Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR Rules...

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Ryan, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy Scott,

The way it wound up accepted out here is that the rule implies, and is understood to mean, "model" year. Thus a '62 model available in late '61 doesn't make it, it's officially a '62.

The very argument you've made is what was made for the first generation 194. The reasons it was voted down were; the difficulty in policing it to strictly first generation, and the ease of "cheating" it.

It was first proclaimed only at Eagle Field, by that promoter. It has since come to be generally accepted out here. Elsewhere there's been NO "official" ruling, not by any vote, proclamation or agreement. I believe however, that it may eventually come to be generally accepted across the board.

Unfortunately, one of our guys built one prior to that decision, and though being personally invited, and more than welcomed to run, wasn't interested. The lone drawback? Not being allowed to claim the HA/GR "trophy" we have.

Rules parsing is indeed an historic and honorable drag racing rite. But getting shafted by drag racing's rules refinements is also an old and well known result of sailing too close to the boundaries, just ask anyone who built a three wheeled rail, an open funny car, a reaction engined car, etc, etc. It's a game within the game.

Myself, I'd go ahead and build it, the only thing you'll be out should you make it to our neck of the woods is our "HAMBie". You'll be welcomed, befriended, and raced, in damn short order just the same. Even faster if you're buying the hot dogs. :D

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. ScottV

ScottV

I found out recently that "meant" and "implied" are seen differently when it comes to rules (law). I wanted to do something different and have fun, but also be in "the spirit" and be legal. It is probably just because everone is afraid of being beat by a four cylinder !!! :p

As long as they're ...

[​IMG]

3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

But of course my good Sir, can you just imagine the incredible shame of falling prey to two thirds (or worse still, half) the engine they're running? :D

Oh wait, that's right, my 225's been beaten by a mere 170 on occasion. Where shall I hide my head. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  4. nexxussian

nexxussian

Mine hides pretty good in my helmet. :D

Glad to hear there is some decision in progress on this, sort of. :D

If I ever get even somewhat caught up with all this and my recent career change, I'ma gunna hafta build me ona dese. :)

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Great idea, perhaps if I get a really dark face shield as well ........... :cool:

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Just get a ski mask.:p

7. spanners

spanners

Over here in Oz-bloody-stralia where it's always sunny except when it's raining, some of are using the locally produced 132.5 and 138 cu.inch inline sixes. They were good for about 60b.h.p. on a good day so you could imagine what a sludge-atratic-transmagression would drain out of it.
    Power to the cogbox I say.
    Wish I had the money to bring it over there to race it when finished.

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

We would love to have you at one of our meets over here. :D

9. Twisted6

Twisted6

Mummer so much for my tripled carbed 250 lol guess i'd just have to find a 194 for it. lol

10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

As the 194 issue has been flogged here previously...save yourself the problems and find a 235.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  11. Twisted6

Twisted6

Not a big deal I was only pulling on the chain.I understand the rules on it.194s are still fairly easy to get ones hands on.And i can work over the stock 194 head just as well as any other. thank you.

12. derbydad276

derbydad276

*I was interested in doing this untill I read all the (rules)
    nice idea if you still have these engines in your area
    these are few and far between
    and expensive in the detroit area

I'm thinkin build what i want and have fun with it

250 chevy and slip and slide hard to break!!
    8.8 axel from a what ever
    and go out and have fun with it

13. Some how the thought process here is to set an arbitrary date and then limit it to what they want. Engine family and logic in transmission is not an option. I sold my car partly because of that. I was going to use a Ford 200 and Ford-o-matic. The trans was old enough, but not a weak stick and the 200 was a couple of years to new though from the same engine family as the 144-170. Rules is Rules...Build what ya want and enjoy.

14. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I'm just curious here, but when people build HA/GR that conforms to all the HA/GR rules except for an automatic transmission, and they are put into the dragster class. How much are they at a disadvantage running against dragsters? If they have a huge disadvantage being put in the dragster class wouldn't it be better to make a HA/GRA class for the automatic equiped cars. I think if a HA/GRA class was made alot more cars would be built. Like I said in the beginning I'm just curious.

15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

They're only relegated to "dragster" class at the HAMB Mokan meet in August.

