Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hair Brained Scheme...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackandgold, Aug 25, 2014.

1. blackandgold

blackandgold
    from Wisconsin

So, what you're saying is I should sneak in before I pay and do some damage in an inconspicuous spot ;)

Once I have all of that paperwork/proof of ownership, should the title be difficult to get? I've never had to deal with retitling a car before now.

This model A is all new terrain for me. It will definitely be a huge project. I've done body and engine work to both my old, fun (and unfortunately sold) '78 Y88 Trans Am and now my '79 Firebird but nothing to the extent of this. I'm ready to jump in!

2. blackandgold

blackandgold
    from Wisconsin

Hmm... scrolling through and looking at the pictures I noticed I put the pictures of his '31 coupe up.... grr. That would explain the hacked up looking frame. Its sitting on a rusted out g body Monte Carlo frame. The two cars look very similar.
    I think I can get the actual pics up tonight or late tomorrow. It's in similar condition but a MUCH better frame.

3. blackandgold

blackandgold
    from Wisconsin

0702141621.jpg 0702141622.jpg 0702141621c.jpg 0702141621b.jpg 0702141621a.jpg 0702141621.jpg Here we go. I feel like an idiot for doing that. The plus to this car (other than to rust on the most likely home built frame) is that it was on blocks off the ground until 2 months ago so there was nothing touching the ground.

This guy's place is a sight to see. He has close to 30 cars that are just sitting and is a really cool guy to talk to.

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

This SEMA page should be of some help with figuring out your state's registration requirements, or at least give you the right questions to ask.

I have yet to see any frame pics that show a frame I would bother dragging home. That front mounted steering box concoction is just scary and it looks rotten anyway. The ONLY thing you might want that frame for is if there are papers on the car linked to the numbers stamped on the frame rail. If that is the case, take it, and hack off all that janky stuff, then see what's left.

EDIT: though it looks like it might have a 32 front crossmember, so this was probably a solid axle hot rod before someone did all that IFS stuff to it. Also, that looks like paint on the frame, so you should be able to find an un-obliterated frame number if you can get to it.

blackandgold likes this.
  5. Blackandgold...You fail to tell us where the car is located and your wise ass remark as to your location ,makes this thread useless..I personally would not haul that scrap iron home from my next door neighbor..

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I recently purchased these reminants of a coupe body, to piece together a coupe to replace one I sold.

I say go for it.

rear.jpg $_57.jpg

7. blackandgold

blackandgold
    from Wisconsin

Sorry for wanting to maintain some privacy in this online world by using a lighthearted joke. I'm in SW Wisconsin. All you had to do was ask :)

I'll check for a frame number next time I get over there. I've had a busy last few weeks. I will most likely end up going straight axle eventually but my goal for now would be to just get it on the road. And yes, it does have the rear fenders, running boards, and hood. The front fenders, running boards, and hood will probably end up coming off though due to the shape they're in.

8. Blackandgold..sorry of I offended you but your address is far more beneficial to you here on this board..and at my age, I call a spade a spade..You should make some friends with someone that has gone thru all the work that will be necessary for you to do on out of a pile of mis-matched parts..Its totally different from the Trans-ams you are familar with..

9. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Don't think there is any reasonable way to get the existing frame "road worthy", so I would forget that part of the decision making process. It would take a ton of money to fix the existing mess and it would be throwing money away. Take the parts that are worth while and use them, the rest is scrape metal. When deciding what it is worth I would consider the frame and suspension as non-existent and decide what the remained is worth to you. You will need a new frame, new front suspension and new rear suspension, that will be added to the other cost to get in drivable. I have to agree with wbrw32, it would help if you had someone knowable to help you with the decision making process, this is a BIG project.

patmanta likes this.
  10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I mostly/partially agree. The remaining original rails DO look fairly decent from the front of the crossmember to the rear where we lose sight of them however, and a good boxing and re-horning might save them. Though I'm only suggesting this if using that one number stamped rail will help A LOT to get him legal.

Otherwise, if you get stuck with it, put the rolling frame up for sale as a rat project, some kid will buy it and put a mangled chrysler sedan in it. Besides, it's probably still better than an S10 chassis ;)

blackandgold likes this.
  11. blackandgold

blackandgold
    from Wisconsin

Don't sweat it. It takes quite a bit to offend me. I do realize that this will be extremely different from my Pontiacs. It is a complete overhaul, top to bottom. Its somewhat overwhelming, but I have been wanting to do this for a long time, and at the price, its hard to pass up.

Hopefully I can still read the frame number. The frame is pretty clean, and yes, that would still be white paint on it! If my phone wouldn't have died I would have more pictures.