stretch, I may need one more winter. I was thinking GSTA next year.

Eric

12. Nobey

Nobey

Incredible car, and a equally incredible family. Thanks for sharing your story. Really looking forward to this build. Rich...

13. A W E S O M E thread - Steve would be proud.

Keep em coming....

14. Roadsir

Roadsir

Not much new today. Dropped the engine off at the machine shop yesterday, found a much needed driveshaft yoke to mate to modified tranny, Researching nailhead speed equipment sources, engine colors, transmission gasket source, and steering gear rebuild.

15. Roadsir

Roadsir

This isn't taking too long....:rolleyes: I did get a passenger side header made up. I nedd to remove the tacks off the outside and clean it up a bit. You can see where it will come down inside the split bone. I need to trim the ends and weld on the last collector.

[​IMG]

Heres a similar view of the driver side with the steering box and starter removed.

[​IMG]

And a picture underside. The headers and eventually the pipes will be headed towards the bolt in crossmember with the lightening holes. I will probably trim those for pipe clearance.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Roadsir

Roadsir

Getting close to breaking the car down to paint the chassis and suspension. I'm waiting for the steering column to finish the lower mount on the firewall. The motor is at the machine shop, I have a gasket set coming for the Buick tranny, steering gear, ford rear, and a Mac's order for stuff needed to start some reassembly.

Were having a garage tour in New Ulm May 10th if anyone would like to stop by. PM me and I can provide details as they become available.

I had to cut out a lot of previous holes that were brazed in place with new steel patches.
    [​IMG]

I spent a fair amount of time yesterday with disassembly and degreasing. I am really happy with my $5 swap meet Branson ultrasonic parts cleaner. I used the purple biodegradable cleaner and the combination of heat and vibration loosens and removes paint, dirt, and grease really good. As long as I had it cooking I kept finding more stuff to clean...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

All I can say is,WOW!!! Keep up the great werk!

18. Roadsir

Roadsir

The Limeworks column and cast aluminum drop showed up yesterday. This is one of very few concessions for new parts. Partly because the original column was plated, Limeworks polished stainless looks spot on with the shape of the bell, and 1.5" diameter.

19. MP&C

MP&C

Cool build and awesome story to go with it! Subscribed!

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

pics of the new parts, ya slacker...:D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. gonzo

gonzo

Are you using a u joint in your steering shaft? I'm planning to run a cross steer box in my 32 and I'm curious if I can get away with no u joint.

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

could you show a pic of the bottle of purple biodegradable cleaner you are using for the ultrasonic bath? purdy please.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Progress looks good!

24. This is an incredible story. Crazy how stuff like this works out... I'm sure your brother would be proud!

25. Roadsir

Roadsir

Gonzo, correct. The 40 column runs back a few inches below the original column location to clear the exhaust. I shortened the shaft, so that it ends at the firewall toeboard area. The u-joint will under the toeboard where it meets the column and will be pretty well hidden. If you go back a few pages you can see some details, and I will post some follup pics

Thanks Tmand and PurdueSD!

26. Roadsir

Roadsir

This is the stuff...You can get it at Oreillys, Walmart etc. I think the heat really helps...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  27. Roadsir

Roadsir

Instead of the GSTA show I thought I better keep pressing on the 32. Next year it should be ready.

I made a lower colum mount yesterday using a shaft collar from McMaster. Ive used these for upper and lower mounts on two other project.
    [​IMG]

This one I decided to "lighten" a little with a die grinder and belt sander to make it look look a little less industrial.
    [​IMG]

Attached the mounting plate and ground the welds with die grinder and flap disc.
    [​IMG]

Here is the column in place with the mount. You can see here how the u-joint will be somewhat concealed.

[​IMG]

Here is the upper mount from Limeworks. It's really nice.
    [​IMG]

Overall mock-up of the column.
    [​IMG]

Started the breakdown for painting and details:
    [​IMG]

I need to weld some bungs in the frame for the shockmounts, and fab the rear shock mounts, but the body is ready to come back off.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi,
    What tire sizes do you run?
    Michael

29. Roadsir

Roadsir

those are 5:50 and 7:50-16's

30. I REALLY like how you mated the vintage and modern with that steering setup! Might be a good excuse to visit family up there for next years GSTA show!