Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Texas ?

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Von Richthofen, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Are the any guys here buildin or racing these ?
    I know my Okie buddies are .

2. racer32

racer32

I saw one with a FOR SALE sign at the Texas Thaw. Does that count?

3. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

that was the ramrods car out of owasso okla it is one of the first ha/gr cars built . the guy bought it and never raced it. I understand it wont start now to bad nice car

4. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

What motor is in it?

5. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

This one,yes it is for sale and yes it does still run.

Attached Files:

6. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

I have raced against that one, it ran 12.40's. Was built by a bunch of guys in Owasso, Okla. they raced Tulsa and Mokan. A nice car. It was a replacement for the first car that those guys built. Their first was one of the first three cars to race HA/GR at Mokan, and now that first car is owned by Roy Merritt, and the second is for sale.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  7. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

I've had thoughts of building one of these running through my mind for a while now.... You build the motor, I'll build the frame!

8. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

I,m sure thinkin about buildin one the only six ,s
    ive ran across are from the 70,s have to give the rules
    another look see ...

9. Old28

Old28

That is a nice looking flat motor HA/GR car. Anyone know what they are asking for it?:confused:

10. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I've been thinking of building one whenever I run across a complete 170, or 200 6 out of a Falcon, Mustang, or Maverick. (I'm a Ford guy so it has to be Ford powered).

11. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

Old 28 They were asking $9500, which included $1500 steering rig, and $1000 carb!

Kenneth I did some sketching around my 2.3 Lima/T5, before noting that both HA/GR and SDRA FROWN UPON our OHC's!

12. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Yea, if the 2.3 Lima were allowed I'd have one built already!

13. Old28

Old28

Kenneth S -- You might look at building a 300 Ford for a SDRA dragster, This is a real nice motor and within the SDRA rules. Built right it's a 11.25 - 11.75 ride and very competitive.

14. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

15. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

The craigslist Ford six I found turned out to be a 300 with an automatic. Guess that makes me a Senior Dragster.

Lenny

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yep, that'll slide right into the SDRA. Go for it. :cool:

17. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    If I had a 300 Ford (I do) or a 292 Chevy (I do) I might be inclined to forsake the early 50's style and jump ahead half a decade and build one of these. Especially if I lived in an area devoid of HA/GR's or SDRA's.

With a little extra tubology this chassis could pass NHRA tech.

Just some food for thought, fellas.

18. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

I fit right into the Senior Dragster thing myself. I remember telling a fellow student I was using AARP rod bolts!

Daniel Clark likes this.
  19. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Got a 230 and that's what I've thought about doing. Saw this one last week at Sealy Texas.

Attached Files:

20. racer32

racer32

Pretty sure there would be more interest here in TX if there was a place to run them other than Tulsa or Mokan. I'd already have started building if there was. Has anyone ever talked to the Torques (Texas Thaw) or the Burfords (Nostalgia Nats) about a HA/GR or SDRA class at their events? I'd throw something together for two races a year that close, lol.

21. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

There the Texas Timing Association also, racer32 is right though without other places to race them ther won't be very many built (especially in the middle of Texas).

22. 97

There were none in California and nowhere to race either , until Dick built his and encouraged a few others to build.

23. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Point correct. Gentlemen, what it takes is for someone to build one and show up at a strip. Then it's on the strip operators to find a way to run the "cute" new/old car(s). Trust me, they'll want to see'em run as much as we do, because the crowd likes'em, and they like a crowd.
    Also trust me, they won't do a thing until you bring'em something real to do it with ......... and when you do, they'll like it. :cool:

It's their strip (which is a business) that you need to court.
    It's our car (with its audience appeal) that you can do it with.

A couple of places've gotten a group of builders together to build three or more of'em right from the start (Tulsa, the Aussies, the Oregon group, etc.).
    Can you see the glow in a strip owner's eye when they show up together?
    Oh yeah, he'll find a way to run'em. You can bet cash on that.

24. racer32

racer32

OK, I'm getting REALLY close to being convinced. A buddy of mine has some kind of old sand drag or mud buggy chassis and a Chevy inline 6...maybe I can convince him to sell them to me.

25. stronga

stronga

Has anyone followed through and built or started building a car? I go to the Southwest Heritage Racing Association races and sure have gotten the bug. A SDRA car would be more my style. A 4.65 to 5.55 index in the 1/8 is to fast and expensive for my skills and nerve. 11.50 to 12.50 sounds better.