Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help needed, 41 Ford Coupe dimensions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39ChevyRatRod, Apr 6, 2008.

1. 39ChevyRatRod

39ChevyRatRod

Hello all, I just picked up my latest project, 1941 Ford Coupe, not sure if its a business or not perhaps someone can help there too. What I need are the measurements for wheelbase, front and rear track width and a measurement from the front body mount to the front axle centerline so I get the wheels centered in the openings. This came with no frame so I have nowhere to start, I can build a frame no problem just need measurements to get started, I plan to start with a 79 camaro front sub if the track width works. Thanks to all in advance.

2. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I can help with the business coupe question. The business coupe has a shorter door, measured at about the center, should be appx 36 inches, as I remember.

3. stock wheelbase is 114"

i think you would be better of using an original frame and adding a mustang II front suspension...or at least get a frame to use as a pattern

4. 79 Camaro is too wide. Also make your wheelbase 115 inches. 114 is stock, but the tires will not be centered correctly in the wheelwells. Henry wasn't that fussy. Pat.

5. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

The business coupe door is 33.5 inches....I'm pretty sure the wheel base is 115", but I can't check because mine's in the paint shop....I really don't recommend using a Camero or nova clip, I have one in mine and it's to wide....the fenders on the 41 tighten up at the front more than the 46/7/8 so there's no room for 15'' wheels because they hit the wheel arches, and you can't lower the front end without rubbing everywhere.......I'd recommend Mustang 2, or a dropped axle...also, you should be able to pick up an original frame, I'm pretty sure they are the same from 41 to 48 and I've seen them for sale cheap...try "Ford Barn"....another way to go that I've seen is Chev S10...you can use the frame, front suspension, rear suspension, trans, drive shaft, and rear end....it's the right width, and very easy to alter the wheelbase....the steering box interferes with the rad, so you have to lean the rad, and use an electric fan....I think you need an older model (80's or early 90's) regular cab long box, or extended cab short box......good luck.....

6. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

Fordnutz is the man that knows everything about the S10 conversion....that who I got my info from.......

7. 39ChevyRatRod

39ChevyRatRod

Thanks Paucho the S-10 was another alternative, I already have one but hadnt looked into it yet. I want to put a 454 in this and know that getting exhast for a big block in the S-10 frame will be rough. I'll wait and see if Fordnutz chimes in on here if not I'll PM him and see if he can offer any more assistance.

8. 39ChevyRatRod

39ChevyRatRod

My mistake should have looked at the names first. I see Fordnutz is already in here. One of these days I'll get glasses.

9. 39ChevyRatRod

39ChevyRatRod

So Fordnutz whats your take on the S-10 frame conversion? Pros & Cons

10. phat rat

phat rat

As said the front steer sub is way to wide. Even the rear steer is wide for these cars, although it can be done with narrowed A-arms. With the A-arms narrowed 15" wheels and low can be done. A BBC also fits fine with that. Here's proof, my BBC 41. Just remembered in this pic it was still wearing 14's in the frt. The S-10 frame stock puts the steering box right up at the frt fender.

Attached Files:

11. I used a 73 Buick Apollo sub in a 41 business coupe I built about 10 years ago. I wound up narrowing the sub 3", not easy or fun. The funny part was the p.o. had put on a 56 ford frame.