Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Help wanted to ID these mirrors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgeball, Oct 5, 2015.

1. dodgeball

dodgeball

Hi, Can anyone help me identify these mirrors? PO told me they were mid 50's Packard, but, to me with the research I have done find them similar but not the same, the Packard ones have a tri bar mount, where with these, the ring around the mirror is attached to the base, and the glass pivots off the leg. They are on my Dodge Coronet but possibly belong on something else(they came in a box of stuff supplied to me by previous owner and I fitted them). Originally fender mounted, I modified them to fit the door, by rotating the outer ring so the wind split on the top sits vertically while the mirror sits on the angle on the door. I wouldn't have thought they were aftermarket, due to the beautiful detail with all the ribbing, notches and the windsplits. I have a matching pair. They really do look at home on my Dodge, and am just interested in their original fitment. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You know that auto part places like Pep Boys, Western Auto, JC Whitney, etc...........etc........sold aftermarket mirrors and some looked similar to OEM mirrors so it's a little tricky to figure out the origin of your mirrors but here on the HAMB, anything can happen. Some HAMBer may know where Elvis is living.

3. dodgeball

dodgeball

Ok, thanks, I've never seen anything aftermarket like this down here in Australia, most mirrors sold here in the 50's and 60's were wibroc brand mirrors and very basic design. Aftermarket stuff here is crap. Hopefully someone recognises them.

4. Mark T

Mark T

Possibly made by Yankee, take it off and look at the bottom side

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The fancier the mirror, the more likely it's aftermarket.

6. 'Back in the day', many dealers elected to not buy 'factory' mirrors, if a customer wanted mirrors they bought the generally cheaper aftermarket mirrors (and charged factory price... LOL). And the factory usually didn't install mirrors even if ordered; they were usually left loose in the trunk (along with the hubcaps and radio antenna) for the dealer to install so they didn't get stolen in shipping. Most aftermarket manufacturers made 'similar' mirrors for all the popular cars, as well as their own designs, so unless a mirror has a OEM part number on it tracking one down can be difficult...