Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Has Stockton wheel improved their service?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aribert, Jul 18, 2014.

1. aribert

aribert

5 to 10 years ago Stockton Wheel's reputation sucked. So I had Ralley America build up a pair of 15 x 6 wheels using my Falcon 14 inch ctrs. They did a good job, wheels are on the car, car is sitting out in the parking lot. Went back to Ralley America to make two more - they have manufacturing issues at the moment and will not be able to do these in the forseeable future. When I spoke w/ Jimmy (wheelkid) and asked who elso might be able to build me a set of wheels w/ the deep drop hoops, he mentioned that Stockton might be able to. So, does anyone have any ***recent*** experience w/ Stockton on building custom wheels?

2. aribert

aribert

BTT: Anyone willing to admit they used them in the last two or three years for custom wheels? Your experience?

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

You might also ask for references on Wheel Vintiques and Wheelsmith, as they are all California companies doing the same sort of stuff. I've been a happy customer of Rally America for a number of years, so I don't have any experience with any of the other guys.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wrenchin hobo likes this.

5. pila38

pila38

I talked to Jimmy last week, and steel wheels will not be coming from Rally America for a while. I went with Wheel Vintiques because their series 64 wheels still have the vent holes. However, while they will do custom backspace, they were not able to adjust the center bore measurement for me so I will have to go to a machine shop to get that done. I don't know about WV doing custom work for you. Can't help you out with Stockton. I really liked their Milner wheel, but heard so many horror stories I avoided them like the plague.

6. I had a great experience with wheelsmith. Fwiw

7. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Last I heard the owner died about 2-3 years ago and the business was closed....................I just checked the phone book, Cruzin'news,CG Gazette and there are no listing for Stockton wheeel........

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Wheelsmith period!

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

stocktonwheel.com

10. Dave did pass!

11. Well, from that looks like they are still going strong.
    -Pat

12. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

13. horace urrey

horace urrey

I recntly used marsh racing tire out of arkansas they had the parts I needed they are on the net look them up if nothing else works out

14. so I know this thread dates back to July 2014, It's the latest thread I could find on Stockton. I spoke to them on the phone , sent a email with my request to what I wanted done . Received replies back from them pretty fast. I looked over their Milners on the website and they looked great... read a few different thread regarding Stockton Wheel. Milners are about 4-6 weeks out from Rick the sales person on the phone said. Read a lot of bad, and some good... Has anyone done business with them in the last 5 months. Ready to spend the dollars, and I expect to receive a sales order from them tomorrow... Thank you

15. aribert

aribert

I started this thread - after Ralley America suffered their shop burning due to a brush fire. I had received the first two 15x6 wheels built with my 14 inch centers for my Falcon from Ralley and was ready for them to make the next two when their shop burned. I got a quote from Stockton but I just did not want to risk having a major issue. I ended up buying the deep drop rims from Ralley, modifying the wheel centers and building the wheels myself. My lathe only swings 12 inches and the modified wheel centers need to swing about 12.38 so I used my mill with a rotary table (until I destroyed the Chinese Rotab - that set me back $400 to replace) to turn the built up wheel centers. So it would have been less expensive to use Stockton even if they jacked me around on price after getting the work.

The upside is that I was able to machine the wheel centers w/ a taper on the edge and get the offset **exactly** where I wanted it - the two wheels from Ralley will need to be used with a 5/16 or 3/8 spacer in the front to clear the control arm/ball joint.

16. Thanks for getting back to us with an update.

17. Rob, If you decide to go with them please keep us updated on how you make out. I bought a set of wheels from them about 6 years ago.
    -Pat

18. J'LO.217

J'LO.217

I'm curious of the outcome also. I'm in need of a set of 15x7 small Ford bolt pattern with a full reverse offset. I got my last set from Rally America and they were great, but now that they are not doing steel wheels I'm not sure who to go to.

19. got my last set from Rallye America, they were great... to bad about the shop fire... So I received my sale order this morning via email.. They need to correct the sales order... from 15 x 4.5 to 15 x 5 as I requested. I'm waiting for a reply back and a revised sales order with the correct rims on it.

20. I will keep everyone posted, on how things turn out .. Sales order was O.K. , didn't have my glasses on and I was reading it wrong... So all good on that front.. Have had very good emails back and forth. I spoke to Rick there, and he was going to talk to the inventory person on Monday. I have been given a 4-6 week turn around. He also said he would confirm this and would let me know on Monday... So I will follow up .. I gave him my payment information... per Stockton they will not charge me till the wheels are done... I will watch my statement... so here we go...

21. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

There used to be a company in Oneida ,Alabama that did wheel center swaps. Do any of our Heart of Dixie state know if they still do.

22. Did you mention to Stockton that you would be reporting their performance on the H.A.M.B.? It might be worth it!!

Cosmo

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

24. I let him know what I heard and read about there company.. He's aware that I'm keeping tabs on how this plays out and expect 4-6 week wait period unless what he tells me Monday... so will see how things go... I keep you all posted

25. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Is Rally America out of the steel wheel biz altogether, or is it just temporary until they're back up to speed? It would be a great shame if they quit it, as they were a great resource.

26. not sure on Rally America at this time, they were only doing wire wheels at this time. I wasn't given a date
    to when they were going to be able to be back at full service... So the ball is rolling (er maybe wheel would be better) on the order has been placed to Stockton .. they are saying 4-6 weeks ...

27. ok here is a update, I have been emailing back and forth with Rick @ Stockton Wheel about updates on my wheels. He has got back to me every time with in the same day or next.. I received a call from Rick(2/20) (left a voice mail on my home phone also) on my cell.. He had some good news and bad(maybe not that bad).. He had almost all four wheels finished and ready to ship. His assembly guy noticed one center had pretty bad scratch to the chrome... so it's going back to have it fixed(rechromed) .. So its been just about four weeks since I placed my order, and maybe a extra week to get the damaged wheel back... so far pretty happy with all the communication from Stockton and eta of the order I placed.. I was even sent pictures of my three rims, and Rick sent a picture of the damaged wheel...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for update

29. Good now lets all hope they get the job finished and shipped. I bought a set of wheels off of them in 08 and they did a great job on them and shipped quickly. I do hope they are back up to speed. And thanks for the update Rob. :)
    -Pat

30. Looking to have 2 Compomotive Wheels narrowed, all on the backside. These look like the ones used on Cobra's
    WheelsAmerica was mentioned I'd be using the SanFrancisco location.
    Does anyone have any comment or/ a review of their work? This is a picture of my wheels they are 2 piece. Compomotive3.JPG

Movin/on