Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hamb criteria enforcement

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by thirtytwo, Nov 8, 2015.

1. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Just curious ,.....

I have been around here long enough to remember threads on rockabilly shows, tattoos, art, go carts, mini bikes, airbags ,s-10 swaps ,race cars and choppers,

I've noticed some strict enforcing lately , while I don't really miss the bullshit scenester threads and the flat black 4 door falcon builds ( technically still ok btw?)

I do miss some of the diversity , I'm a mechanical type so sometimes I find stuff interesting that I'm not really into or pay attention to and might find a idea hidden in someone's super clean jag suspension install

I really miss seeing the chopper builds.. I know there is the jockey journal but its not the same... I think if you get to many like minded people the place might just become stale and sterile ?

Me personally I would rather see a sanitary s-10 chassis swap or bags on a jaguar ... than
    another thread of what color should I paint my motor or what shade of red looks good on my wheels

We allow coil overs , disc brakes vega boxes ,700r4s, t-5s , borgson joints,

but a Coe , or a 32 style body built from scratch is questionable cause he used the sheet metal from a vw?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  2. I "liked" your post.

I do not fully understand the line,
    nor would I want to draw it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. I personally need to know what kind of pomade is best or if my 3" cuffs will cut it in Rodeo drive. :rolleyes:

@thirtytwo I understand where you are coming from, I think it is easier to retain our focus if we don't have to spend too much time deciding what is OK and what is not. Probably the social groups give us enough diversion to keep us happy or at least they are an avenue for those things not covered in within the central focus of the board.

I am quite bored with everything being flat any color by the way. I am with you on what color should I paint my car though, sometimes we just need to ignore those threads and move on.

4. I think I get it.There is some good info in lots of ot stuff.

5. I have caught some valuable information in OT posts but I am sure that if we let it get out of control we would end with page after of page of OT posts and they take up bandwidth. I have noticed that some OT posts stay up for a while before they go by the wayside, maybe it is the moderators giving some of us a chance to glean something of value from the posts.

I think too that it is not always the moderators who nix a thread, sometimes they stay until someone reports them. We can't put all the blame on the powers to be, sometimes it is us who gets something deleted.

6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Yes it would be difficult , and for the record I'm not trying to create any drama with this post ,

but those of you who have been on the hamb for a while would remember it was kaos and creative , I can't help thinking all the pigeon holeing has maybe been a little counter productive

For instance :
    when the wanted ads were mixed with the forsale ads they got tons more traffic ..and from people not nessesarily thinking of selling.... People always answered most the time I found what I was looking for that way ....now wanted ads just seem to be an application for a scammer

Ahh the old days , just reminiscing I guess

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
    AHotRod, slack, 2racer and 1 other person like this.
  7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally see what you mean and I´ve noticed this change aswell. My 2 cents to this is, 15 years ago , at least here in Germany there were two sorts of car guys. The ones who had perfectly restored original cars, and the others that had easter egg colored, billet laden and winged abortions... There was no place for the old styled, blue collar type builds, be it hot rod, full or mild custom , lobuck built cars...but the HAMB . Traditional is here to stay I guess and that is why this ' scene' ( can 't tell how much i hate this word) has evolved to something that has enough colors and shades to make a topic out of any scheme... Early lowriders, 30s &40s customs, late radikal customs, early hot rods , gassers, slingshots, choppers ,you name it... Back in 96 we chopped an old Opel right at a car show in the middle of munich and the VW GTI crowd told us, we couldn't drive bias plys cause they handled like crap... Today, these same folks wouldn't accept a radial tire or and ohv engine on an early hot rod. Which is absolutely ok , what i'm trying to say is, there are a lot more folks into our 'lifestyle' than 10-15 years ago and yes, i can see the need to boil it down to the essence of traditional customs and hot rods.
    I don't know if this is good or bad, just the times are changing ...

8. Didn't we go thru all this already?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

325w likes this.
  9. We as members don't have the option of make editorial decisions and it's probably a good thing we don't.

