Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anyone ever seen this Ford F100 power steering conversion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratrod37, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

I took this off an old 50's F100 front end I bought years ago. I want to sell it but was wondering if anyone here ever saw this before. It is very well built and I was just curious if it was a kit or if someone made it. It looks like the power steering components are from a late 60's mustang. The piston clamps to the axle and the other end clamps to the drag link. What's nice about it is that you don't have to alter anything, just bolt it on.

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure that the parts originated on a 60's Ford of some sort. I think way way back around the origin of Truckin magazine there was something on doing a conversion like that but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it at the time.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That was a common method of installing power steering without going with a power box. The 50s-60s power-assisted steering components worked well for that and were then replaced by the modern power box as rodders became more sophisticated in their borrowing from Detroit.

4. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

It may have been from a Mustang as you said, or 60-70's Ford 4x4 truck, as alot of them had something like that.

5. finn

finn

Pretty sure there was a factory PS option W/ linkage assist PS unit, which is probably what you found, on the late 50s pickups. I've never seen one but come upon references to it quite frequently.

Ford used the linkage assist until '65 on big cars, '71 on Mustangs, & '72 on intermediate cars.

6. That sure looks like late 50's early 60's F100 factory power steering set-up. Looking at the riser blocks for the ram assist and the pitman arm. From my understanding PS was offered on 4x4's only and is kind of rare if you find a set-up. I did see a 1960 Ford F250 4x4 with factory PS.

7. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

The control valve looks exactly the same as the late 60's mustang control valves. I want to sell it but I would like to know more about it so I don't mislead anyone. I thought it was homemade till I took the block off that clamps to the axle and it has a tapered hole, I don't think anyone did it in their garage. I'm seriously cleaning the garage so I can build my 32 that I bought 31 years ago. I think I waited long enuf.
    Heres a pic of the other side.
    ******I SOLD THE POWER STEERING ASSY TO A HAMB MEMBER******
    Thanks' HAMB

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It was used until 77 on Mavericks. They never got an integral power box.

9. FTF

FTF

I'll take this off your hands, PM me price etc.

10. TRINITYAUTO

TRINITYAUTO

11. TRINITYAUTO

TRINITYAUTO

Looks like a "power assist" unit, CPP sold one, maybe Home made, loos nice, What did it come off of??

12. TRINITYAUTO

TRINITYAUTO

PM me a price.....

13. kevet

kevet

HI

I know this is an old post but do you still have it?
    thanks,'
    Kev
    [email protected]