Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hairpin and side steer box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KimLeonard, Nov 7, 2015.

1. I have done a search on here and on google and not been able to see an answer to a problem I have. I'm building a '29 sports coupe hi boy with full hood and have a problem I'm hoping you guys can help me out on.
    I know most builds with hairpins seem to go for cross steer, however I have an early mustang box laying around that I thought I would use. However, I am able to find a good location for the box which does not interfere with the hairpins.
    I know it could be mounted on top the chassis but as I'm running a full hood I'd sooner not chop the hood about.
    So, this is the best I've come up with (hope you can see this clearly). This seems like it might work but my concerns are : Is it ok to mount the hairpin brackets to the inside of the chassis rail and is the location too tight to allow movement from the hairpins.
    Thanks for any help or ideas that you may have.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That is not going to be right anyway. The drag link and the hair pin need to operate in the same arc. Hard to explain without a picture.

3. as dumprat said , your pitman arm will pointing up and the geometry off . is there a way to reverse a mustang box? or maybe use a Corvair box

a non traditional side steer vega box would solve your problem

just thinking

4. I should know the answer to this but does your pitman arm mount up or down? If up and you build one that is S shaped to move rod mount back so it is above the hair pin mount bolt it would be fine. I'd be more concerned about the Heim mount bolt being in single sheer.
    The Wizzard

5. Pete and Jake's used to offer a mount bracket for the Mustang steering box that put the mount in the correct place. I tried to find a photo of it for you but their web site sucks too bad and I couldn't find anything.

6. Pitman arm is down and will clear the hairpins, does that change anything or does that still mean the ark is off ?
    Single sheer Heim mount on the hairpins was based on the Speedway PDF fitting for the hairpins. This has a joint spacer between it and the bracket.
    Thanks for all the replies so far......great help as this is my first time on building a front end (always had them pro built but cant afford it anymore) and not in this style.

7. Speedway do sell a Mustang mount

8. if your pitman arm is pointing down with a early mustang box your steering will be backwards....that's why i mentioned reversing the box

falcongeorge likes this.
  9. oh crap, and you know what....I knew that but had forgot. Even just checked on a photo of my old ' 33 coupe and there it is "upright".....grrrr

10. F&J

F&J

How about a F100 box, through the frame rail, and keep the rear hairpin mounted inboard like you have it?

just a thought

11. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

We run heim joints in single shear all the time in northeast modified stock cars, no problems as long as the bolt doesn't "wiggle" in the mounting bracketry...

12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Mustang box was the plan with a 4 BAR frontend and thats what P&J was promoting.
    It isn't a good choice with a hairpin or other single pivot style because it gets in the way of things and has the tierod mounted too high so the angles are off.
    Also the box ends up pretty far back and that can make for a bit of a steep column angle.
    I'd look for a top mount box like a Corvair (reversed/easy to do) or an F1 or F100 thru the rail style. Vega would work well for cross steer but it does kill the trad vibe. Vega isn't the only choice for cross steer however.

KimLeonard likes this.
  13. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

It's uncommon for them to be in double shear on most Hot Rods although its the best way to go!
    I think we get away with it because the Heims we use are a bit oversize for the job...compared to what would be needed if they were in double shear. If in single shear use a retainer washer just in case something pops in the Heim and it comes apart. Unlikely...but a bit of additional safety is a good thing.

KimLeonard likes this.
  14. Great info guys, thanks. Played around with the Mustang box again today but as said its getting in the way of things. I have a thru the rail style box here ( its an early Land Rover ). At this point I dont want to be drilling any holes in the chassis so I mocked up ( kinda crude but hope you get the idea) where it could go. Am I any closer or is no better ? f1styleunnamed.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

That be real close..

KimLeonard likes this.
  16. Anyone else have any thoughts on my thru the rail set up photo, thanks

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  17. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I use a mustang box on my 32 and the only problem I have is the tire rubs the drag link in a left turn. I didn't build the car but it should have a slightly wider axle. I have a vega box in my roadster and that car drives like a dream. I have a four link with the mustang box.

18. F1 or F100 box. Check the Tardel book " How to build a hot rod."
    The box is rebuild able. and can be adapted to your frame.

19. Wondering why you want to mount the box so far back from the stock A location, looks like it would get in the way of the pedals (unless you are using hanging pedals) and puts the column at a pretty steep angle.

KimLeonard and Hackerbilt like this.
  20. Good point, about the original location...the new engine mount is in the way.

I did read somewhere (correct me please if I'm wrong ) but having the arm as far back reduces bump steer ? So another reason Im trying to get it back as far as poss'

I'm planing on hanging pedals what ever the out come so not too concerned.

Thanks again guys for posting

21. Those boxes are a bit thin on the ground out here in England, but as I mentioned, the Land Rover one I have is the same sort of thing and is used a lot out here.

22. Through the rail is the way that I would go if I was against cutting a notch in the hood and you can extend the sector shaft to clear your hairpins.
    I would personally try and mount my box farther back to avoid problems with the hairpin. but that is my own personal solution. I do intend to run side steer with my hairpin setup I am giving my Sedan a mild channel so it wouldn't count as a highboy but the steering is still just steering and where the body is mounted has little to do with it.