For years the Boss let us run with scissors and then he decided he wanted it more focused on traditional cars,I think most of us are lucky he left a place where the rest of us could participate,ie. The Hokey Ass Message Board,

If everything came down to being 100% traditional rods & customs the membership would substantially take a hit. HRP

10. What hasn't been? HRP

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  11. Touché!!!!!

Good point. I guess I had a moment of déjà vu.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Yes I got you beaner and for the most part I am the dont like it ...don't pay attention to it crowd i was using the opinion posts as a comparison to a coe thread from 07 that just got locked after 146 pages?

nothing was more off topic than a posting from GERM , but I'm sure glad they didnt get locked or deleted back then ... I laughed my ass off it pissed people off but they didnt have to look either

I'm not gonna lie though ...it does suck when you are going through a period thread and someone post bunch pics of street rods cause they just dont get it

So I guess I'm a pigion holer too ...maybe the mods are trying to figure it all out also....
    I just want to see that excitement again from people fixing rusty pieces of shit feels like we painted ourselves in a corner

13. I think if it WORKS DONT FIX IT. And the HAMB works. maybe some tweaks now and then but I think we can all live with that. I love the HAMB, it is what it is, and my not be perfect, BUT COMES CLOSE!

14. Or maybe it's the fact that this forum is way bigger than it was back in the days of germ and everyone's reminiscents and if the mods let a whole bunch of off topic stuff stay the content that people are actually here for gets buried in no time at all. Same thing goes with the classifieds a site gets big enough and becomes a target for anyone trying to sell stuff. It also means that leaving everything in one forum means stuff drops down twice as fast as if it is in two forums.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's why I read more than post. When threads that date back to 2008 are suddenly locked after 15-20 pages and hundreds of posts, I'm not saying much...

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

It's a slippery slope.

Come here for your traditional hot rod or custom fix and Instagram to see what all these fellas are doing with their other interests.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

yeah it sucks, I need to find a site where I can get all the latest poser fashion tips. like which is cooler Ben Davis or Dickies? can my pompadour be taller than my cuffs? I got to know these things so I won't look like a dork.

18. As Beaner mentioned, we do have social groups, but unfortunately, people join em, but don't really use em.
    Sure there are some that pump, but I'm a member of a few, and I started two groups, and while there's a little traffic in some, most are basically dead.
    You can talk about anything you like there, Ryan has said he's not interested in moderating them, I think that's up to the person who starts the group.

Anyway point is, there really is no issue re moderation on main board, Hambers just need to get their heads around the group thing.

19. What's a Ben Davis ? Does that super-cede dickie ? What happened to schlong or sausage ? Did I miss the vernacular changes? Guess I should post a thread for this ? And what if my Ben Davis has wart lookin' things on it ? What color should it be ? Spray bombs ? Patina'ed ? Mollassified ?? Some photo-shop help please ? Better get the lemon juice ... lemonade anyone ? Better yet, chop saw ! Grinder, no guards ? Harbor Freight help. I'm bleeding !! What bandages should I use ? Or burn it shut ?

For every awesome something from nothing thread ... period perfect ... history discovery ... and peel the sheets off something cool post .... there are a lot of yahoo wtf posts like my previous paragraph. I'm an OH and AH guy ... hard to change why I get impressed. There aren't enough Jim Sibleys, and all his reasonable like minded cohorts. Pretty much it. We have to clone them. Can we cast some up ? Need a thread on that maybe .... what color will they be ?

I love this place. Period. Thanks for asking !

20. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

What kind of pomade do I put on the cuffs of my flat black rockabilly jeans & will my 4 door falcon bolt on an S10 frame ?

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  21. indyjps

indyjps

I've been jumping over to dogfightmag for diversity. The fabrication and inginuety on here makes this my first stop.

22. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I have a genuine interest in traditional hot rods. When I grew up, they were not called traditional hot rods and customs, they were just hot rods and customs. My first up close experience with a chopped top, flame throwing Mercury, was about 1958. I like to look at old hot rods, and I like to talk about old hot rods and customs, but I have no plans to own one again. No one else wants one either. Even the old not rods that have been restored, are not the same as they were originally. They are close but not exactly. Thankfully we have made vast improvements in materials and techniques. So the question is, how far can you stray and still have the appearance of the way things were.

It is not important to me. I am glad there is a following of people who I have a common interest. I am amused at times though by some of the comments that are made about the history of traditional hot rods and customs, and how far those comments are from the truth.

John

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want my car to look the same as all of the ones you guys have. That's what tradition is all about!

24. Speaking only for the classifieds forum.........the bigger we got the more focused on traditional rod and customs parts and cars we needed to be. The guys were complaining their ad posted at 9 am would be shuffled off to the 12th page by noon...and almost everyone looks at the first page and shifts to another forum...me included.
    We [guys who are only interested in traditional stuff on the HAMB] like the present setup a lot better than trying to wade through ads for vega tailights and Mustang II power racks. There are plenty of other sites for that stuff like Craig's list and ebay.
    I miss Germ tho.......

lothiandon1940 and Baumi like this.
  25. I freaking love that statement! I have been doing this (hot rods ) my whole life and never once have I had to dress a certain way or listen to the right music.... I just don't get it. But I would put a 4 door falcon on a 4 wheel drive s10 frame just to drive through tge woods. what else are you supposed to do with one?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought this place was about rods and customs, and not pissing on the lifestyles of those who are into rods and customs.

I have been building rods and customs most of my life. What business is it of yours what my hair looks like, how many tattoos and piercings I have, or how big the cuffs are on my jeans?

None of that should even be an issue on this site. This site is not about people.

You don't need to like it. You just need to keep your damned mouth shut. It does not belong here. Every line of your rants cost bandwidth, and takes up storage space.

Talk about what has wheels or is made of metal, and stop being judgmental pricks. All you are doing is alienating those who might carry your tradition forward.

Protip: they don't all look, think, or act just like you, and they never will.

27. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I think some of those comments are referring to the way the HAMB used to be ... Lots of off topic posts lots of dress and tatoo tips ...scenester stuff ...it was pretty bad in the late 90s early 2000s sounded like a bunch of girls with make up tips sometimes.....

I'm with you I get it from the other side though... Being in the Bay Area in the early 2000s with a real hotrod and dressing like my square Midwestern self ... I was judged even more harshly

But I like your point which in a way was my point , I am very greatful that Ryan made the hamb exist and while the hamb IS Ryan's baby ....it is also only the sum of the people that are using it ...

If we start getting all up-itty about "traditional " and drive away a lot of smart people or out of the box thinkers like the 32 made out of a vw or reject a bitchin built f-1 cause its got jag front suspension we will be left with lots of what color red on my wheels threads

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, it's still here, and it's old and tired. Not a day goes by without insults being hurled against those not perceived to be "acceptable". Yeah, it has gotten better, but there is still a long way to go.

29. 5window

5window

But, the HAMB, by definition, is supposed to be about traditional hot rodding. It is, of course, only Ryan's definition that counts. Still, I find myself spending less and less time here since the board seems to be going in other directions. I have not found a suitable replacement. Time marches on, but between life and death both taking a toll, this place is not what it was. When was the last time Denise and Megan did a road trip? If you don't know who they are, then I guess I am not addressing this post to you.

30. I started this hotrod stuff in 1958 with a 36 5 window with an olds tri power. I have been here for 7 or 8 years and enjoyed every day. I remember a hot rodder in Germany with a model A coupe and a BMW V12.
    He posted how he eliminated the computer used two 6 cylinder Chevrolet HEI distributors and built a 3 two carburetor set up. Traditional no hot rod and interesting yes.
    That's the stuff I enjoy reading once in awhile.

Ned Ludd, Max Gearhead and slack like this.