Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs HAMB Merc Club! who's in?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Nov 11, 2008.

1. What are your plans? Stock,Custom?

2. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Bob, plans are to go custom. I want to build one like Bob Tormey's - The Titian built by Barris Kustoms. Probably the only thing different on mine will be the drive train and front and rear bumpers. I have a 59 390 cadillac motor with a four deuce that will be going in the car. Other than that I want to keep it an early style custom.

Attached Files:

3. NICE! I'll be waiting for a build thread...

4. Here's the pic's of FatDaddy53's Merc

Attached Files:

5. redroaddog

redroaddog

finally got my 51 out of storage going to get started been away from it about 8 years it time...Dave

Attached Files:

6. redroaddog

redroaddog

moved the shop twice other cars and life got in the way, can't wait to get some progress on it. the wheels are just rollers will be a traditional build haven't decided if i will chop it or not i channeled it 5 inches so it sits lower than the pic's show... Dave:cool:

7. I'd say,don't chop it. Not enough un-chopped ones out there.

8. redroaddog

redroaddog

car was a soft yellow green with a dark green top had a moulding above the windsheild been toying with going that direction with skirts ,ww's with the custom mods i think it might be more what i'am looking for....was going black (shiney) or a candy but the 50's colors keep pulling at me:D...Dave

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

At least deduct the replacement cost of that glass. Check out the back window also.

10. WWinIL

WWinIL

Sounds like the glass might be the least of your worries at this point. If the owners won't show the car with an agreed time table before hand on making a decision to buy or pass, I would sure consider walking away at this point.You could still contact Bob to see if he has one and if not I'm sure he could tell you what to expect to give for a windshield. I would sure make a shopping list of missing/broken parts as that gen of mercs could be a bit difficult to find good parts. You also might want to check and see if repro window gasket/rubber if available, that in itself could be rather pricey too.

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Chatsworth, I would tell the sellers that I am planning on buying the car. (The truth is you are planning to to buy it, IF it meets your standards.) Nothing dishonorable about that as IT IS the truth. Then , if it doesn't meet your expectations, walk away. I sure hope they will let you drive it and examine it very thoroughly - top and bottom. Good luck.

12. My buddy Joe aka KOTC jumped in and helped me out bigtime, swapped my radiator setup I drove the car 60 miles the other day....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

deadgearhead likes this.
  13. I asked about moon discs in 2008 Chatsworth, we've all been there. :)

14. Yep. :)

I still like shiny wheels but I wanted my car to mostly look pre 1955, I'm running spider caps right now

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

15. Of course the caps are pure Jesse James. :)

16. Can we get back on track here.....18'' Merc rims? WTF?:confused:

Commin' outta the closet a lil' at a time!:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

justntime likes this.
  17. It means FYI- that i lurked here way before i ran my mouth and made an ass of myself. Yes- I read this debacle...... I watched,learned,and asked.......
    Do i think outta the box=for sure! It's in my car. But- some things just don't jive here...... if it wasn't for This Club,and it's way of adhearing to things,what would it be? Really?
    Fast forward some.....A GM drivetrain? Are you a die hard FO MO CO guy? Are you 100% flatty powered?
    I like my sbc. I built it.I've built them for 30 years,and I know what's up.
    Could it be a chrysler perhaps? an AMC?.....A Pontiac?
    Jeeze man- do some homework first before you come on here and say "what you think is cool". It's cool what you like,but the concsences in this club might not favor your choices......

And- I hope that the guy's in this club like the same beer I do,'cause we'de have two things in common- Killer Mercs,and Cold Beer!

18. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

... We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming...

Brought to you by Viceroy Cigarettes...
    "The man who thinks for himself knows...
    Only Viceroy has a thinking man's filter... A smoking man's taste!"

INVISIBLEKID, Is that your Merc in post #2608? What brand and size tires are on it? They look great. The whole car looks great. I'm about to pull the trigger on tires. Are the white walls wider than 3 inches?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  19. Chuckt6

Chuckt6

I'm in. I built a 1950 4 door merc almost completely at home. This was my first custom build, it's not pro, but I think it came out pretty good. I did the chop, body work, electrical, bags, rear end, trans, engine, paint, flames, upholstery. I did not do the striping, glass cutting, or engine machining. It took me 8 years but it's done, mine, and paid for.

354 hemi, mucie 4speed,

Chuck

Attached Files:

Lou kriger likes this.
  20. Hey Doc- Yep. Finally getting done and "commin' outta the closet" Lol!
    6.70X15 'stones. 3 1/2 WW. Powdered the wheels white,which add's a lil. Thanks-Kid

21. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

INVISIBLEKID,
    I see a lot of guys using 7.10 - 15's. Yours looks really nicely proportioned.
    What lead to choosing 6.70's over 7.10's? Were you considering 7.10's?

22. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Chuckt6, Nice Merc! You must be proud as hell. Show us more pictures of that interior.

23. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

my 1963 mercury monterey breezeway. its on hold untill i finish a few side jobs and my honey do list. womp womp womp ..

Attached Files:

24. There was one like this for sale by my office. Think it's a 4dr though. Hope you got your 18's for it. Seems to be the new thing,hahaha

25. I haven't heard of a Breezway. Is that a different model?

26. Chuckt6-You are #507
    crazy tonguezz-You are #508

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

All cleaned up. Carry on.

28. Thanks boss...

29. WWinIL

WWinIL

Breezeway=power operated rear window. Opens for ventilation and verbal assaults on vehicles w/18" wheels :D

30. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

i need to tatoo 508 on my forehead so i dont forget. ide write it backwards ,.. but then i would think i was from 805 bakersfield area... lol .
    thank you WWinIL you hit the nail on the head