Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Harmon & Collins rotor possibly to be reproduced

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 41FordSuperDeluxe, Oct 24, 2013.

1. DzusFast

DzusFast
    from Nevada

Ronnie I hope you found the MAG rotor you needed, and my reply to you back in May last year was helpful!

2. Any word on the center section progress?

3. DzusFast

DzusFast
    from Nevada

Ah yes, the item I 'promised' by X-mas '04....... sorry to those waiting, it was delayed but I'm back on it trying to match the color of the bakelite and get a decent price on the brass castings needed for the mold to produce it now. I super hope to have the first ones done within 2~3 months.

41FordSuperDeluxe likes this.
  4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Joe, glad to see you back on the HAMB! Keep the faith, Gary:)

5. Joe your rotor is Excellant and on my 1400 H&C dizzy - but I would like to get 2 mid sections when they are ready

Best to you and thanks for your efforts
    John

6. DzusFast

DzusFast
    from Nevada

Have some friends wanting me to do some of the internals: 4 lobe cam etc...

I have made a few more rotors if anyone needs some and I am trying hard to finish up the centercaps now. It is difficult (and expensive) with bakelite; want to match the color as close as possible.

Hope everyone who bought my rotors are enjoying them! 2 people gave me a $40 deposit for the centercap~ I must make it;)
    Thought I would 'bump' the thread and let people know where I'm at with the caps!

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sounds Good, keep the fire burning-------Gary:D:rolleyes:

8. DzusFast

DzusFast
    from Nevada

BTW Gary, should be getting your new Center Cap Friday! they fit nice and should easily keep you on the road for a while running good ;)

cntrCap4.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Thanks Joe! Will let you know when it gets here! Gary

10. DzusFast

DzusFast
    from Nevada

Thanks for the PM Gary, I'm glad you're happy with it.

I've sold a total of 9 so far....... I have more if anyone needs one get them while I have them!

11. DzusFast

DzusFast
    from Nevada

For those needing the centercaps, I have a new small batch finished. To the people I promised them to, PM me and I'll get them out asap!

Thanks for the support :)

12. DzusFast

DzusFast
    from Nevada

For those still wanting to get the centercap/intermediate cap(Plate) for the H&C dual coil dizzy, I won't be making them for a while. I only sold 2 from this last batch so get um while I got um...

o_O

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Woodie

Woodie

I have both ( rotor and the 2nd coil adapter ring ) installed on my Engine and would like to hear from anyone that has installed these on a running Engine. Your comments or evaluation of these two units. I have experienced some ignition problems lately and would like to rule these two units out.

14. DzusFast

DzusFast
    from Nevada

I received your Intermediate (Centercap) Cap return, inspected the problem, and shipped out a replacement for you :)

First, Thanks Woodie for bringing it to my attention. You were amongst 5 people in my first batch I shipped out in a panic, trying to get those HotRodders back on the road, and hadn't thoroughly inspected prior to shipping. (Your the hero here ;) you must have drawn the short straw... lol my apologies.

I'm posting pictures and a descriptive explanation to help others understand what to look for, the cause, effect, and solution:
    The cause is in temperature variations during the mold process. 200LBs. of billet steel needs preheating prior to injecting very high temp Bakelite and then a waiting process (Cooling down evenly) staring at a stopwatch 10 minutes for each piece before exposing it to ambient air; (My rotors only took 4 minutes!) split the mold too quick and the result is hairline cracks.... too slow and the machine clogs up and have to spend 2 hours re-tooling it and repeat until everything's running smooth, cool down's timed right - kinda like baking a pound cake in a french oven I guess. Anyway, before installing always inspect for cracks please. In Woodie's case, he had a crack from the primary screw hole to 1 of 4 pin holes that support the top ring in position during manufacturing. Because the steel wasn't at the correct temp yet, the outside of the part cooled quicker than the inside leaving 'EXTERNAL VISUAL CRACKS' noticable in my pictures so please inspect before installing.

NOTE:
    I now use JB Weld (Kwick) to insulate the 4 holes from "Leaking" high voltage secondary electricity. For any naysayers, JB-weld does not conduct electricy!!! I use it in building circuits and never have had ANY issues :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Runnin shine and RICH B like this.
  15. Woodie

Woodie

This is an interesting find, and cause. My "Crew Chief" found the crack and cause for the short, which instantly had us running on (4) cyl's. We did not see the cracks. In the meantime we installed the original "H & C" "Center Cap" and were back running on all (8) eight This involved a lot of very difficult and frustrating trouble shooting on our part to find out where our other (4) four cyl's went. Glad that you were able to find the source and correct it. Previous posts on this subject will show that we were determined to run this ignition system ( "H & C') and now should be able to enjoy our ride. Appreciate your follow up and efforts to make this right.!! We Thank You.!!
    Steve & Patty.

16. DzusFast

DzusFast
    from Nevada

By looking at the Width of the trace short (1st Pic) from the pinhole to the primary lead, and me knowing the temperatures necessary creatingsuch a trace that the Harman Collins "SPARK" produced, I'd say we have empirical evidence proving an extremely long (dwell), and very strong & hot spark. In my near 40 years some as a line mechanic I've seen many distributor caps with trace shorts but never have any showed signs of melting or exploding away the material! there was even carbon brush material transfer in 4 evenly spaced areas on the top brass ring! I was amazed when I inspected it.

Summing it up, H&C is definitely a distributor of choice, and a criminal act if lost in time..... my 2 cents anyway :cool:

Runnin shine likes this.
  17. DzusFast

DzusFast
    from Nevada

[​IMG]

So, I got an order for ONE centercap the other day -- out of the blue, and found only TWO usable , inspected them adding the epoxy to ensure no problems but it got real serious real fast.

Only ONE centercap left. Thought I'd share this with the community.

18. Crappy37

Crappy37

Any left?

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't receive a reply (this is an old thread), I'd PM or email him.

20. Woodie

Woodie

H & C Reproduction parts.JPG H & C Reproduction parts # 2.JPG

21. 37_Ford

37_Ford
    from Illinois

I have been using the Replacement rotor and the second coil adapter on two H&C 1400 distributors for the last three years with no issues. See my avatar. One is on a blown flathead with over fifteen thousand miles the last three years. I am using vintage Blue Streak 12 volt coils and .36 mfd magneto capacitors and aircraft magneto points. On a third unit, I had arc tracing issues. I drilled the adapter plate where the arching was and covered the area with JB weld ( as stated in previous posts) and had no further issues. I set them up on a Sun Distributor machine and ran them at Over 6000rpm with no point bounce or ignition cutouts.

Runnin shine likes this.
  22. Woodie

Woodie

This is the kind of information that I am looking for. My first experience with these was not good, and that's why I am looking for feedback from someone that has installed them and is happy with their performance. Obliviously, your use of these has been a success.! Thank You for the reply.

23. 37_Ford

37_Ford
    from Illinois

There was a crack on the inside (see white line) that allowed the spark to jump to the terminal connection (see red line). I routed out the crack with a dremel bit and covered with JB weld. The repair fixed the issue. I carry this as a spare now.

upload_2020-11-17_18-13-33.jpeg

Max Gearhead likes this.