Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harvey's Broiler Razed Illegally!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Jan 8, 2007.

1. This is terrible!!! We must get as many of us together for a last cruise there. SOON! Get a picture of as many cars as we can and send the city counsel a shot of all of us holding money out of our windows. Money that could spent in Downey.

I have been to more that a couple of fund raisers to save the Broiler. That they did this under covere of night is the shits. Defines the word: Villian.

CP

2. eric

eric

CHILI PHIL, car cruise sounds about right!!! maybe the Tuesday night get together that Bad BoB does can move over to Downey this week???? either way i bet if some one posts some flyers you can get a BIG turn out from the Kustom crowd, the Lowrider crowd and the general public cause the community grew up with it, it's a downey ICON. such a bummer. i drove right past it friday night and was like WTF??? what happened to all the cars in the lot and inside resturaunt???? i had no idea this dildo was going to try and level the place!! i'll try to stop by after work and get some pics, i kinda want to see it for myself.

3. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

the owner is actually super fucked. he broke at least 14 laws and had no permits to do anything to the building landmark or not. from what I heard from my buddy who works for the city of Downey that it was the owner and some guy in a bulldozer, no flagmen, no cones, no concern for the saftey of others...

I just want to know what the city is going to do with it now that it is 1/2 torn down... I think because it is now a hazard to the public, they will bulldoze the rest.

4. HeyMang

HeyMang

I drove by years ago and thought it would be cool to bring some cars over there. A few weeks later it was empty and a little bit after that it was a f'in used car lot. Who stacks Tahoes and Expeditions into a historic building?

It looks premeditated. I am thoroughly bummed out.

5. Yep, I think an intervention is in order here.

6. Burny

Burny

Man, This sucks. I remember hearing about the legal problems a few years back. Same thing happenned here in LB. They tore down Java lanes (and Kona in Costa Mesa), one of the coolest Googie style joints around. It also happenned to have one of the few live music venues left in town- Di Piazzas lounge. And for what? Fucking condos! This sucks. What a bunch of fuckin closed minded losers. A landmark torn down for a parking lot! I'm pissed.

7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

BTTT.

Chili Phil, PM if you want to do the cruise,
    Kevin

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  8. NoSurf

NoSurf

9. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Sorry, but one cruise night a week doesn't pay the bills. Money talks when it comes to real estate in L.A.. There are places like this all over L.A. county but all the unchecked growth is gonna make the city and county one big apartment building. To all the new residents of L.A. they have no history here so they don't give a shit. Enjoy it while you can! Plus you can bet someone on the city council is getting a little grease so don't waste your time. I've seen it happen. Maybe the owner is selling the land to Wal-Mart! -stick

10. I'd give anything to go back & spend a year in LA - no '40's or '50's dreams for me though. I'd probably choose something around 1962-1964.

Wouldn't that be a blast.............

JH

11. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

What is the area like these days as far as crime, etc...
    I remember reading that alot of the areas that were popular back in the day are now in some of the worst areas of LA.
    Like everyone has said, this was premeditated. Now it will have to come down, since nobody is going to want it now.
    It's like all the cars we all bitch about the old timer hanging onto until it's junk...unless somebody actually stepped up with a large amount of cash, the without a doubt was going to be the end result.
    We have a place called Porky's here in St. Paul that is just biding it's time until the city kills it. Sad part is, it was closed for many years, then was restored when the city was after it the first time. For a while it was all that was keeping anyone coming to the area. Then it became a trendy area, and all the old closed up dealerships where tore down for condos, and now Porky's is doomed aganin because it brings in the "Wrong element" to the area, and causes to much congestion.

12. String the bastard up.......ANYBODY THAT TRIES TO DESTROY OUR AMERICAN HISTORY.........YEAH NAIL HIS ASS.............THIS PLACE HAS SO MUCH GOING FOR IT i CANT BELIEVE THIS SHIT!Now if the city of downey has ANY balls they would make him restore it or do time

13. plan9

plan9

i use to drive by there on a regular basis when i lived in huntington park/south gate, born and raised in NorCal i didnt realise it had that much history... i knew it had to have been a popular spot long ago. that is fuckin gay

depends on where you go... downey isnt as bad as watts or certain places in compton. bell, bellflower, downey, santa fe springs, parts of long beach are all working class neighborhoods... crime is everywhere here. skidrow in downtown and the avenues near downtown are pretty bad, ... looks like a warzone out there.

