Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! Old style chrome clamp on turn signal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasper6120, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hello everyone

I've been wiring up one of those old chrome clamp on turn signals (with the green lamp) on to my car. Problems began however when someone helpfully disposed of the wiring diagram. I've tried my best thus far to wire it all together and been mostly successful, however the green bulb, when on the off position is glowing green. I'm sure I've wired it all wrong, but this is what I have currently:

Red = Power
    Green = Left Front
    Blue = Left Rear
    Black = Right Front
    Grey = Right Rear
    Yellow = Bulb (from power)
    Orange = Nothing

All the indicators work but the bulb is doing my head in. Sure it flashes left and right when I indicate but I doubt it should be on in the middle position. I've checked the wiring diagrams for the old chrome clamp on lights but they are different from mine. I know this is confusing as can be, but does anyone have any advice??

2. The little green lights in mine do all kinds of wierd things, and I had the diagram.

3. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

So you're saying its supposed to have that perpetual glow? I can't imagine you are. More of a comment on today's build quality?

4. Check Grote.com they made them years ago and seems they still do

5. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

[​IMG]Maybe this will help:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. fleetside66

fleetside66

On my hot rod, my light is on all the time, too (until I turn off the power, anyway). My turn signals work fine, as well. However, I have the same unit on my daily driver ('66) truck & the light does not stay on all the time (and the turn signals work fine). Go figure. Like Mike Miller said, they're screwy. What can you expect for $15 a pop? I'm leaving it that way.

7. ravedodger

ravedodger

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Mine (similar to the one in the diagram pic) has a red indicator light in the middle (for power I gues?) and two green indicator lights for turn signals. My red light is on all the time and sometimes clicks and flashes like the turn signal indicators. I'm positive it's wired correctly and all lights, signals, and hazards work like they should. That seems to be the same kind of deal as yours, I don't know what I could do about it.

9. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hello there.

Yes its a curious matter. Perhaps there is a small voltage coming through the car body causing the 'ground' to actually be active??

10. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Oh and also a lot of these diagrams seem to have 3 wires connected to the flasher unit? I have a three pronged flasher unit but one of the prongs doesn't seem to do anything.

11. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Ok.. I think I may have answered the problem in that last message. Not getting any power from the pilot connection on the flasher unit. Being very old and crusty I'll forgive it this one time. I'll put a new one in tomorrow and report my findings.

12. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

I still am having problems with the thing!!!
    Ok, I bought a new flasher unit and the thing is clicking over super fast. Clicking at least twice the normal rate (as was my old one but I thought that it was just old and dead). When I connect the flasher lamp to the pilot connection it flashes too. Even when there's nothing going through the load. I gather there is too much power flowing through the circuit? Can anyone help me out here?

13. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Also, the flasher bulb at the end of the turn signal should be connected by means of pilot - bulb - ground... right??

14. jc62

jc62

I hope this can help.

Black-Right Rear Flasher Lamp
    Sky Blue-Right Front Flasher Lamp
    Green-Left Front Flasher Lamp
    Dark Blue-Left Rear Flasher Lamp
    Orange-Stop Switch
    Red-Flasher L Terminal
    Yellow-Flasher P Terminal

I`l PM you the wiring diagram tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  15. The little green light should not be on at all times.....only when the lights
    are flashing to indicate a turn.

Which turn signal unit do you have........if it's the $20 cheapie with
    green plastic lense on the end of the handle, I would be suspicious of
    a possible defect in the unit. I have one of those cheapies - soon to
    be replaced by something of better quality......and it has had a different
    problem. Not the best made item.

Otherwise must be in how it's hooked up. How do you have it grounded?

[​IMG]

16. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hi JC62, thanks for the colour codes there. I have it wired the same as that apart from I have the light blue and the black (right - front and back) the other way around. I can't imagine that would be a problem? Still, If you find time to message me the diagram I might find something in it. Thanks a lot.
    47 Plym, yes I do have the $20 cheapy. Looked better when I saw it on ebay, somewhat akin to a child's toy, but I'll persist for the mean time because its better than nothing.
    As far as the grounding the unit itself currently has none (rubber mounted) and I have a makeshift wire running from it to the dash board. I only use that to activate the flashing light though. The other bulbs work fine either way. But yes. Clicking on overtime. The pilot connection on the flasher isn't supposed to activate any clicking at all without the bulbs activated on the load surely?

17. Black Primer

Black Primer

I must have the same one. My red indicator is on all the time too, however it hasn't clicked or flashed...yet. Every thing else works as it should.

18. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Remember, my unit has three indicator lights on it- two green for signals and a red in the middle for power(?). The red was flashing and clicking when just driving normally with no signals on. In the last couple of days, it has stopped flashing and clicking. I have absolutely no idea why. All lights and signals still work properly. Maybe the little indicator bulbs burnt out?

19. jc62

jc62

Here`s the wiring diagram!

Attached Files:

20. R Pope

R Pope

Semi's still use them. Go talk to a guy in the shop at Navistar or Kenworth dealers.

21. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

22. jc62

jc62

Just in case the PDF does not open.

Attached Files:

23. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden

Mine has glowed for the last 3 years. Helps find it in the dark :)

24. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Hey JC62, at a glance everything seems to be the same in accordance with that diagram. Having said that I'll unwire everything and go through it systematically when I get a chance, just to rule out any faults I could have made. Thanks for the info everyone. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has had indicator woes.

25. v8val

v8val

Hi all, i've been trying to wire one of these with no luck. The flasher units i have are only 2 prong so i have one wire left. I'm not really understanding this as it flashed with the old clamp on i had but it's stuffed. do i need to get a 3 prong flasher? should be able to fit it to my after market fuse box. Please help, getting pissed off and deparate!