Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help for welding burn, tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, May 19, 2004.

1. Barn Yard Chevy

Barn Yard Chevy

Back in my Teenage Lube Shop days, I would use WD40 on the burn... felt cool & seemed to work against blistering...Had my wife do it once when she burned herself & she like it....
    Gotta Love WD40!

BYC

2. Nads ICE AT THE TIME OF BURN FOR A HALF HOUR-But the ALOE VERA is what ya need NOW-
    if its a burn around the eyelids/nose/face and forehead use CORNHUSKERS hand LOTION-[WALMART] its GOT aloe and other good stuff-it really soothes the fire and stinging.

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Nads,
    Ya know those orangy smelling wash towels in a bucket?
    Wrap those around it, ....it works.
    Glenn

4. Bag Balm...

jaw22w likes this.
  5. [​IMG]Ha ha ha ha ha...[​IMG]

I just remembered my welding tips thread in the Tech O'Matic, and the guy who was cracking all the jokes...

Like the class clown who never learned the lessons. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just because it ain't still red, don't mean it ain't still hot...

Learn it, Live it, Love it....

How's the pussy poker, NADS?

I was just bending a fireplace lintle, using the "heat one side and let it cool so it bends" method, and I ALMOST grabbed the fucker (barehanded) when I thought of that line... and said to myself, "Boy, NADS would have laughed at me if I did that!"

I'm sure I'll do it, real soon, though... and I'll let you know just as soon as I do. [​IMG]

60's STYLE is right, too. A hole in a glove is worse than no glove at all. I just wear brown jersey gloves, and they always get holes in the finger tips. That's where most of my blisters show up. One nice thing... the cops will never bust me on fingerprint evidence. Mine change about once a week [​IMG]

JOE[​IMG]

6. For your present situation, knowing that you have to play, there is a product called Second Skin that will work well, but it will cause some pain on the first application because of your hypersensitive nerves in the burned area.
    Next time, dump the burned area into ice water, the more ice the better. Then I apply butter to keep the oxygen off the burn. Aloe vera will help the healing.

Truck64 likes this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well it was 2004, he's probably picked up a few licks since then though

pat59, 6inarow, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I did the same thing pipeline welding years ago , not a pleasant issue to deal with , doc on the job was a retired corpsman . At lease you had a woman , dealing with the issue . Slag from the stick will not brush off , it has to burn out . Sucked x10

9. 5brown1

5brown1

Use diluted Willard's Water to spray on the burn. Keep the area wet with the liquid and the pain will gradually decrease.
    It is a carbonized water discovered by Prof. Willard at the School of Mines in Rapid City. This really works wonders - I keep it on hand just for treating burns. http://drwillard.com/

Truck64 likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, replying to a thread like this giving advice to the OP like it's happening right now really proves that you're on top of your game :rolleyes: :D

pat59, Truck64 and 49ratfink like this.
  11. I would hope Nads burn has healed up sufficiently by now,it's only been 13 years! :rolleyes: HRP

JB_roadrage and Truck64 like this.
  12. evintho

evintho

Really old thread but here's a great tip. Next time you burn yourself, run into the kitchen and grab a tomato out of the fridge. Slice it in half and put it on the burn. Something about the acid in the tomato. It relieves the pain almost instantly and stops the burn from going to blister. Been using it for years..............it works! Give it a try.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Years ago I gave my dad a Zippo lighter. Well he lived alone then, I guess he was filling it up with lighter fluid while sitting in his easy chair recliner and ... didn't notice it dripping fuel... Oops. It's not really funny but he managed to burn his unit a little bit after the test burn. Thing is he said he flung the burning lighter away from him at the time, and it never turned up, never found it again.

He's gone now, going through the house cleaning it out (slowly) and probably going to find it under a bookcase or something like that I expect.

14. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Heavy Salt water in a Coffee cup and soak about 10 minutes, burns like Hell but will Cauterize the area....

15. Used to be a bucket of urine in every blacksmith and forge shop. Not because it was cold outside, because it's great for burns. Look it up

16. Budget36

Budget36

Think I'll stick to gloves;)

Mark Hinds and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Cider man soak it in cider

Mark Hinds likes this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

A welding burn could be a little harsh, we have had our own explosion/errors that went into the glove openings. Those gas torch cutting pops that land on biceps or arms weren’t fun, either. But, for a small burn that is not oozing or curled back, this might be a fast emergency technique if nothing else is handy.

