Register now to get rid of these ads!

Highboy headlight stands..ideas for something different?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by myke, Apr 3, 2007.

1. myke

myke
    from SoCal

I am looking for some ideas for headlight stands. I am pretty bored of the "made out a headlight bar" style.

Anyone have any different suggestions? or maybe some pics of them done a different way?

2. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

Myke -

Funny you ask this...

I have a pair of loose 8BA rods that I was thinking of using to fab up a pusher bar for my car - with a little heating and bending, they'd make for fine headlight mounts! Betcha the rigidity of a rod would make for a rock solid mount, too...

3. myke

myke
    from SoCal

If you look close here are some I was making out of model T connecting rods.

I was never real happy about how they looked, kinda out of place. But I could still go that route.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Made mine from some aero tubing. They come off of a "tower" that I fabricated to hold the shock on one end and the radiator.

Rex

Attached Files:

5. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I was contemplating using something I saw on an 18 wheeler. They have a single round light that mounts to the side of the big square nose on the truck. It drops down on an arm and looks pretty slick. I got this idea from watching the Chrome Shop Mafia on CMT's Trick my Truck. I can't find a decent enough picture of these lights, but they might be a different approach to what you're wanting.

6. Here is how I did mine. :D

Attached Files:

7. I think someone here used a tire-arm for headlight stands. Might be a "Tech" post on it.

8. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

What if you mounted them off the side of the grill instead of the frame that would be different. kinda like the old 37 nash.

9. These stands are commonly available aftermarket ones folded up from 1/8" metal.

Easy to duplicate from a piece of 1" x 2" x.120 rectangular tubing.
    Just cut away what's not needed.

A lot of class could be added here by incorporating a curve in the narrow backside.
    A few lightening holes perhaps?

Instead of making them strictly for a shock mount as shown, a 3/16" horizontal tab mounted up top allows for headlight mounting.
    You may want to angle the tab down in front due to most Ford type headlights are built to sit on an angle in the headlight bar cup.

I tried a pair of Deuce sized headlights, but they couldn't be adjusted down far enough to use due to the flat ends on the headlight bar I made.

Note that the headlight bar is also the retaining nut for the shock.

The braided stainless line carries the wiring.
    Seemed like an ok idea at the time, but I've gotten to the point where I'm not overly fond of it.
    Maybe a change down the line and for sure, a little different on the 31 on 32 rails roadster project.

I have seen light aircraft wing strut tubing split & re-welded so it's narrower on the top than it is on the bottom.
    A couple of flanges for frame mounting and the headlight and you'd be in business.

Attached Files:

10. Bull

Bull

myke, got a side view of that car? Looks good!