Register now to get rid of these ads!

History History Of Early Street Racing In L.A. With The Legendary Dick "Magoo" Megugorac !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

HE WAS ONE OF THE TRUE PIONEERS of the Rod & Custom Industry. His shop was one of the most respected in the business and turned out some of the best “drivers” ever produced, and he’s proud to say that most of the those that he built are still on the road today !

On top of that, DICK “MAGOO” MEGUGORAC , was one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet…he was also one of the B-E-S-T story teller’s about those early days at the birth of Hot Rodding.

SO, listen as Dick talks about his own “early years”, as well as the Street Racing culture that was so much a part of the SoCal Scene at the time !

To hear this great Interview click-on this Link and you're on your way: http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage130.html

Thanks again to all my Friends here at the H.A.M.B. !

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

PS: Below is a pic of Dick's '29 HiBoy...it's gotta be RED !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Pretty cool... I think I saw a thread about him about 5 years ago on the HAMB but it's nice to see this link posted!

Thanks!

3. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

You're quite welcome ! Dick & his wife, Lois, are old friends and he is just one of the NICEST guys around ! AND a Super Pro !

I'll have somemore stories by him in the next few months concerning his build of "The Deucari" and his FIRST Custom: A Chopped Merc !

JK

4. Hey Jonnie... all I get is an audio link... is there a video?

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Magoo is one heck of a nice guy, I get the privilege of saying hello and making some small talk with one of my heros in this gig once a month at So-Cal Phoenix's Sat. morning swap. He's always there.

6. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

7. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Superb craftsman, and a really good guy. As mentioned in the initial post, the cars that came out of his shop were very capable of going anywhere, anytime. Mine is still on the street after more than 28 years and lots of great miles that have included heat, cold, and all manner of precipitation. It is actually a dream come true.

8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

AnimalAin...

Dick is one the TRUE Pioneers who always believed that the machines he built should be quality, well-engineered, street driven, road worthy, race worthy rides...that would hold up to the test of time.

Your great Magoo-built Rod is proof of all of the above descriptions !

Ride on, stay safe,

JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

BY NOW MOST OF YOU know that Dick passed-away January 12, 2016. I've been Featuring one of the really fun, really great Interviews that he & I did every week...there'll be Four in all. This is #3, and if you missed it when it first ran a few year's back, I wanted to share it with you this week:

Dick was one of the BEST story teller's you'd ever find, and his memories of those early SoCal days are priceless ! As you listen, remember: In that time period most street rods were HOMEBUILT ! There were no 800-Build-Me-A-Street-Rod phone numbers. And, they were the only cars that the builders had...they were daily drivers !

Street racing is not now, nor has it ever been, the "approved" way to test the power of your ride. But, let's face it...it happens now, AND it sure happened then. And, Dick's tales of his own cars, and the era in which they were created, are a true, honest, look at how it was at the dawn of Hot Rodding...and a testament to the men that built 'em. Here's the Link to listen to this fun Interview !
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage130.html

Best to all,

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of "Magooism" stories I could tell from Dick's early days & into the 70's while in the LAR club, but not enough space here to elaborate.
    RIP Magoo------Keep the shiny side UP-----Don

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Don,
    Thanks ! Dick loved those early days ! He talked about 'em when we were just relaxing at times...wish I'd had the recorder with me then. In this Interview I loved his part about what happened when the police showed up ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage130.html

But, if you've got any LAR stories, or, any others you want to share, please do !!

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net