Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical headlight relay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Aug 29, 2014.

1. I'm running a 'keep it clean' wiring harness and everything is great. Question is, about headlight relays. There is one relay integrated in the fuse box but not sure if it's for the horn or headlights. I'm running 2008 dot jeep wrangler headlight capsules in my 50 ford buckets which is a bolt on and gives me halogen lighting. Seems to work ok but i'm thinking they should be brighter. I don't know the amps of the bulbs. Would a seperate relay give more power for the headlights instead of a possible shared relay? I have no problems with anything as it's set up but not sure i'm maxing the headlight output. as you can see there is only one relay in the system.

Attached Files:

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You will need to install separate relays for both the high and low beam circuits. There are pre-made harnesses to retrofit, if you desire.

That existing one would be the horn relay.

Yes, they will provide brighter light, and save your not-so-common OEM headlight switch.

3. That's what i thought but wasn't sure. Why save the oem headlight switch. The higher amp draw too much for a regular aftermarket switch?

4. squirrel

squirrel

6v stuff runs at twice the current, for the same power load.....so the original switch is designed for a lot of current.

5. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

With the relay, the load isn't on the switch , its on the relay

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. The OEM switch will last longer than you will, carrying only the current necessary to operate a relay.

loudbang likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And is likely very old, already worn, and not so easy to find, if it fails on the road.

Sure, you may be able to order one, but do you want to wait until daybreak to go home, or ditch the car until then?

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Sylvania Silver Star headlights in my Jeep Cherokee overloaded the brand new, stock type switch, necessitating a relay setup. I put them in my '60 Falcon, and they overloaded the switch, too. Now that has relays, as well.

BOTH setups were appreciably brighter for it.

9. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Run a heavier gauge direct from the battery to the relay then good size wire to the headlights. Switch the relays with the original switch. That way you get no voltage loss and bright headlights. Some European cars run separate relays for each low-beam, So a problem won't leave you driving with no lights at all.

Ago

10. Thanks a lot guys, i'll have to look in to this. There was no mention of adding relays in the wiring instructions in the wiring kit. Which i thought was odd. I'll have to put a amp meter on the lights to see what i have right now. With what i have the lights are about the same as seal beams. Been driving like this for 2 summers now.
    The bulb is a stock jeep h-13 or 9008 with 65/55 watts can't find the amperage required yet

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

V x A = W

W ÷ V = A

65 ÷ 14.5 = 4.48 x 2 headlights = 8.96A

55 ÷ 14.5 = 3.79 x 2 headlights = 7.58A

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Assuming no resistance elsewhere.

13. Thanks , your very technical with wiring . You saved me a lot of leg work here. Appreciate you knowledge and time. Regards

14. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Is it a 6V or 12V system, believe your calculations are for a 12V and I thought he was talking about 6V? If it is, it will basically double the amperage, so around 18A & 16A

15. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Relay wiring diagram

Attached Files:

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The original poster is talking 12v, and so am I.

17. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

18. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Thanks for the correction. I saw 6V in the thread but not 12V. The diagram I posted can be easily modified to 12V system and the relays are much cheaper and available anywhere.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When he mentioned the modernn Jeep headlight buckets, I ran with 12.