Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

hillborn injection on the street?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trvguy, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Running it on the street is no problem. Driving it all the time will be a problem. Have fun playin' with it!
  2. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller Member

"Contrary to the naysayers, mechanical fuel injection can be tuned to be perfectly streetable. We stood right beside the car as Keith leaned in and hit the starter, and the engine fired to life and idled like it had EFI . . . and he never touched the throttle linkage. That's what 30 years of tuning experience will get you. A cockpit-mounted FI jet controller and exhaust temp gauge allow him to adjust the air/fuel ratio to allow easy cruising or balls-out blasts of power."

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1011_keith_robinsons_street_legal_sprint_car/index.html

He did it. It must be do-able.

Think about it... though not hillborn injection, early corvettes, older diesels, older mercedes benz cars... all had mechanical injection.
  3. CutawayAl

CutawayAl Member

I don't remember anyone saying it is not possible to drive a Hilborn injected car on the street. The issue is how suited it is for that use. Hilborn injection is "dumb". It was intended to work well over a limited RPM range, at high loads and high throttle opening. Hilborn meters fuel based on RPMs and throttle position, that's it. On the other hand, EFI, all but the earliest carburetors, and the various mechanical injection systems designed for street use(including the ones you mentioned) don't blindly deliver fuel based on RPMs and throttle position, they meter based on what the engine is actually doing at any given moment. If you look at how the mechanical injection works on "early corvettes, older diesels, older mercedes benz cars", and the timed mechanical injection made by Bosch, Lucas, Spica, etc; Hilborn style injection is in no way comparable those.

For anyone who chooses to believe the inherent limitations of Hilborn injections are not significant, how would you answer the following? If Hilborn injection "can be tuned to be perfectly streetable" , why is it that NO manufacturer has ever used Hilborn style injection on a street car, but instead used injection systems that are more complicated, and more expensive to produce? Although car companies are rightfully cautious about using new technologies, they do like to save money. If Hilborn injection can be "perfectly streetable" it seems like at least one road car manufacturer would have used during the 60+ years since Stu Hilborn introduced the technology. Why did the unlimited, cost is no object, Can-Am cars of the late '60 use more complicated mechanical fuel injection rather than constant flow Hilborn?

In the example you mentioned the driver has to manually adjustments fuel delivery based on operating conditions. That pretty much makes my point.
  4. rotten johnny

rotten johnny Member

Please tell me why toyota still puts floor mats in their cars.
  5. Mike The Photo Guy

Mike The Photo Guy Member

More of Johnny Rotten's Car!
    Mike TPG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Reson8customs

Reson8customs Member

I'm getting ready to remove my leaking tri power and replace it with a 6-71 and 4 hole Hilborn converted to EFI I'll let you guys know how it goes.