Register now to get rid of these ads!

Headers for a 303" Olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldandkrusty, Jan 13, 2007.

1. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

A friend of mine is looking to build a set of headers for a 303" Olds and wants to do it "like they did it back in the day." The issue is Gary wants to build them with siamesed ports in the center so the headers have four pipes rather than three which was the way Olds made them. Does anybody know of a source that makes a header flange kit for the Olds with four pipes rather than three?

2. mecutem

mecutem

There is someone here on the HAMB that sells the header flanges. The way I see it the header flange can only be made to fit the ports. So it is up to the builder to figure how to attach whatever number of pipes to have it look and work right. Whats wrong with 3 pipes? I made a header a while back and used a larger pipe for the center port. 2 1/4 inches maybe on the center. 1 7/8 front and back ports. If you have someone to cut you some plates I can send you one of mine to use a a template/pattern and then send it back to me. The port size in mine is matched to the 56 ports if I remember correctly. Steve

3. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

i like steve's idea. thanks man. i really like the look of the 3. :confused:

4. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

mecutem, as I said this is a problem my friend is wrestling with. He wants to have four pipes and not the three that would be used on the early Olds. I really don't know why, but said I would try to help him find the solution here on the HAMB. My memory is telling me that Ed's Headers of Minneapolis, MN may have something. However, I can't seem to find any contact info on them. Does anybody know if they are even in business anymore?

5. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

hey maybe not much help but i remember welding a partition in the heads to split the ports back in the early 60's and using 4 tubes for dragster motor. Have not seen early olds head tho in over 40 yrs
    Ken

6. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

I have some flanges that are for a 324, but will work for a 303, the port size is just a little bit bigger. It might help to have a bigger port size if your friend is trying to use four pipes instead of 3.
    Jimmy White

7. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I just got rid of a set of old school headers that i had set aside to use then misplaced them (forgot i actually had them...note: PACK RAT nickname...) and ended up geting rid of the motor...Now i need them again....lol

8. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Kenagain, thanks for the proper website for "Headers by Ed". That's definitely the guy I used for 425" nailhead over 30 years ago!!!

hemi coupe, I'll pass along your observation about the 303" and 324" being very similar which may be of help as you suggest.

Tom, you should know better than to EVER get rid of something from your garage. You just know you WILL need it very soon after it is gone.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

9. MilesM

MilesM

10. 55olds88

55olds88

3 pipes look nicer in my opinion, look how many really good looking Flat motor set ups you see.....