In 1960, we were teenagers that just spent money to go to the dragstrip. Entrance fee, two pit passes, plus a dinner of hot dogs and Cokes from the famous Lions pits snack station…that was it for us. So, besides the awful looking burn on my bicep, going home was not an option.

Jnaki

Here is a post for an STP Oil Additive. back in 2016.

Hello,
    STP was a standard practice in our neck of the woods back in the early 60's. A lot of the local racers used it in their high performance cars on the street and at the drags. One can usually did the job per oil change. In our 292 SBC 671 motor, we used a can to keep everything running well. There was always a can handy. The following was inserted back in September in the wrenching thread:

"Hello,
    I keep looking at this scar on my right bicep. I know how that 1.5 inch scar got there, but I cannot believe I would do the same treatment that I did back then, today. This scar is the result of a nasty surface burn created by my bicep rubbing against an open header pipe on our Willys. I was reaching in over the fender to hold the starter on the SBC. My brother was underneath unbolting it to check out why it was sticking or clicking. I was the “man” in being able to hold up the starter under the hot exhaust pipes, but when my brother unloosened the last of the bolts, the starter dropped lower out of the hole. Needless to say, my bicep and arm flexed straight with the added weight. My bicep went right into the hot exhaust pipe until I let the starter drop lower with my brother’s help from below.

The skin was totally peeled back and it stung like there was no tomorrow. Since we had paid for the day at the drags, and our Willys was being prepped to continue racing, I was not going home or to a hospital for treatment. My brother said that I needed something on the wound as it would get infected. I was walking around in pain and to make myself feel better, I ate another one of those famous “Lions” hot dogs and had a Coke. My friends behind the counter all saw the burn and were about to gag at the sight of raw flesh oozing.

I went back to our part of the pits and was rummaging around in the trunk of our Impala. I found a can of STP motor oil. It had been used as an additive in our motor, so there was some left over. I decided to put some STP thick oil on my burn and immediately felt a soothing sensation on the burn. Of course I had to roll up my white t shirt sleeve to show off my biceps and to keep the oil off of my shirtsleeve. Ha!. For the rest of the afternoon and into the late night, the burn was not noticeable in the pain department.

I kept the STP on my burn wound all weekend and on Monday, I went to our family doctor. First, he was amazed at what was on the burn. Second, he commended me on my quick action to prevent infections on the wound. Somehow, the STP blocked out all air, dirt, and bacteria from getting into the open wound. Finally, he said never to do it again, but it was a great idea at the time.

The wound healed and left a 1.5 inch oval scar that has lasted over 50 years. A souvenir of my days at Lions, an actual battle scar from the racing days…"

Jnaki
    JNAKI, NOV 28, 2016 EDIT DELETE !REPORT! SHARE POST#90 + QUOTE REPLY
    upload_2017-10-8_5-5-2.png
    Hey JJ,
    What ever it was/is made of, it made my night at the drags memorable and while we were racing, I did not notice a thing. I am sure it looked funny because people saw a teenage kid walking around with a sleeve rolled up and STP on his bicep. When it got colder later, I had to put on a jacket, so I found a clean rag to wrap around it and slide it into the sleeve of the jacket. It was a conversation starter all of these years, but it is almost faded out. A 56 year reminder of racing at Lions.
    Thanks,
    Jnaki

JNAKI, NOV 29, 2016 EDIT DELETE !REPORT! SHARE POST#97 + QUOTE REPLY

JB_roadrage likes this.
  19. b-bob

b-bob

Vitamin E cream is great. May have the alo in it, i don't know. Have kept some around for twenty years for welding burns.

20. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

I second the vitamin E

21. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

Vitamin E absolutely works, poke a hole in the capsule and squeeze the oil onto the burn,
    eases the pain a little, and no scar after.....
    I have kept it around for 25 or 30 years also, great stuff......

LynnW

22. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

I know this is an old thread, but I'm surprised nobody mentioned honey..