Register now to get rid of these ads!

help identifying chrysler flathead six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33mopower, Apr 17, 2009.

1. 33mopower

33mopower

I believe the motor to be a 35 up l head motor. The shifter is mounted further forward on the tranny than the original 33 tranny. It's a 3 speed tranny. I am not familiar with these motors and it would be nice to know the year and size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. James Curl

James Curl

The C8 engine is from a 1936 Chrysler Airstream car and is a 241.5 Cu In engine with a bore of 3.38 and a stroke of 4.50. Chrysler had a optional 4 speed transmission with an extra low low which was dropped after 1934. Your car might have had a 4 speed which was replaced with a standard 3 speed. Chrysler also produced the Airflow wwhich was a completrely different car at the same time but it had a different designation than C-8. The engine is either a 93 hp or a 100 hp engine. Hopes this helps. Over on the P15/D24 forum site is a fellow by the name of Don Coatney who has installed a T-5 transmission behind a DeSoto 6 in his plymouth, He used the original bell housing with modifications. He has pictures of everything he had to do to install the T-5 transmission. You will need an overdrive or a 5 speed transmission if you plan to drive long distances in your car. I have a 48 plymouth with flathead six that I drove on a 4600 mile trip to Calif and Bonneville two years ago . I have installed a 3.55:1 Dakota rearend in my car and it still could use a higher gear to hold the RPM down at 70 MPH. Normspeed on that site has a 53 Plymouth wagon with which he pulls a teardrop trailer. He lives in New Mexico and is in Austin Texas now for the Lonestar Round Up having just returned fron a trip to Florida pulling the teardrop trailer so the old flathead will do the job with a little bit of modification.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

All the floor shift mopar 3 speeds I have seeen including a 39 (last year for floor shift) had the shifter all the way in the front of the trans but I am familiar with the 35 to 39s so maybe the earlier versions were diffferent.

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The rest of the car loks interesting what do you have there??? It seems with these mopar 6's the engine swaps became almost routine maintanence. Lots of cars with truck engines, lots of Plymouths had Dodge engines, etc. There is a difference between the brands though, plymouth and dodge and dodge trucks used 23 inch long blocks, Chrysler, Desoto, and all Caadian maufactured Chrysler products used a 25 inch long block. So looks like you have a 25 inch. So if your looking for vintage speed stuff, you need to keep that in mind as the intake and exhaust ports are centerered differently. Accesories will swap between the motors except fot distributors which on the 25 have a longer drive tang.

5. 73RR

73RR

You did not tease us with what you have planned for the car so when you start making plans for the engine, be sure to talk with George Asche Sr, 814-354-2621. He is 'the go to guy' for Mopar flat 6/8 info.

6. 33mopower

33mopower