Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB HISTORIANS HELP -Finest Merc gathering around ~ 60th Anniversary of the 49 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Oct 24, 2008.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary Glasgow / head guru at Night Prowlers knows the guy that
    has the Frank Sonzogni's '50 Merc....

You can call him at #417-682-3685

Below are pictures that I took from the guys photo album. Very Kool guy.

Happy Trails,

Mick

Attached Files:

2. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Hey guys, Just want to publicly thank the following people for your constant emails,PM's, and posts. Your contact info,suggestions,and overall knowledge has been extremely helpful.

Rikster, Shoebox1950,JimA,SoCalMerc,Mikes51,OO Mack,TheFrenz,StrayKatKustoms.

Thanks guys ! If i missed anyone, sorry, it wasn't intentional.

************************* U P D A T E ************************************

So far the following cars are 99% in the display.

RICHARD ZOCCHI'S "COOL 50"

HIROHATA MERC

NICK MATRANGA RECREATION

SAM BARRIS MERC

JAVIER MEJIA / JERRY QUESNEL INSPIRED

KEVAN "SINUS" SLEDGE 40 MERC

JOE BAILON MERC / BRUCE MEYER

HOP UP'S "DRAGOO" INSPIRED 54 MERC

HARRY WESTERGARDS 40 MERC CONVERTIBLE

WALLY WELCH MERC

BUDDY ALCORN MERC

AMERICAN GRAFFITI MERC RECREATION

JEFF NEPPL MERC - QUESNEL INSPIRED *LAST DICK DEAN CHOP*

RON MARTINEZ 39 MERC

PAUL BRAGGS 51 CONVERTIBLE - might have him bring one more.

FRANK SONZOGNI MERC

TOPPER'S MERC - sectioned & chopped Black & white 56 Merc from the Scoundrels c.c.

We're very blessed ! This just happened in 4 days. imagine what my list will look like in a week or two . (fingers crossed)

The plan is to have George Barris, Bill Hines, Gene Winfield, and Bo Hopkins (Joe the Pharoah) as special guests.

Cars i am still looking in to:

Cobra Merc - no info - a lot of conflicting stories
    Heart like a wheel Merc - spoke to Ina Tibbs, she told me that she won the car then gave the car to her sister who later sold it on Ebay - and the car went to Chicago. Anyone?
    James Dean Merc - No one at Harrahs museum will email/call me back.
    Bettancourt Merc - Still havent heard back from Barry Mazza.
    King of Mercs - havent heard back from the owner. Anyone have a phone number?
    Terry Hegman - Message left, will call again today
    Lee Lucero Merc - I have no contact info
    John D'Agostino's "Stardust" or "Midnight sensation" - I have no contact info for John.
    Ralph Testa Merc Convertible - No contact info
    Fred Rowe Merc Convertible - I THINK i have his contact info - let you guys know later on
    Kennedy Bros. built 41 Merc
    Bill Layman blue 54 Merc - (was in Rodders Journal) no contact info.
    Mercury Charlie Runnels 51 Merc - No contact info
    George Lange 41 Merc (was also in Rodders Journal) They are thinking about it.
    Harry Westergards/Ed Hagerty 40 Merc convt. sedan - I will call today.
    Gene Winfield's "California Gold" Merc - I will call today.
    "Book of Love Merc" - Harry Mohoff 51 Merc - I REALLY want this car - BUT, no contact info.
    "One bad Apple" - candy green 50 Merc from Oz Kustoms - will email him today
    Butch Hurly "Curly" Tremayne 50 Merc - I think i have his info.
    Bill Balough 51 Merc - I have no contact info.
    Joe Figueroa (Bob Cota built) 51 Merc - I have no contact info.

There are probably a lot more historically significant Mercs that i am missing, so if you know of anything please let me know. All the best to you guys, back to work, Axle

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  3. axle

axle
    from Drag City

'On the show, if there was a special parking area outside for the "regular" Mercs, I'd bet you'd end up with one of the largest gathering of Mercs in a long time'.

Lets do this ! I'll advertise this in our fliers and website !

4. I would think Oz Welch would have John D'Agostinos contact info. He has built him enough cars. Could probably bring a merc himself.

5. Mercury Charlie 512 552 2425
    John D'Agostino Kustom Kars
    PO Box 1771
    Discovery Bay CA 94505
    No # or email showing on his site (odd).

6. Rikster

Rikster

7. crossroads

crossroads

This car looks much better in grey primer. Just my opinion, Beautiful car though !

Attached Files:

8. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

I'd Like to see the Jesse James Mercury at the show too.Should be no problem to get in contact with him...

