Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has the like button spoilt the hamb ???

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by langy, May 27, 2015.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I can't help thinking the like button has killed a lot of conversation on here ???
    Once someone would comment and this would turn into a good conversation but these days it don't seem to happen because people just press the button and that's it !!!
    What do ya reckon ?

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess what I just did?

3. There may be some truth to that, Steve, but I think if someone has something constructive to say they will still comment even after hitting the "like" button.

Muttley, HEMI32, 49ratfink and 4 others like this.
  4. To make you sluts happy, I just whacked the like button 3X in a row....

5. .............................There went my theory about something constructive to say.:D:eek:

6. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Is that what you young kids are calling that these days?

7. I think people who feel the need to comment on something will, regardless of a "Like" button. For others its an easy way to register your approval with spending a lot of time going into detail....Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

kiwijeff, i.rant, HEMI32 and 5 others like this.
  8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I just can't help noticing that when the button appeared the conversation sort of dried up. The "how did you do that" questions don't seem to get asked these days, perhaps everyone knows these days !!!
    I also noticed a lot of the prolific posters seemed to disappear, wonder where they went ?
    I used enjoy the banter even though sometimes it went o/t, these days it seems to have gone very serious and the fun seems to have subsided ?

9. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Seems to make it very staid to me 8-(

10. At first I was thinking its threads like this......buuuut, you actually have a valid point! I use the like button, I think folks like to see their creative efforts are appreciated. Before the like button, I probably would have stated so in writing, so yup, you have a valid point.

11. ................................That is true, but it seems they've always come and gone....and then maybe returned, or not. Folks get involved in other distractions (life, etc.). I guess like with everything, change is inevitable. Keep having fun!:)

49ratfink and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I guess folks run out of things to say maybe ?

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Dude, have you read the HAMB lately? It kind of rules....

Hot Rods - IT'S ALL DOWN HILL FROM HERE!Hot Rods

Event Coverage - Live from Santa Maria...West Coast KustomsEvent Coverage

Cody Walls builds a 35 Chevy

History - The Bill Breece Coupe

Projects - Model A Late 50s Traditional/SurvivorProjects

Projects - Almost ready for paint.Projects

1929 Ford Roadster AV8 Traditional Hot Rod

And that's just what I found on page 1... Point being, if you think the hamb sucks right now, you are on the wrong forum. This is a new "golden era" to me... The forum feels smaller, it's more personal, it super focused, and the content is absolutely fucking ruling.

14. I "like" the like button. I used to hate seeing 300 posts going "X-2"-"X-300". If I don't have anything to add to some good info that someone posted, its a good way to say "this guy nailed it" without having to clutter up the board.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe I should take that as a hint, but I'm with Steve here---
    I must be getting old because I don't quite get the whole "like" thing, it must be the Facebook generation or something. Speaking of getting old; does anybody remember the S&H Green Stamp deal from the 60's, (maybe only USA) that's the first thing I thought of when trying to see the value in the "like" button. When you filled up your book, you could redeem it for any number of things, from blenders to battery chargers.
    Decal, HAMB plaque, shift knob, Hint, Hint maybe Ryan's listening.
    When I first got here, I kinda got annoyed by those red alerts, especially the "like" alerts, but after a while I began to really look forward to the "quote" alerts, seemed so much more genuine that someone took the time to respond to your post, doesn't matter whether they agree or not just seems to carry a little more weight with me, for what that's worth.
    Not to sound like a whiner here because I really love this place and what it stands for, and Ryan did say that complaints are a good thing.
    There's an old saying; it says "there's an ass for every seat" I've found the seat that fits me here on the HAMB.

16. This. Threads may have seemed longer but half of the posts were one or two word responses like nice or good work. For me the like button means I don't have to scroll past a hundred attaboy posts to get to something meaningful. I highly doubt that people are not asking how something was done because there is a like button now.

17. Have you noticed no one likes this post? :D HRP

X38 and prewarcars4me like this.
  18. Personally,I use the like button and as many times as I do I also post on any given thread.

As Ryan pointed out there are a lot of great threads posted and the response they get from me will generally be both,mostly because I respect the poster and I totally agree whit his thoughts. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

The "Like" deal is for younger people, me, I'm thinking about getting my first cell phone. Could come in handy finding my wife at Hershey or the LA Roadster Show. Bob

gwhite likes this.
  20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ryan not once have I said the hamb sucks, I'm just referring to the like button and how in my opinion it's killed the conversation side of things, if your reading anything else into my posting your very wrong mate.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

All good brother.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like the like button, especially on the Friday Art show which is half the size it used to be because before you had to look at all the photos 5 times from people bumping the pic and commenting. now you can just like the pic, the artist gets his "thumbs up" and the thread does not get out of control repeating itself.

kiwijeff, HEMI32 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. I'm gonna comment and say "yup"

57 Fargo likes this.
  24. I had not noticed the "like" button . I may use that when I find something interesting but don't want to clutter a thread with "wow" , "cool" or "hey I might try that !" . I don't see it as a generational thing - my generation has "Boomer" in it's name .

25. Well it ain't generational, I'm 74. Why say the same ten, twenty or thirty ways ?? I only hit like if I am in full agreement.

lothiandon1940 and prewarcars4me like this.
  26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Maybe instead of "like" for us in the good old U.S.A. we have a button that says "Langy" for our friends Just North of London and fellow Mates in the U.K.
    What do you think Steve ?
    Would your fellow Mates like that ?
    Might make "Langy" famous ! :D

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've noticed that too, seems no matter how much a person "walks on egg shells" you still find people reading between the lines just to slam you.
    Careful, it could go to his head.
    BTW Steve we could stand some updates.

28. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I find the like button useful when I agree with or like a post but have nothing useful to say. I also like receiving comments and questions on my build thread but a like is always appreciated at least I know someone has taken a look at the post and wanted to let me know they found some value in it.

i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. Muttley

Muttley

Enough with the crazy talk mister.

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I wish I hadn't asked now, my post seems to been taken completely out of context .

Mods please remove as there was no intention to cause any trouble