lots of hot rod/custom/lowrider history in south LA

14. EMAIL the mayor of Downey...everybody needs to hop on this one! her name is Meridith Perkins email is [email protected] or the mayor pro-tem [email protected] We cant let the shit just lay here..dont just bitch about it step-up and do some thing.remember ya kinda got be polite......BUT FIRM.good luck the mayors email kicks back---try the mayor pro-tem.,good luck so-cal

15. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Why is it when there's a post about some irate neighbor getting the city to come down hard on a hotrodder about his/her's private property everyone on the board screams: "go next door and kill the motherfucker and the city council!!" But when someone does something on his private property like this everyone screams: "Go tell the city.":D "OUR AMERICAN HISTORY.." it's a greasy spoon for christsake! -stick

16. slammed

slammed

Need to hire a really good ($!) Private eye, dig the dirt on the 'guilty' and do them the same way. Underhanded, and destructive.

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The vast majority of Americans don't give a shit about Americana, the cars, the architecture, the music, the clothes, they just don't fucking care. I blame it on ignorance brought on by lack of education. They don't even know what they're looking at, they can't tell authentic from fake. This sucks more than I can express, I'm deeply angered.

They're knocking down an old Kane furniture store in Orlando very soon, it was an amazing piece of work, thank God someone saw fit to rescue the enormous Sputnik chandeliers inside. It will be replace by some fascsimile of a 'village' a faux shopping center that evokes small town living in a city of one million people.....yeah right.

Developers + money = the destruction of treasured icons.

18. ragtop35

ragtop35

This is a sad day. A big part of California Car History is gone or soon to be. I used to cruise Harvey's back in the 60's. That's where the cool cars were. Later in the 80's, it had become Johnnies Broiler and a local promotor, Lee McCulloch was having a weekly cruise night there. They used to fill the lot every week. I have many pictures parked under the canopy. One night the original Harvey came by and had my picture taken with him. Still hangs on the wall in my office. Back then we had Bob's, Hodie's, Oscar's and The Clock. Harvey's Broiler was the place. Anyone as old as me (or heard the stories from you Grandpa)around that remembers Scrivners drive-in where Art Laboe used to broadcast live and take dedications from you car. Them were the days.

19. plan9

plan9

what, are ya sum kinduh lefty commie pinko fascistimilie?!

ENEMA OF FREEDOMS YOU ARE!

;)

20. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Better RED than dead! I say!!:D

21. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

So sad. Once when the folks and friends got bored we started in Orange and cruised up to this spot then over to Frisco's. I think I was only about 10-14 at the time but what an impression talking to everyone about these historic places.

Everyone in California, well not everyone, but a majority have no apprecation for our pasts. I work in an industry that happens to deal with houses daily and I can tell you, they'd rather tear one down than try to renovate it. "Its old and ugly." All these people say, well I say they're old and ugly on the inside! They never see what it could be, just what it is now. Like my neighbor who told my dad, "Just get rid of that old thing." reguarding the car he built for me. He said under his breath "how bout we get rid of you!"

22. quite simple.just like our cars ...many buildings are also a part of who we are and how we got here........new aint always better!

23. Sorry to say I never saw the place before it was converted to rubble. Many places in CA that have "history" are being torn down to make way for strip malls or Wal-Mart's...it is what it is. The end result of the carnage in this situation will most likely be a large fine and that's about it, it will not be rebuilt.

24. studhud

studhud

This crap makes me soo bummed out:( Similar thing in my town Happened I had a high school friend buy a really old A&W here in San Rafael Ca wasnt as old or cool as the place in those pics but it was our hang out! They had waitress' on skates, a stage in the corner of the parking lot for bands it needed work but was still cool. The food was good. All kinds of people hung out there the place had old cars all the time. Well Erik the owner decided to sell it so it got knocked down and a javadetour drive through was put in. I guess people dont appreciate history they just want new and fancy crap:mad: LTR Dave

25. They just took down the orange 76 ball 3 blocks from my house today. Not quite Harveys broiler but I'm gonna miss it.

26. FASI

FASI

To some of the above posters, do you ever consider, in using your choice of words, that some VERY young hot rod enthusiasts including females read the HAMB and must wonder if what they are reading is the norm for hot rodders. I agree with being angry at the destruction of this landmark, but there is a classy way to vent it in public.

27. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Fuck censorship.

28. Breaks my heart to post this…

So sad. :-(

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

That is a sad sight.

30. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Maybe they'll recreate it at Disney's California Adventure. Like they did Hollywood Blvd.:D You know, can't have the real thing being a public eyesore! -stick