Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help indentify vintage ford rims on a 32 3w circa 1960

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a pic of our 3w about 1960. Unfortunately we did not get any chassis or running gear. But am curious as to the origin of the rims. They appear to have no windows at the centre meeting the rim and look to take early wire caps. They will be ford stud pattern. Are they some sort of English ford rim?

image.jpeg

2. bumping up.....just thinking the rim is a standard one - with maybe an accessory outer ring that the cap is just missing ?

3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

My older bro has some full covers that go over the Ford spoked rim. What is on your coupe might be a version of those things.

4. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am picking the Firestone balloon at present. But dam they would sure be a rare animal down under. They must still be here some where. Nz was more about practical than glitz.
    Maybe there is another more practical answer.

5. bathcollector

bathcollector

That is the pic when it's here in Dannevirke I think Brian ? I will ask a guy that should know. David May owned it back then ??

6. Father-in-law had those balloon tires on his "A" when he was in high school a few years back; sure look like the wheels in your picture.
    IMAG1120.jpg

302GMC likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

They might be the Firestone wheels like in Sancho's link, or they might be Goodyear Air Wheels. Clark here on the HAMB is a big collector of the Goodyear wheels, as well as other odd old wheels. He's at the Detroit show right now, but send him a PM and let him see the pics when he gets back. He'll be able to identify them for sure.

Sancho likes this.
  8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup this is the only old pic we have from probably 44 Millers Rd. Dannevirke. These wheels should still be around somewhere in NZ.

9. bathcollector

bathcollector

I saw John this morning, He remembers both David and the car though will have to see a pic of the wheels. " Fark, that was about 1960" was his comment. And, yep, Millers Street with either his Mum or Granny ?

10. Mat Eastwood posted this pic in the thread started by 3wLarry, "old weathered paint " newgrill.jpg

11. Clark

Clark

Goodyear airwheels....Firestone had them too.