Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heating your shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 Leadsled, Jan 4, 2010.

1. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

What do you guys use to heat your shops with?

2. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Propane. 1.79 a gallon. High of 10 today.

4. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I have a hang on the wall ventless propane heater and a 100# tank in the shop. just a salamander up in the garage to heat it up then a small propane heater to keep it warm plus well insulated

5. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

gas furnace and a kerosene jet blaster in our shop at work. it keeps it at a warm 50 and on a good day at 55.

6. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

Its called a hot dog heater. Works great

7. lorodz

lorodz

15000 btu bullet heater ..works great in a pop up tent..nice and toasty

8. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

The shop at the house I use a wood stove,and at work we have radiant heat tubes.

9. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Built a used oil burner..... Works good too skeched out to run it. Got some good coveralls.

10. swimeasy

swimeasy

This has been talked about before, but my future shop will have raidiant floor heat, it feels good to lay on. Right now (even in Texas) it's a bitch to work on the floor. I also want a lift, but thats another story! BTW, the Garage Journal (Yup, Ryan again) has a lot of good talk about this stuff.

11. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

hanging furnace that runs on natural gas. Radiant heat would be much nicer for when you need to paint.

12. ONAROLL

ONAROLL
    from Oklahoma

dont want to steal a thread, but no sense in a new one, can I burn Jet-A fuel in my bullet forced air heater to heat my shop?

13. hot a massive wood stove w forced air drAFT and burn wast oil in it too firepot is 350 gal barrel it heats a lot eats a lot of combustibles

this spring I am going to a used oil heater, a friend built it out of a oil space heater and it is as good as a factory oil heater will do that when it is warmer and easier to heat, looks like the bitter colds is back to the midwest:eek:

14. synthsis

synthsis

I just don't go in there during the winter.

15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have a wood stove . Gave $100 for it .

RetroJim

16. CayoRV

CayoRV

Old Duo-Therm Oil heater. This thing is about 3 ft square and 4 1/2 ft tall. Has a sort of carburetor on the back at the bottom. Fuel goes through an adjustable float bowl and flows into the bottom of the fire pot. Light the puddle and away we go! No electric required as it is a radiant type heater. I do use a small fan to help move the heat around the shop. Works great and will burn any type of fuel that will flow through the carb. I've used kerosene, diesel fuel, fuel oil, drain oil (thinned with kerosene) and recently set it up to start on diesel and switch over to used deep fryer oil I get from a friends bar/restaraunt! He pays to have it hauled away so I'm doing him a favor by taking it and I get free heat! Makes ya hungry though cause it smells like french fries a little bit.:eek:

17. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

Propane "Trash Can"
    200,000 Btu's, a little noisy, but better than freezing...
    [​IMG]

18. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I have a regular house style oil furnace and love it.
    Garage isn't insulated yet though so the heat goes out kinda quick.
    I need one more bundle of pink insulation and then the ceiling gets insulated which should help a lot. I'll be picking that up next week.
    I'll then do the walls as I pick up a bundle here and there.
    Oil is getting too expensive to just let the heat disappear!

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Torpedo 125,000 btu and then shut down and use the a big wick type kerosene heater ,I just love how Kero is more money than Gasoline ,It aint right .....

20. :rolleyes:I just close all the doors and run the cars until it's comfy...:p

lemondana likes this.
  21. CINCUENTA~TRES

CINCUENTA~TRES
    from BC, CANADA

Mr. Heater Propane furnace $450 form Northern Tool. They also sell a natural gas version as well. Very easy to install!

Cinc~

22. 1oldrat

1oldrat

wood/coal stove.

23. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Yes. When I was working as an A&P, every man in the hanger had his own little bullet heater. When we needed fuel for one, we just popped the lid off the closest wing and pumped jet fuel into the heater's tank.

24. barnescole

barnescole

reddy heater, loud as hell though. and to answer the above question, you can use jet-a in mine, but it says specifically on the heater. i use diesel mostly.

25. Wood stove. "He who burns wood gets warm twice". Cutting firewood is good exercise, too.

26. Wood, same as the house, stays toasty!

27. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

If I had a shop, I'd heat it with a heater. Right now the closest I have is jumping in the car when the cold wind picks up too bad.

28. 4ever18

4ever18

Electric Heatpump. A local HVAC guy was building a '57 Chevy and needed parts. I had the stuff he was needing. I did all the grunt work of the installation. He provided the units and materials. When I had everything installed, he sent one of his guys out to hook up the wires that I pulled, then charge and test the system. I had been using a Kerosene heater (expensive to use). My power bill only increased about $10 per month, plus my garage now has air conditioning (excellent during our hot, humid days).

29. Polara Pat

Polara Pat

After years of working on a wet frozen tarp in a low over-head carport with icy water dripping down the crack of my ass I finally built a garage this year with radiant in-floor heat and it's the best move I've ever made. I also insulated the crap out of the building since I live in the frosty North. I'm even inspired to work on annoying shitty jobs that I've been putting off for years. I highly recommend it and it's well worth the debt that I'll never pay off.

[​IMG]