As to an HA/GRa class, it's been bandied about, but nothing's been done to date.
    Tulsa has a fairly decent slush pump HAMBster style class going, and it's starting up out here as well. It's called SDRA (Senior Drag Racing Assoc.), and their rules link's here.

As you can see, they also allow other modern concessions as well. It's simply a different style of racing applied to the HA/GR conceptualization. It allows another breed of racer to join in the fun of HAMBster style cars.

As to slush pumps in actual HA/GRs, no-one's doing it because it wasn't done in the postwar era of drag racing that we emulate. Slush pumps back then were huge, cast iron, inefficient things that were neither reliable nor effective on the strip. They were nothing at all like modern ones, and therefor not representative of postwar racing.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  16. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I gotcha. Anyways I just missed out on getting a good running Ford 170" 6 cylinder with an good automatic out of a Ford Falcon (a day late, and a dollar short as always), if I would have got the engine, and trans I was going to build a HA/GRA, but it's back to the drawing board.

17. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Hi, one question please, in rule [6. Cars must have cowl or body and proper floor boards/belly pan to prevent driver’s legs from exiting vehicle in event of a crash. firewall mandatory.] would it be ok to run a roadster body like Tony Nancy's 22jr over a HA/GR chassis, as long as everything else complies. HA/GR's are a growing class down here in NZ and we follow the same rules as what is set out in this forum. Just looking for thoughts, not looking for another dust-up. Cheers.

Scotty

18. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Certainly. The "or body" covers that nicely, just meet the criteria of preventing your body parts from exiting the vehicle, or flames from coming in. :cool:

19. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Thanks for that, the chassis will be "tinned out" as per normal, to keep me in and everything else out. The body will be one piece, only for looks, kinda like an Altered. I just hope it doesn't bump me into gas roadster.

Scotty.

20. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Hi Old28, we're still in the planning/collecting bits stage. I have rims, body, Ford 10 (english) front end and an o/t car to paint and sell to help with funds. A clubmate has a rebuilt '40 Flatty that one piston has come apart, I think I can get that for a reasonable price, even if it needs a sleeve. Racing doesn't start here till December so we've got a ways to go. My buddy Chris (gasserkiwi here) is going to help as he's been racing before, he's a good guy and only 5 min's down the road. I'll have lots to ask and learn along the way.

Scotty.

21. Hey guys, could I get clarificaiton on the frame rail specs? I plan on using rectangular, 11 gauge steel tubing, 3X1 1/2. Does this meet the intent of the (1. Stock or modified stock frame rails, rectangular tube or round tube 3′’ diameter or larger.) rule. Thanks.

22. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Sounds good to me. It's the same basic size as Model-T rails. What are you planning for power?

23. I gathered up about four old slant sixes a few years ago with intentions to build one, but got sidetracked. I'm back on track now. I will be there in 2012. By the way, how may of the HA/GRs showed up this year?

24. derbydad276

derbydad276

I recently came across a 225 in aluminum slant 6 from a boat would it be allowed?

25. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

26. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

I picked up a HA/GR rolling chassis from a friend. He started it but needed some cash. Ended up giving him more than his asking price to help him out. I have couple of questions regarding the rule about the front axle. The rule says standard width front axle. The chassis currently has a "standard" width aftermarket tube axle. Is this allowable or should I swap it out for an I-beam type?

Hope to have it at the HAMB Drags in Aug 2013. I'll start a build thread once I get going on it. Got a truck in the shop that needs to be finished first.

27. Old28

Old28

It is fine, start building. Another HA/GR is a good thing.:)

28. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

42inch is minimum width

29. old sparks

old sparks

can someone clarify the firesuit requirements ? if i`m reading the nhra rules properly, all you need is a jacket for the low 11 second runs that these cars make. thanks

30. Old28

Old28

I think because cars are open wheel and have to meet 10.0 sec and slower rules, that a sfi-5 pants & jacket is the call with arm restraints & Collier. Same setup as all dragsters/altereds in 10.0 and slower. It is what I use. Others may have other ideas.:rolleyes:

Just run that 15 or 20 suit you have, that way you will be legal when you tip the can & make flames.:D

Calkins likes this.