Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help me find pictures of Track Nose Bonneville 32' 3 window coupe's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

So I've got a client that wants to build a 32' 3 window Bonneville style track nose coupe. I started looking through the hundreds of pictures I've collected through the years and I honesty couldn't find many 32' 3 window's that had track nose's. (at least ones that looked presentable, ha) Any of you guys have pictures of any 32' 3 windows with track nose's?

I can see where it would be hard to have a track nose on a 32' coupe. Cause usually the track nose has a laid back feel, and I think that would clash with the straight up and down cowl on the coupe.

Here are the ones I've been able to find.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have seen the miller front ends, but its not really a bonneville look.

[​IMG]

Seems like all the coupe's back then with track nose's were 33'-34' 3 windows, like these ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. .

I can't help you much except to say it's tough to find much out there.

We considered doing a track nose for the '32 5-window I'm having built now and couldn't find much to reference. Like you said the deuce is not as swoopy as a '33/'34 and harder to pull off a track nose.

If anyone can, I'm sure it's you. Good luck.

3. Quite honestly I don't think the body style lends itself to a track nose. The 37 truck grille is about as good as it gets. I would suggest that direction. Most of them look like an after thought. Like stated, the 33-34's look better with a nose like that.

4. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I forgot about this coupe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was thinking if i were able to lean the cowl to the same angle as the door, then It would be closer looking to a 33'-34' coupe. Then I could have a leaning style track nose.

Here is this picture with the cowl leaned. Just so you guys can get an idea. (I would of course lean the louvers to match.)

[​IMG]

5. alchemy

alchemy

Rolling Bones

Attached Files:

6. Window Licker

Window Licker

ImageUploadedByTJJ1361218519.905623.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1361218548.143352.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1361218568.353721.jpg more of Keith's coupe

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I forgot about that one too. The owner wants to be able to drive it around town, so I'm sure i'll need to have a grill style opening and a radiator. The nose on the bones car is designed more for aerodynamics so it comes more to a point. I would want the front of it to end closer to the front of the tires too.

8. You got to what I was thinking with the photoshop you did on the dynaliner. A slanted grille shape and the slant of the door leading edge confuse the eye with the vertical firewall/cowl line, and the hood louvers in between. Making those four lines have symmetry is your solution. Now the question becomes do you cut back the top of the cowl or extend the bottom? Extending the bottom gets you even closer to the proportions of the '33/4 and might help with radiator to engine fitment with a frame stretch.

9. Phil1934

Phil1934

another model car. upright looks better to me. Reminds me of some early ones with a pair of '40 Ford hoods for a nose.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  10. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Not a 3W, but a roadster;
    [​IMG]

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Funny... those seven pics of track nosed coupes at the lakes or Bonneville are the same two cars.

First, I agree with curbspeed that 33/34's look cool with a nose. And I'll add that ANY coupe will need to be hammered to keep from looking goofy with a nose. (the Rolling bones coupe looks great with less chop because it is actually a race car. For me, dedicated Bonneville cars get a full pass to do whatever they want style wise because well... that is full bore hot rodding)

If he wants a hot rod that looks like it was built a long time ago I would just move forward and do it. People did funky stuff and it worked because it wasn't fidgeted with over 60 years and countless trends. That pink coupe is a perfect example.

But if you're talking about wanting a car to look like a lakes car... and then redesigning cowl lines and changing the angle of lovers for "flow" or whatever... I would personally stop looking for examples and start steering him another direction.

12. Well said Kevin.

13. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Street Rodder magazine is not necissarily the traditionalists magazine, but they have good stuff from time to time. I think it was the March issue of this year which had an artwork belonging to Jeff Norwell called the Pie-Cut coupe. It was a model a and not a 32', but it was definetly cool looking. Almost looked like Bass's Wade Coupe with a track nose. Hammered top, re-worked windshield, and an extended wheel base are definietly in order to make the proportions look right. I bet Jeff would send you a pic of his drawing.