[​IMG]

9. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

since it looks like your going for over 51 mercs and into 56 as well you should try to get Paul Bragg to finish his 54 merc that is one of the best customized 52to54 mercs out there.

how many phone #'s do we have to get you, to get a free show t-shirt :D:D

10. 53chevy

53chevy

Wow! very cool Axle. It would be good to see a Merc that was done by Merc John. Also, where will this be hosted at? I'm at work so maybe some of the info is blocked.

Ken

11. Rikster

Rikster

I have created a folder on my site for this special Merc gathering.
    It will have photos of all (well at least I try) the cars that have agreed to come to this special event.
    Axle keeps me posted on the new cars that will come to the event, so I will try to update with new photos as soon as I can.

Then we can start drooling over all those wonderful Mercury customs that will be in one location for the first time. And start making arrangement to make it out there.

Click on the image below to go to the folder

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  12. airnwater

airnwater

How about Gene Winfields Jade Idol ? :)

13. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Gene Winfield just called me. The owner of the Jade Idol lives in Massachusetts and is going to try to get the car out here for this as well as GNRS. It looks like we will have Winfields "California Gold" in this display/gathering. Will confirm in a day or two.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  14. I can't wait for this show. I need to request the time off now to be sure I get it. When exactly would this show be? ...or did I miss it in the thread somewhere...

15. old beet

old beet

Keith, they won't let you in!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

16. The Rod Powell built Merc was sold by the Tremayne family to Gary Minor in northern California many years ago. It was sold to Frank Morawski about 5 years ago and is currently under restoration in Maryland. Frank also has the Super Bell '34 coupe that will be at the GNRS in January, and the Fred Carrillo Bonneville '27 modified roadster.
    It's in the bay area, just the Chesapeake Bay!

17. sled

sled

Wow,this Merc Meet would be awesome considering the speed things are rolling...cannot really help on findin historical Mercs here ,but countin early february makes me seriously thinkin to bring my junk Merc there at list to join the regular parkin lot...4 months upfront work workin countin Christmas and new years eve,mmm..i should put the pile ruffly togheter to join the cream puff then...tempting,very tempting
    Axle,well tought....

18. Hey Axle,

Somebody mentioned the King of Mercs II was on Ebay a few weeks ago. It was. I did manage to save the link and hopefully this can help you get it for the show. According to the listing it is in Springfield, Missouri. Wow, this is going to be one of the biggest things to hit a car show in years! Good luck, bro!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1940...oryZ6882QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, and to socalmerc, we lost Neil Emory on 10-10-04. Wow, just over four years ago already..........Where does the time go? E

19. 00 MACK

00 MACK

That could actually be considered the King of Mercs iii because DeRosa built a totally hainus 51 Gold chopped 4 door hardtop in the 70s with square quad headlights and upside down 56 Clipper taillights years before he built the 51

20. That's NO tribute Merc! It's a joke....

21. If I can park with a bunch of Mercs...I'll definately drive my Merc up there! Wouldn't miss this for anything...

22. JAWS

JAWS

I must be totally blind, but when exactly are the dates. I don't wanna miss this.

23. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

Feb 6-8 2009 Cal expo fairgrounds Sacramento CA.

24. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

thanks for the ebay post. i thought i saved it.
    also thanks for the Neil Emory info. i did not no he passed. i was looking through all my biz cards and i seen his. he gave me a original with his autograph.

25. Rikster

Rikster

This one...
    [​IMG]

26. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thank you very much for letting me know about this !

27. 00 MACK

00 MACK

All I have to say is that I called Kurt and spoke to Larry Dames who owns the Frank Songzoni Merc.It didnt dawn on me how much the guy ruled till I talked to him.I mean think about it,he bought the car for pennies,did it however he wanted when customs werent worth their weight in salt and has put 180000 miles on it since he redid it and dropped a big chrysler in it in the late seventies.The guy drives the shit out of it ,often loading up the trunk full of parts and heading off to the swap meetsWhile he has most of the missing pieces to bring the car back to Barris /Songsoni condition,I get the sence that it is about 8976897698769 on his priority list.Hell,If he wanted the car green and gold he would have done it like that in the first place.LOL!!!! I dont know who I admire more,dudes like him or the John Mumfords of the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Both are very hero worthy. They do their own thing- not looking for any admiration, but that's what makes them so cool.

29. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

I have contacted Axle about the Marcos Garcia Built Lucky 7 Customs Mercs that were shown at the 2006 Cow Palace show. Both very traditionaly done cars.

And I am going to provide Axle with contact information on Butch Hurlhey who chopped Currlys Merc and was Rod Powells body man for years. Butch has a couple of Mercs under his belt right now and I will get in touch with him to see what he can provide!

I also forgot to add that I have 2 really cool pictures of them chopping Curllys Merc. that I got handed down from a friend and if you want to use them for a display anywhere let me know!

30. jk49merc

jk49merc

bob, if you guys get a group to drive up let me know. would dig driving up together.
    jeremy