Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HELP ID A FORD 1940-1947

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IcyQueen, Sep 1, 2015.

1. The serial number on the bellhousing is in the range of serial numbers for 1940 model, but the truck is '42-'47. You'll need to go by the serial number stamped on top of the left frame rail to establish the model year, as Ford trucks were essentially the same from '42-'47. So the bellhousing is not the original one, '42-'47 bellhousing is the same as '40 but the one you have was originally installed in a '40. The prefix on a Ford part number indicates the model that the part was first used on. The 21C stamped on the motor mount support indicates that the part was first used on 1942 commercial (half ton pickup and panel) 21 indicates '42 model and C indicates commercial. What follows the prefix is just the general part number for a motor mount support. Also note that while production of passenger cars for the general public stopped in February 1942, a limited number of trucks continued to be built. They just kept building the same trucks they were building when the war started. Shell Oil distributor in Cartersville GA has a '44 Ford tank truck. Likewise, a small number of new cars were built during the war years for the military and other essential uses such as law enforcement, etc. They were just '42 models assembled from parts that were on hand after regular civilian production stopped. So, all we can tell from the pictures and numbers is that your truck could be anywhere from a '42 through a '47 model. We know that is not the original bellhousing since it has a '40 serial number on it. Since the bellhousing is not original to the truck, there is a good chance that the engine has been changed out as well.

2. IcyQueen

IcyQueen

I am sorry I was not meaning to be rude Sir. My avatar was made for me by my kids so I love it. Thank you for noticing my user name is feminine.

el Scotto, volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

I think we can eliminate it as a '42, as the rear of the hood is stamped "Ford", pretty sure all '42's had a "Ford" emblem there.

4. IcyQueen

IcyQueen

Our plans are to restore it. As original as possible.

5. Budget36

Budget36

You may want to head over to www.fordbarn.com for an original restoration.

volvobrynk and X38 like this.
  6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

If it was mine I would restore it as found. A good flathead in a jailbar is a good combo!
    And since it's in there and you don't have the banger now...

But that's just me. And Ford barn welcomes you eighteen way. And they are knowledgeable people too!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. IcyQueen

IcyQueen

Well we agree there we want to keep it with everything it came with for the family and the joy of putting her back on the road. I love to see them all that raw power and the sound they don't make them like that any more. Oh sorry I didn't mean to get a little carried away there.

volvobrynk likes this.