Register now to get rid of these ads!

hemi casting numbers..need help identifing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cgascompression, Nov 20, 2009.

1. cgascompression

cgascompression

This should be a 354. bores a little under 4".
    havent put a set of mics on it yet.
    block casting# 1819829-6
    head casting # 1733463-1
    intake casting# 1537726
    con rod # DF 40MS3049XO
    Need yalls help identifing.
    What is the most yall have bored these blocks.
    New to the hemi scene guys. Yall will get tired of the questions. haha

Attached Files:

2. Skirv

Skirv

Are you sure that 1819829 number is not actually 1619829? 1619829 should be a 354 block from a Dodge truck. I don't shoe the 181 number listed. Post the STAMPED, not cast number at the top front center of the block, right in front of the valley pan.

3. Skirv

Skirv

1733463 = 354 Dodge truck cylinder head

1537726 = 2bbl intake, truck manifold

That connecting rod part number doesn't seem right.

4. cgascompression

cgascompression

could be a six. casting number pretty rough. i'll check in the am on the stamped one. How bout bore size and how much can they be. I'm gona have to go .060

5. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

That is a truck or industrial block, the "heat riser" passage on the intake is taller than the intake ports. I'm pretty sure the heat riser passage is actually for coolant in industrial marine and truck motors. Also, the water pump housing is different in passenger blocks. The local hemi guru I get stuff off of told me that those W blocks are even better than A-1's. As for overboring, I know a guy that went 110 over in a truck block. I wouldn't suggest it but there's a lot of meat in those cylinder walls. I couldn't tell ya 354 or 331 though. Good luck.

6. silent rick

silent rick

did you get the exhaust manifolds?

7. George

George

"Ws are better than A1s" All the foundrys had the same specs.

8. cgascompression

cgascompression

no, exhaust manifolds. Will be running lake headers

9. silent rick

silent rick

all the truck motors seem to be missing the exhaust manifolds. they bring good money on ebay.

10. krooser

krooser

Here's damn near everything you need to know about the early Hemi....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118764

Bookmark it for future refererence.

That IS a truck motor... the short block will be good to use as-is with a rebuild. the heads, as mentioned before, are equipped witha "tall" heatriser which will have to blocked off or welded shut to use with any other intake manifold... but it's been done many times.

Keep your eyes and mind open when building a Hemi... you DON'T need every fancy pice of billet bling and accessory to build one... you'll save lots of $$$, too.

11. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

Relax man, this is just what has been passed down guy to guy since the 50's. Some blocks supposedly had a higher nickel content. I don't really care, I don't plan on running nitro.

12. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

Those non-script valve covers are rare pieces, they only came on power giant truck motors.

13. George

George

always heard it the other way & the "they're all the same" responce posted.:)
    without core shift you should be able to go 4" bore. If you use std bore 392 pistons you'll get 1 point lower compression that what the box says. What is the use code, should be on a flat in front of valley cover. There are blocks with 354 casting #s, but bored to 331 instead.

14. cgascompression

cgascompression

Block stamped with L8-D-8 1213. Is there any after market intake manifolds for this truck engine

15. George

George

354 You can use the '54 4 bl intake, or you have to drill between the front & next runners & put in fittings for a remote thermostat on a dry intake.

16. What KROOSER said...

Attached Files:

• 102.JPG
      102.JPG
      File size:
      63.2 KB
      Views:
  17. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

Good call, I agree.:D

18. 73RR

73RR

The L8D8 is in the ID chart in HemiTech...
    All (Chrysler) truck engines have the pattern drilled in the front of the block that is the same as the 51-54 pass car water pump/t-chain housing pattern. All (Chrysler) truck engine intake manifolds, (and all 51-54 pass cars) have a t-stat. All (Chrysler) truck engine intakes have the tall water port at the centre.
    Although possible, it is a major job to redrill the block. It would be cheaper to pay the usual $400 for a 54 4-bbl intake. You can shrink the centre port or switch to 54 pass heads. The truck head is servicable as is or you can install pass car guides and valves.
    Pass car manifolds, 55-58, can be used but as George said you will then need a remote t-stat. I have yet to see one that looks good....

If you shop around, you might find one of the oem 2x1 or 2x2 intakes that were used on the trucks. There was a 2x1 and a 4-bbl manifold on ebay yesterday...

19. George

George

1 of mine is a '55 block with 55 timing cover pattern. solid front heads with fat valve stems & rotators & the square crossover. The intake was a wet 2X1 with a '57 cast date.

20. 73RR

73RR

Thats gotta be the oddest package yet. What water pump was used over the tin cover?

Never say 'never' with MotherMopar.

21. George

George

No w/p with it, not sure if it's a throw together or not, probably is. A chevy pump would be the obvious thing to fix the problem.