Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harbour Freight Welder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLUDICE, Aug 26, 2013.

1. elba

elba

Save your money and get a brand name WITH GAS !

2. frankie3555

frankie3555
    from Leeds, Al

I will throw my $.02 in..I got one and changed wire to Lincoln flux, to use on a some sheetmetal repairs on a 69 Cougar restoration I'm doing. It takes a little practice to get the speed setting right and to do sheetmetal I just stitch it all around and then fill in the spaces. Time consuming but it does work well. Haven't tried to weld anything over 17ga yet, like was said earlier 1/8" is probably the limit. I got mine for $70 on sale. I did have a much better gas mig several years ago, so I do know what a good welder is like, but for what I needed to do it works just fine. HF sells some crap but if you know what to buy you can get a good deal. So, far sand blaster-good, welder-good, powder coater-good, powder coating powder-bad, HVLP spray gun-good, wagner type electric painter-good, car bluffer/polisher-good. It helps to read the reviews for sure.

3. pay more now and get a good one...i bought the one your talking about..it did my car..BUT never looked like those nice weld dimes laying on dimes look...thats where its at

4. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Hobart or Miller.

5. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I've been welding (sticking metal together) for most of my life & gotta say-do not buy one of those welders! my brother-n-law has one & damn~ that thing sux! check C/list or other trading places or even pawn shops, just save your money & buy a name brand welder~Chuck

6. Hemishovel

Hemishovel

Buy name brand I have had my miller for 15 years never had a problem tried cheap welders before that never worked right I tried HF wire to save money you get what you pay for never again only use miller wire now plus get one that uses gas I use co2

7. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Just about everything from harbour freight is a POS.. Constantly replacing sanders, grinders, and other misc tools. Every air tool we've got their had to be replaced a month later. But their cheap soo...

8. Hemishovel

Hemishovel

Friend of mine just bought a miller new from welding shop he paid little over 500 it can he used with either 110 or 220with the plug they give you

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even a bulky old Miller would be better than anything at HF. Infinity serviceable. The old ones are just bigger.

10. Why is it so many guys want to use the worst tool available and the worst choice of welding processes? Body work is hard enough. Buy a torch

11. bonechop

bonechop
    from NW Indiana

My dad has never bought new tools! All of them are either from garage sales, swap meets or flea markets. Working in the mechanical field for 20+ years, I still hate going to his place to work on stuff while I have 2 fully stocked boxes of professional tools at home!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

you get what you pay for, if you do buy it make sure to buy the extended warranty. I bought a pancake air compressor, it crapped out on day 95 and no, I hadnt bought the warranty.

13. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

I've owned both Lincoln and Miller equipment. The Lincoln stuff was fine, but my nod goes to Miller. I use my Miller welder and plasma several times a week. They've both got lots of hours and have never given a second's trouble.

The comments about buying at a welding store are also correct. Lowe's (pushing HF in the race to the bottom), Home Depot, etc. all have products with brand names on them from ceiling fans to welders. They ARE NOT the same products you would buy in a specialized supply store. Ask any plumber about the faucets, for example. Delta faucets from Lowe's have plastic parts that quickly break; Deltas from a plumbing supply house are all metal. The big box stores have the manufacturers cut corners so they can get the price down. Surprisingly, the price often isn't any different, even more, than from a reputable supply house.

If I ever buy anything from Harbor Freight or Northern Hydraulics I consider them disposable products.

14. 54rat210

54rat210

Its good to start with then graduate to a much better quality welder. I have a friend that swears by his. I still have my flux core hf welder but I use my HTP MIG 120 now.

15. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

For an amateur builder a Hobart unit should be fine. I've had the HF flux unit and liked it...it's just not good for automotive fab work. You can shop around and find pretty good prices on a Hobart online. I think my 140 was $425 new free shipping.

Used would be cheaper, but I just have a fear of buying someone elses problems when I buy something used. A $250 $300 used welder might not be a good deal if you have to replace parts that are worn out like the liner.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy a used one, from your local welding supplier, if used worries you.

Liners are under $20.

17. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Not sure on HF but I bought a $300 140 amp Clarke welder at the local feed store over 10 years ago and it just keeps on going. I keep saying when it breaks i'll buy a good one but it refuses to quit.

18. I have been looking for a good quality MiG welder myself. I had been considering one from Sears that looks nice. Im not a welder so I couldn't tel you if its a POS or not. It gotta be better than any welder from HF though.
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-mig-welder-with-cart/p-00920569000P

My cousin is a welder by profession and suggested a Hobart - they are American made and the internals are pretty beefy.
    http://www.sears.com/tools-welding-...previousSort=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER&viewItems=50
    I know he has a Hobart, I don't remember if it is the Handler 125 or 140. I do know its a nice unit.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013