Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help identifying flathead 6 block???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Stumbled across this on my morning MTB ride. Might be common, might be rare? Couldn't find anything that matched with a quick google search so... any help is appreciated.

It's pretty neat looking – if nothing else I can use it as a base for a table or something in the shop.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413660672.676841.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413660692.744191.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1413660714.143941.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I thought it might be an Oldsmobile like in my 46 but it wasn't. I did some searching and looks to be a 230 Dodge? Fuel and oil pump on passenger side, distributor and oil filler on driver's side. Is there a casting pad with any numbers to go by?

3. I believe Mopar also.

BloodyKnuckles

4. I think mopar flat sixes are a 5 main block. I will check the old Motors Manual tonight and try to remember to get back here. What are the basic dimensions on this thing? height? width? length?

5. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Bore diameter might help narrow the choices down too.

6. Studebaker. MoPar sixes have 5 mains.

7. Here's a deck shot of a mid-50's Champion Six;
    [​IMG]

8. I think, Mopar.

9. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

My Plymouth Service Manual says there are 4 main bearings in the flathead 6.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I have seen plenty of four main straight sixes. And lots of seven main straight sixes. But i have never seen a five main straight six. Don't mean there aren,t any. Just means I have never seen one and I don't expect to. The five main inline six seems like a curious arraignment. Can some one explain how the main bearings are situated in such a motor? 4 or 7 seem to work out evenly. I have a couple of 5 main Dodge Bros. four cylinder engines. But they are not MoPar engines.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    Hnstray likes this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I see the oil filler hole but not the distributor hole so I don't think it's a Chryco engine.

12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

With no main caps, it doesn't really matter ...

13. uknconzemius

uknconzemius

Fuel and oil pump on passenger side, distributor and oil filler on driver's side. [​IMG]

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

1/2 way down the block, the dizzy comes out at 45 degrees. Engine number is stamped on pad above freeze plug at front of block on driver's side. Also I note dipstick boss and oil filter takeoff. Post war Flat Heads generally have the build date cast in just below the distributor. I could be wrong but Googled away and this was what I found. Lots of other possibilities?

15. squirrel

squirrel

sure looks like a Stude Champ engine.

stude.jpg

stude2.jpg

16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Doesn't look a bit like my Dodge or Plymouth blocks. (Only 4 mains guys.)
    The screw holes below the tappet galley don't look like Mopar to me.
    The driver's side pan rail is all wrong, the headbolt pattern is wrong. The manifold bolt pattern is wrong. Unless it's much older than mine this engine doesn't say Mopar at all.

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Yeah, see the Stude had a coolant passage at each cylinder right where Mopar has a headbolt.

18. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Hmmm...my serial number indicates a 1953 Dodge engine, but the block says: 50 6-28 cast below the distributor. I don't think it's a date.

19. squirrel

squirrel

another look at the two...maybe the mystery motor and the Stude could be more identical, but I don't know how.

stude3.jpg

Ulu likes this.
  20. Yup, you're right...only 4 mains in a Dodge/Plymouth six. Must have been a Freudian slip; I've been reading about Model A 5 bearing cams :)

I stand beside my contention that it's not a MoPar product; it's a Studebaker.