Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

Hardware suggestions ---torque converter/flex plate bolts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Missing Link, May 28, 2005.

1. Missing Link

Missing Link

I hate to ask simple questions on here but I have been searching for hours and have found nothing.

I need to know what size and grade bolts are used to attach the flexplate to the crank and the torque converter to the flex plate.

The application is a 350 Chevy motor and a TH350 Chevy trans. The motor has a one piece rear main seal. The crank looks to be a 3" bolt circle for the flex plate. It is an externally balanced flex plate, 168 tooph. I have not dealt with this type of set up for many years and have lost all knowledge.

I understand that the flexplate bolts to the crank and the torque converter bolts to the flexplate. Well at least I think I understand that...it makes "sense" to me but I have been known to be a real dumb ass on occasion.

I believe that there needs to be 1/16" to 1/8" clearance between the torque converter and the flexplate once the trans is bolted to the motor, after which the converter is slid forward to engage the flexplate. True?

I really, really, really need to get this done this weekend but I have no clue what size, grade, strength (stremph?) bolts/nuts/lockwashers/flat washers to use for this.

Call me a dumb ass (you're a dumb ass) but I can't find anything or remember what the hell to do.

Ladies and Gentlemen I am in a state of shock...so THANKS in advance.

2. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Go to your local Auto Zone, Pep Boys etc. and get a set of flex plate bolts for a Chevy from ARP which should be with all the other "performance" stuff. After you seat the converter fully (push that bad boy while turning it until you get three "clunks" as it sets back into the bellhousing) and bolt the trans to the motor. then slide the converter forward and you should have the 1/16-1/8 clearance between them. When you tighten it up it will pull them together. Bolt 'er up and you are done.

3. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

The 1 piece rear seal cranks have a smaller bolt circle than the earlier stuff. The ARP flexplate bolts have a head that is too big for them to work. You need a stock style head on the bolt!

Either way, you need a 7/16-20 for the flexplate to the crank (grade 8)

for the converter it could be a bolt and nut or just a bolt depending on the converter according to my ARP catalog... If its a bolt and nut, its 7/16-20 and 1.250 under head length
    just a bolt... 3/8-24 and .750 under head length.

ARP 230-7303 for bolt and nut
    ARP 230-7301 Just bolt

MR Gasket 6710 flexplate bolts
    Mr Gasket 6716 Torque Converter (bolt and nut)
    Mr Gasket 6715 Torque Converter (just bolt)

4. Missing Link

Missing Link

Thanks a ton guys! Awesome, awesome, awesome! Wish me luck I'm off to get hardware.

I can always count on someone here answering my questions.
    I gotta send Ryan some money...

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. squirrel

squirrel

ummm..that doesn't sound right. The converter bolts should be 3/8-16 with 5/8" underhead length, for either the Chevy style TH350 converter that uses a bolt and nut, or the BOP style converter that uses just a bolt.

And the later (lock up) trannys have metric threads, so be careful.

6. tomslik

tomslik

nope, they're 7/16 fine tread
    i'd give ya a length but i don't have any auto trans bolts handy but manual trans's are 15/16 long under the head.

and watch the convereter bolts!
    too long is NOT a good thing and some ALSO came with metric bolts(depends on year)

7. squirrel

squirrel

The flexplate to crank bolts are 7/16" fine thread.

I was talking about the converter to flexplate bolts, which are 3/8-16 and 5/8" long. As you said, make sure they're not too long or they will bend the converter housing and cause mayhem.

8. tomslik

tomslik

ahhh, what can i tell ya?
    it's a holiday, i'm not allowed to think;)