Register now to get rid of these ads!

Header repair/epoxy question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, May 11, 2012.

  1. Has anyone tried Loctite 95724 2000 deg epoxy for header repair.

    [​IMG]

    or this:

    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BLUE-MAGIC-Metal-Repair-1MPX3?cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

    I had to modify some headers I bought and they're leaking a little bit. They're leaking on the inside of collector where the little plus piece of metal is and I can't get anything in there to weld it. I thought I got it all by melting rods in there and pushing the puddle with the torch. Now they're coated and leaking, so I would rather try this if it works for pin holes and not have to burn off the coating and try to re weld.
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. 31Vicky with a hemi
    Joined: Nov 11, 2008
    Posts: 12,695

    31Vicky with a hemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

    Can't you weld that from inside the collector ?

    Never tried that stuff.
     
  3. The collector is about 3-4" long and necks down pretty good. I was using a light inside to make sure I got it all, but I guess I didn't. I'm trying to save the coating if I can. The picture above is the area it's leaking from, but the leak itself is barely bigger then a pin hole.
     
  4. Blue One
    Joined: Feb 6, 2010
    Posts: 4,127

    Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

    That picture is really confusing and has me wondering just what am I looking at :confused:

    There appears to be an open pipe in the picture to the right ??
     
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

  5. 31Vicky with a hemi
    Joined: Nov 11, 2008
    Posts: 12,695

    31Vicky with a hemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

    X 2

    I was thinking about this some more.

    There should a " star " welded to the center of all 4 pipes, that seals the centers where you can't weld it to the collector. That's inside the collector. The better ones come to a point, the cheaper ones are flat. Then the collector is swaged on the pipes for a tight leak proof joint and then welded. You should be able to get in there and weld it with a straight tip torch or straight neck MIG gun.

    This pic looks like the collector is flush with the pipes, 1 star and 4 irregular triangles. That setup needs to be welded and still likely to fail/ break the welds.

    If you have the pipe out of the collector now, how are you going to keep it in without welding it. Also if one is out, can you get the others out, make your repairs and put it back together ?

    That epoxy is worth a shot and doesn't doing like you have much to loose by trying
     
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  6. tommy
    Joined: Mar 3, 2001
    Posts: 14,742

    tommy
    Member

    weld it up and hit it with a spray bomb. It will look much better than a repair of built up epoxy. I hate the exhaust repair shit that they used to sell. I'd alway charge more for the repair if they cobbled it all up with some kind of quick fix epoxy shit. Fix it right and be done with it.
     
  7. Screamin' Metal
    Joined: Feb 1, 2009
    Posts: 506

    Screamin' Metal
    Member
    from Oklahoma

    Hahaha....I like that one Vicky!
    Crack in headers? Whats wrong with just welding it? If its too thin, it makes for some good pratice.:D
     
  8. Screamin' Metal
    Joined: Feb 1, 2009
    Posts: 506

    Screamin' Metal
    Member
    from Oklahoma

    You'd be surprised what some determination and a good MIG will accomplish!
     
  9. Screamin' Metal
    Joined: Feb 1, 2009
    Posts: 506

    Screamin' Metal
    Member
    from Oklahoma

    Oh, and the right wire and the right polarity!
     
  10. The picture I posted was when it was apart, just trying to show the area where it's leaking (hard to see now). It's all welded up and coated now, got about 99% of the inside where the star is with a tig and I tried to get the other 1% with a torch. I used a flashlight to find any leaks and I though I got them all.

    I guess I can try the stuff, if it doesn't work I have to burn off the coating anyhow. At least I'll know if it's the only leak or not.
     

    Attached Files:

  11. TexasHardcore
    Joined: May 30, 2003
    Posts: 4,724

    TexasHardcore
    Member

    lop the collector off between the flange and the primaries and weld it up from the inside, then weld the collector back together.
     

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!

Archive

Copyright © 1995-2013 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.