Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help ID this Stude-amino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dick Steinkamp, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp

I just bought this custom 53 Studebaker coupe done in the late 50's. Haven't even got it home yet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The latest issue of Hot Rod Deluxe has a photo of the 1959 Oakland Roadster Show, and there it is about in the middle of the picture...right on the crease so it looks a little shorter than it actually is...

[​IMG]

The car has sat in the same garage since 1964 when it was disassembled and prepped for a color change. It had a non Stude motor and stick trans (unknown). Reported to have been done by George Barris, but nothing to back that up. Looks too "simple" to me to be a Barris.

Does anybody know anything about this car? I'd like to return it to its former glory. It is well done and still quite attractive.

Thanks

-Dick-

(FNG)

2. Looks like it uses an uncut rear window from another car, be fun finding out from what. Good luck and let us see some updates.

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

good to keep a piece of history going - nice car!

4. $5 says it's a stock coupe rear window turned around so the front's now the bottom - not too many cars in the late 50's with a glass shaped like that.

As for info, anyone have a good library of late 50's car mags and a few hours they won't miss?

5. squirrel

squirrel

that back window opening looks scarily like the windshield from a 55-59 chevy truck, the opening of which measures 57 1/4" wide by 17 3/4" tall

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

if it was taken apart for paint, hopefully the glass is still with the car and not an issue.....

7. Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp

"$5 says it's a stock coupe rear window turned around so the front's now the bottom - not too many cars in the late 50's with a glass shaped like that."

Bingo! It is the stock rear window from the car turned upside down. Pretty creative. I do have all the glass, chrome, etc.

This one should be fairly easy to get back in circulation. The ORS picture shows (I think) early (56-58) Corvette wheel covers and wide whites. It NEEDS to have those again :cool:

8. man, there's one of these up in sherman,texas, unless this is the same one. it's yellow with some wild striped interior. the owners son is on here from time to time.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That is one of the best car to "coupe/pickup" or "ute" conversions I've ever seen. Great lines, good rear cab treatment.

10. FEDER

FEDER

Wow Great find! I love them Stuudys. Hope to see it around next year.
    FEDER

11. Looks like maybe it started life as a wagon?

Steve

12. I give it a thumbs up for sure. What a great feeling to find something like this, in that kind of shape. Keep us posted.

13. Looks like a neat project. Hopefully I'll see it around the area soon!

14. I only see the two middle photos.

15. Take off your beer goggles! :D

16. llonning

llonning

If you can find a couple of guys from the Tacoma area they were/are Studebaker nuts. Names are Chuck Flannery and Gary Johnson. Gary used to be Avanti NW. Haven't seen or heard from them for years. They could probably help with info and parts.

17. rixrex

rixrex

Could be, thats the easiest way to do an El Camino type, there was a 54 "Conestoga" two-door stationwagon that would give you the two-doors, floor and tailgate...nice car..

18. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

im no stude guy, but looks like it was a hawk, i dont know if the power hawk was in 53. my dad is turning a 56 power hawk into a 53. thats where i got the idea. i really should know by now, my grandpa treats studes as a religion.

19. Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp

Thanks for the help and encouragement.

It did start life as a '53 Coupe (C model)...not a wagon. The wagons/sedans were more upright in front, shorter wheelbase, and boxier in back. A wagon probably would have been an easier conversion, but wouldn't look as "sleek" IMHO.

I'll post more detail shots when I get it home.

Thanks again :D !

20. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I have a 1956 Power Hawk Coupe, and had a Sky Hawk Hardtop. Here the long and short of it. 53-54 & 55 were Studebakers only. Hardtops & Coupes are called C & K models.

1956 was the First year of the Hawks. There were Four.The Golden Hawk the Sky Hawk both Hardtops. Power Hawk & Flight Hawk both Coupes these were also referred to as C & K Models. I like the look of the 53 the best

Hey Dick, looks like the 200 mph Vintage Air's 53 Studebaker at Bonneville on your avatar :cool:

21. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

way cool. can't wait to see more pics of it.

22. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Will you put a Stude into it?

23. Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp

Probably. It would be the easiest install and look good with 2 backdraft 2 barrels :cool:. It did have some sort of non Stude power (but no motor and trans now). Home made trans crossmember and pretty cobbed up hydraulic clutch linkage. All that can come out pretty easy and I have enough Stude parts "in stock" to do either an auto or a 4 speed with the Stude V8.

24. Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp

It's my '54 Starliner. Built it over 5 years...drove it 35,000 miles in the next 10 years. 365 HP 327, T10 close ratio 4 speed. Just sold it :(. NEED another project.

Here it is making a pass in Indiana this summer at the SDC International meet...

http://my.videoegg.com/video/dzpQeB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. ElDawgg

ElDawgg

Thats actually cool......I was afraid you were going to post one of those ugly Studeminos (made from 78-87 elcos)
    Nice ride!

26. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

Dick, thats a Choice 54 you had.

I went to Bonneville Speed week in 2000 just to see the Studebaker's run, there just cool

27. chaddilac

chaddilac

Where's The Rikster????

28. bulletnose

bulletnose

That's a cool modified, will make quite a headturning cruiser. And speaking of Studeamino's this one belongs to Ernie Belcher from Calif.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. At first I screamed in horror, upsetting half of my office, now that I have had a chance to look at that thing some new paint and wheels and loose the Testarosa sides would make a pretty cool ride.

The 80's were not good to hot rods.

and Dick, that's a great looking stude-mino.

30. Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp

UPDATE...

After 6 months of thinking about this project and 6 months of working my butt off on it, it's ready to go for upholstery.

I leave tomorrow with it in tow to the SF Bay Area. Howdy Ledbetter will be doing the interior in the body color ('53 Studebaker Chippewa Green) and cream vinyl.

It's been quite a ride! I have met the original builder of the car (Lee Talbot) through a short article in Hot Rod Deluxe. Lee is 80 years old and still playing with cars and drag boats. We should all be so lucky.

The car has been invited to the GNRS to help them celebrate their 60th birthday. This car was exhibited 50 years ago at what was then called the National Roadster Show but commonly called the Oakland Roadster Show.

Here's a few pictures I took just before loading it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will be exhibited with a twin engine go Kart just as Lee did in 1959...

[​IMG]

Here it is in '59 painted T-Bird Pink...

[​IMG]

Here's Lee and his buddy Sam building it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is at the ORS in '59...

[​IMG]