Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hiroata Merc at Gilmore

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 27, 2013.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yesterday I was thrilled to see the Hirohata Merc at the Gilmore Car Museum here in Hickory Corners MI. Thanks to Dennis Lesky, of Ionia Hot Rod Shop, the curator for this 2 year showing, another iconic car is right in my backyard, inspiring me to do a little better.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. The Hirohata Mercury is the car that excited me about custom cars,,it was then as it is now my favorite custom. HRP

3. Cruiser

Cruiser

It's spell "Hirohata". :D A great Merc with lots of history.

CRUISER :cool:

4. Thanks for pointing out my spelling fopa.:rolleyes: HRP

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Spell check, and I, both missed that! And "spell" should be "spelled"...;-)

6. Curious if this is the Walker clone or the real Hirohata Merc. The color repaint of the original is darker and it is CA based. Whichever, it is a beauty.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The plaque on the front seat with the owners name is not Kurt McCormick, who, as far as I know, restored the original and still has it. So, I'm thinking the clone, but either way, I'm knocked out by it being here!

Brian

8. Kurt has never owned the original Hirohata Merc, Jim McNeil who has owned it for many years did the restoration. Jack Walker had the clone built and still owns it as far as I know.

Mick

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks for straightening me out. I thought Kurt had the original, but obviously I was in error on that assumption. I believe it's Jack Walkers name on the placard in the car. The real way to find out is to come to Michigan and see it!

Brian

10. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

The Hirohata Merc is my favorite Merc custom! I illustrated this for Barris. He has this metal sign for sale on his website.

<a href="http://s289.photobucket.com/user/delswanson/media/BarrisHiroMercdonejpeg.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  11. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

one of my favorites since i was a kid, need to go see it.

12. Jim McNeil owns the original
    Jack Walker owns the clone.

Either way, still a killer Custom

13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's nice work! My favorite too, ever since I first saw photos of it.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Kool! Since the Gilmore is open this winter it's going to be a perfect place to get my fix...

15. I visited this museum when I went to the last Autorama. It is a spectacular and the setting is pure Michigan farm country. Hope this is all still in place for this years Autorama. The little Deuce Coupe is part of my history over the years and I am always in awe when I see it.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The original was at Cobo some years back. Right up front. Only time I've seen it in person. It's beautiful in pictures, but totally mind-blowing in person, under the lights. I must've walked around it staring a dozen times...taking in every line from every angle. I'd never felt "privileged" to be in the presence of any car like I did with the Hirohata Merc. Well, except maybe the Chrisman Bro's coupe.

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's sort of like standing next to the Holy Grail. Inspiring.

18. I think the one at the Autorama was the Walker clone. I don't think the original has been east since 1953 when Bob Hirohata drove cross country as featured in the little book. The clone is very well done and it is easy to mistake it for the original.

19. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

There is another Barris clone on display also. A '51 Chevie Bel Air hardtop. Good choice for a curator.

20. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

The one at the museum is the clone owned by Jack Walker

21. FASI

FASI

LOU39. Your from Cedar I see. The '51 Chevy clone spent a number of years in Cedar before moving to Lake Leelanau, and when not in the Gilmore Museum.

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could be that the one I saw at Cobo...I think in the early '90s...was the clone. But I remember going to St. Ignace in the late '80s (probably '88) and seeing what I thought was the Hirohata Merc with the Fred Rowe Mercury. The two cars were major attractions at St. Ignace that year, and billed as the first time being together since they were both in the 1955 movie Running Wild. It would've been the same year that Linda Vaughn was there.

I'm sittin' here lookin' at an old box of pictures I took of it at the Cobo show and the two cars at St. Ignace.

I guess I should scan the photos and post 'em.

23. autobilly

autobilly

Thrilled is what I'd be to stand and gaze at this most iconic of customs.

24. And everyone thought all Barris made was cartoon cars lol!

25. Model T1

Model T1

What you talkin bout? That is the HOLY GRAIL. :D:rolleyes:

26. When I grew up I worked with Jack Walker & Helped him on many It was great having exhibitor passes to get me & a\few friends in shows

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Actually, it's hard to pick between that or Cotton Werksman roadster...