Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hemi Cylinder Wall Pitted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty30Dodge, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Howdy

I cracked open my 331 Hemi that was supposed to be pulled running and ok and found it had two burnt valves and water pitting in a cylinder. Can those pits be welded up and honed out? or am I going to have to sleeve it! How much will a sleeve cost? Thanks

Spedemn69 likes this.
  2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Sleeving will be cheaper than welding if welding is even possble. I have never heard of that repair. Your cylinder wall may clean up at a standard oversize and not need sleeving. IE bore the motor to 354. Last time I needed a sleeve it was $100. May well be more now.

3. Depending on how bad it is I might not do anything. Cast Iron rings are pretty forgiving. I have gotten away with some pretty marginal stuff and not had problems. Does this motor half to be as good as New? Something to think about.
    The Wizzard

4. George

George

Find out how deep they are, if the others would clean up @ .030 & it would take a max overbore for the 1, I'd sleeve the 1. Did on mine.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plus one on never having heard of welding up pits or anything else in a cylinder wall. Most of the time a cleanup bore will take care of pits like that unless the thing is almost rusted away.
    If the bores are good on the rest of the holes and the engine doesn't need bored I can see sleeving one or two cylinders.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. 94hoghead

94hoghead

My 354 was supposed to be running when they used her last. I got her home only to find a hole in the number 6 piston big enough to put your fist through. some thing never change...

7. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Of course it running, till it got the hole in the piston.

8. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

If the pitting is in the ring area, go ahead and sleave it. That's the proper way to fix that.

You'll find the sleaved cylinder to be superior to all the rest. It is a much better material than cast iron, and if you can afford it, sleave all eight.

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Is this thing a hot rod or what? Boring instructions "When it doubt, Go bigger" Punch it out. Someday when you get old and can't stand the accelration anymore you can always sleeve it back to stock. Maybe find a two barrel. Single exhaust. Stuff like that.

10. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Thanks Alot. I never heard of welding em up either must of been something else I was thinking of! I appreciate you alls expertise!

11. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

Just a stocker on a budget! I cant afford the spendy pistons etc.. Just hoping for a runner!

12. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Provided it ain't really bad, that is what I was thinking...

IMO, unlike bearing surfaces, etc., when talking about a driver, cylinders don't always need to be "perfect".... Not in my experience anyway.

I have put a few engines together with "less than perfect" cylinder bore surfaces, and have never had any issues at all.

Might sound cheap and/or cheezy, but sometimes this is just a matter of practicality.

13. dv8

dv8

We had to sleeve one cylinder in my 331...It was a "running" engine. While we were at it, we replaced all the bearings/pushrods/lifters/etc. It was $800 in parts, and $800 for all the work from the machine shop...including the sleeve, and assembly (I disassembled it).

14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Kind of depends where the pits are,as in lower cyl wall may only cause a problem with oil ring as comp. rings may not go that far down. So slight oil burning may happen .Same thing if its in upper cyl it will be compression leak and blow bye but maybe no oil consumption. Try to figure what it will harm by its' location. Its possible that some of the ring travel may not extend enough to matter a lot.if top performance is not an issue a lot of stuff is pretty forgiving.

15. I've done countless motors for people just like you, "on a budget". Unless that hole is a real mess I guarantee you a set of Cast Iron rings will get you back on the road. Things don't half to be Perfect to be Fun.
    The Wizzard

16. spoons

spoons
    from ohio

Mine had bad pitting from mouse piss sitting in the bore. I had it bored .060 and it cleaned up just fine....

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Stock replacement 354 pistons or maybe if your really cheap used 354 pistons are not exactally expensive.

18. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

mine had pitting in it i thought it looked bad but it cleaned up with just .020

19. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

yes ive herd of welding up the cylinder wall but you will have to talk with a machine shop and get there advice

20. I had a buddy that bought a 440-6 pack short block out of the want ads. When we went to pick it up we find that the guy has it sitting outside uncovered, upside down in his wifes flower bed rusting for who knows how long. So my buddy and another one of our butcher, I mean mechanic buddy's (LOL) gets it home, sprays the shit out of it, gets it freed up and dingleball hones the cylinders withn the bottom end still assembled. The cylinders were pretty pitted. He then throws a mild cam and a fresh set of 906 heads on it and proceeds to go 13.70's with a stock converter and 3:23 gears in an OT 69 Roadrunner. She did smoke a little bit when ya got on it hard but that motor lasted years until he sold the car. Sometimes ya watch somebody do everything wrong and it still comes out all right. Some pits in the cylinders on a cruiser? After seein' that, I'd bolt it up and give it a try.

21. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

...I'm thinkin' JB Weld...

22. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

1. hone it with some used dryer sheets
    2. JB weld as needed or until you run out edit: ^^^yep, beat me to it
    3. button it back up
    4. smoke tires

23. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

JB weld does wonders!

24. Now come on guys. JB Weld in the cylinder bore?

25. George

George

Makes about as much sence as ignoring pits & not bothering to do it right.

26. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

24 replies and nobody asked for pics to base their advice on? There's pitted and there's pitted.
    Post some pics first if possible.

27. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Early on someone asked for pics, and of course the extent of the pitting is huge, but so long as we are not writing a legal document, or line for lin instructions, a little common sense reading between the lines has to apply.

Everyone knows that long drawn out "all inclusive" replies on these threads will for all intents and purposes simply be skimmed at best, and totally ignored at worst.

Since there are no pics, the original poster will have to make his own decision.

28. You're not going to take it apart when it fails. Do it right the first time.

29. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

The hamb just freakin rules thanks guys!

30. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

One thing to rmember, if you bore an engine .060 larger bore, then that's just .030 on each side. .030 is like the dirt under my fingernail.

I've never been a greaseball mechanic. I only want to do things once. A sleave is cheaper than breaking a ring in a pit.

The picture I use, is West Virginia, mountain road, broke down, and some toothless boys who want me to squeel like a pig.

No thanks...